Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Prootwaddles

Really, their IQ should be 7, not 6, because it was never intended that they be incompetent with weapons . . .

At IQ 7 they still should not be Literate, so the slogans painted on their bodies are probably traditional and/or misspelled.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Prootwaddles

Upping the IQ on Prootwaddles must be part of the new "No Prootwaddle Left Behind" program LOL!

Were these characters ever seriously intended for actual play?

We always assumed, and treated them as an inside-joke, shared between the Game Company and the Gamers. We never used them, but we got plenty of mileage out of identifying who was, and who was not a Prootwaddle, in our town. All these years later, in a given situation, I can just look at any one of my old TFT buddies, and say: "He's obviously a Prootwaddle"; and we all bust-out laughing like we are 16 years old again; every time.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-28-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Kirk

We used them or the equivalent when necessary.

Having children or other "innocents" harass a strong character puts them in a bind and can lead to a whole adventure, and just like wasps can be the achilles'
heel to a Player who is trying to abuse the rules or is just being a PITA.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #4
Skarg

We ALMOST never used them. I don't think other GM's put them anywhere in their worlds. One other GM had a lot of fun with hobgoblins (including making IQ 6 talents, such as Counting I, Counting II..., but Prootwaddles are even more ridiculous and pathetic.

I did put a few on my campaign maps, as low humor, but I don't think they came into play, my players gave me a hard time about them actually existing because they were unbelievable to them, and I kind of regretted putting them in. I already had more than enough low humor and nations and races (mostly hobgoblins) that were incompetent or dumb and basically targets for misfortune and/or something to look steeply down at and have be ridiculously ridiculous.

Not that their section and the idea of them isn't funny, but they seemed too silly even for us.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
David Bofinger

Like Jim we treated them as a something to read and laugh at, not something to use in a game. Like a closet drama that isn't intended to be produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Really, their IQ should be 7, not 6, because it was never intended that they be incompetent with weapons
Or you could make more weapons IQ 6, so they can't learn to use a sword but can cope with a mace. Swords are supposed to require more skill than other melee weapons, aren't they?

Quote:
At IQ 7 they still should not be Literate, so the slogans painted on their bodies are probably traditional and/or misspelled.
I wrote up spells for IQ 7 prootwaddles who took up wizardry. Some of them explained how they managed to write slogans without being literate. https://tft.brainiac.com/pmwiki/pmwi...mDavidBofinger
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
Rick_Smith

They always felt like someone was making fun of retarded people. A joke in very poor taste.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
larsdangly

I always interpreted them as dips&it hobbits, not intellectually disabled people.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

They were in fact based on the behavior of silly people at SCA camping events.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
They were in fact based on the behavior of silly people at SCA camping events.
LOL!!! We knew it was an inside joke!... we just didn't know WHO the Prootwaddles were. I have to call my cousin immediately,.. Headline: PROOTWADDLES IDENTIFIED AT LAST.

ROFL!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
LOL!!! We knew it was an inside joke!... we just didn't know WHO the Prootwaddles were. I have to call my cousin immediately,.. Headline: PROOTWADDLES IDENTIFIED AT LAST.

ROFL!

JK
sorry for the question, what is a "SCA" camping event?