Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Spoilerrific)

Reminds me of my favorite Cinema Snob quote: "Ninjas on motorcycles - the stealthiest kind of ninjas."
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Reminds me of my favorite Cinema Snob quote: "Ninjas on motorcycles - the stealthiest kind of ninjas."
"Surely those guys aren't ninjas! They're on motorcycles, and motorcycles are loud and obvious!" Oldskool Ninjaing: Hiding in plain sight.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
-If Furiosa is able to establish control, will she command enough of a force that the Citadel can usefully intervene in the conflicts in Bullet Farm and Gas Town? (Unlikely, since she and Max and the Green Place women killed many of the War Boys, and many of those who survive would much rather kill her, than work for her.)
Remember also that the War Boys all suffer from leukemia or something similar. They survive only by literally draining the blood of others. If Furiosa is unwilling to be a part of that, she will soon find herself without an army. If she's willing to continue the practice of 'bloodbagging' - is she really that much better than Immortan Joe?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #24
chandley

Quote:
Remember also that the War Boys all suffer from leukemia or something similar. They survive only by literally draining the blood of others. If Furiosa is unwilling to be a part of that, she will soon find herself without an army. If she's willing to continue the practice of 'bloodbagging' - is she really that much better than Immortan Joe?
Or does she make a morally grey choice of rounding up "volunteers" (paid in food, shelter, mothersmilk, etc) to keep her current crop of Warboys and Warpups going? Certainly, there would be no shortage of folks willing to work as a bloodbag in exchange for basic necessities. Whether that counts as actual consent or not though...

And the 4 remaining mothers where all pretty adamant that their sons (and daughters, presumably) wouldnt grow up to be warlords. So there is a strong pacifist faction in her government to contend with.

Sounds like Imperator Furiousa could use a handful of hardasses willing to go out in the bad world and do some things for her.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #25
Anders

I definitely think the mothersmilk has to go. These women were kept as dairy cows - I can not see that co-habit with an ideology that says "We're not things."
Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
chandley

Quote:
I definitely think the mothersmilk has to go. These women were kept as dairy cows - I can not see that co-habit with an ideology that says "We're not things."
I dont disagree except: It is clearly one of their major trade goods, and changing it to a job, as opposed to dairy cow, might be enough of a moral uplift to continue it.

There are, after all, women in current times who do that as a job. Now, Furiosa has access to a wider variety of plants based on the seed bank, so that might fill the gap in trade goods. Or she could use those luxuries as a way to pay for jobs like bloodbag and dairy cow (she might want to rename both jobs though...) that Immortan Joe didnt pay for, other than in a kind of basic safety.

Another option is to have another town start up the practice, using food they trade with the Citadel (and thus Furiosa's government) for... and now what does she do?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
Anders

Mothersmilk isn't a very effective way to get nutrients to fully-grown people. However, it does contain antibodies and if the War Boys have a weak immune system I could see certain benefits in giving it to them. Otherwise I saw it as doubly symbolic: a) you literally turn women into dairy animals, and b) Joe is mother as well as father to the War Boys since he provides them with milk.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
chandley

Quote:
Mothersmilk isn't a very effective way to get nutrients to fully-grown people. However, it does contain antibodies and if the War Boys have a weak immune system I could see certain benefits in giving it to them. Otherwise I saw it as doubly symbolic: a) you literally turn women into dairy animals, and b) Joe is mother as well as father to the War Boys since he provides them with milk.
True, true. I saw it as a luxury item, not a staple. Your point b) though, that is a good one for having another town do it. Sets up a good environment in game to explore the players and their characters reaction to that.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #29
seaweedbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
You'd need to dig into the background of the setting a little bit deeper, so as to better explain exactly why the apocalypse happened and what the results were.
That I think would be group dependent...If i'm going to play in a Mad Max RPG..i honestly wouldn't care what happened in the past..just tell me after or during which movie and I'm good to go..as would a number of player's i'm sure. Don't forget the movie runs on Rule of Cool as it's fuel. So i can see a number of bang skills being used, at least that's how I would do it.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedbrain View Post
That I think would be group dependent...If i'm going to play in a Mad Max RPG..i honestly wouldn't care what happened in the past..just tell me after or during which movie and I'm good to go..as would a number of player's i'm sure. Don't forget the movie runs on Rule of Cool as it's fuel. So i can see a number of bang skills being used, at least that's how I would do it.
Bang skills are definitely part of the setting. Hmm... you may not care about what happened in the past, but IME it builds a more vibrant setting if the GM knows. Look at the movie - there's a lot of backstory that never made it into the movie directly, but it's there in hints and allusions.

Tags
mad max, setting