Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #41
flyingwombat

Default Re: [Monster Hunter] I Need Help With Character Generation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust View Post
I already turned the character in. I'll talk to the GM about changing it.
If your GM is experienced, he might make the suggestion.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #42
Nautilust

He's no very experienced with GURPS, he has more experience with D&D and some experience with Shadowrun. Same as I do. I didn't even notice how suicidal it was till someone said something.

I just saw it as a way to keep shooting when my teammates are down. Which happens alot. They are both squishy. And have no real plans on fixing that. One characters buying up Armor of Faith, but no HP so that'll help a little but not alot. And the other has no plans to improve Armor or HP. In the case of them both going down i'm probably dead already. I mean I guess I could run but that would be cowardly.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #43
Kelly Pedersen

The problem with Berserk is that, unless you invest in significantly more HP and/or DR than you currently have, is that it really doesn't do much to keep you in the fight longer. Berserk means you can't defend at all, and defense is a big deal in GURPS. For example, if you can't defend, enemies are free to do what's called a telegraphic attack against you (it's the reverse of a deceptive attack: they get +4 to hit, in exchange for you getting +2 to defend, but that doesn't matter when you get no defense). An enemy could, for instance, attack your vitals. That's normally -3 to hit, but with a telegraphic attack, it's net +1. And vitals hits do X3 damage. So unless you have three times as many hit points as a typical person, or put a lot of strong armor over your vitals, you'll end up losing HP faster than you would if you were actually defending. And there's lots of similar tricks opponents can do - cripple your limbs so you can't reach or attack them, hit you in the skull for even more damage, blind you... the list goes on.

I'd honestly suggest a different set of disadvantages. Berserk's just too deadly. Especially in a Monster Hunters game, where there are a number of creatures that have the capacity to move in from outside your effective melee range, hit you, and move back out again, exploiting your lack of defenses and not even giving you a chance to hit back.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #44
Nautilust

It doesn't matter anyways it looks like I won't be playing this character.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #45
mr beer

I see it no longer matters but FYI Berserk is one of those Disadvantages I'm just never taking for a character unless it's for a one-shot or they just have no location-based vulnerabilities.

It's just too easy to take out anything remotely human in most games. Telegraphic Attack + Arm or Leg or Vitals is trivial even for mooks. Telegraphic Attack + Eye is only -5 so if you're fighting a skilled opponent, they're going to kill you.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote