Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Goblins

FWIW, I liked that TFT didn't have kobolds, especially not D&D-style kobolds, which aren't much like actual kobolds.

(Ogres are defined as stupid vicious giants on ITL page 55.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #22
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
So maybe, for Hobgoblins:

These are big, stupid goblins. They are often found in the service of “real” goblins. Hobgoblins are afraid of goblins, and will never attack them unless commanded to by other goblins. Although bigger than goblins, they are smaller and weaker than most other races. They tend to be simple, brutal creatures, and do not keep their word as do Goblins.
A Hobgoblin character starts with ST 7, DX 8, and IQ 7, with 8 extra points added anywhere.

Yes, we may need some slightly-lower-ST weapons, though I'm happy with requiring very weak creatures to use daggers, as always. Just because a hobgoblin CAN go out there with ST 7 does not mean he should.
Looks good to me!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #23
JLV

One of the more intriguing variants on Orcs I read was the Harn take on the "gargun." It's well worth a read if you have the time.

In fact, I found it so intriguing, I used it once in a campaign, in which Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs, and a pseudo Uruk-Hai group that I just gave up and named "Fomorians" were all different forms to the egg-laying, Tolkien-esque, Gargun hordes. It worked pretty well, and was surprisingly challenging for the players to wrap their heads around. But I digress...

Another goblin-like creature that I ran across in what I seem to remember was a Sci-Fi novel (which alas, I can no longer recall the title or author of), was a little green, pointy-eared, fella from a high gravity planet, that could literally toss Humans around like matchsticks. He also used a sword with devastating results, as I recall...

I think having different variations on a theme is well worth doing, and would love to see lots of variants on these things. But I will totally agree with Skarg that if we have Kobolds, let's not have them be blue skinned dogs! (I remember that in some game (was it Swords and Sorcery?), SPI had Kobolds that were some kind of earth creature, not unlike a small, less capable Earth Elemental.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #24
Dave Crowell

Kobolds should be blue however, that is the source of the lovely colour Cobalt Blue. They should not be dogs though.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #25
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Kobolds should be blue however, that is the source of the lovely colour Cobalt Blue. They should not be dogs though.
Cobalt. "I don't think that word means what you think it does." ;-)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Mine are lowest-ish on the dragonkin pecking order. FWYW. True Dragon-->Lindorm-->half-dragon-->lizardfolk (ešlahrogn)-->kobold
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #27
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Cobalt. "I don't think that word means what you think it does." ;-)
The words are all related. Cobalt arsenide ores being named for kobalds for the way they mess up the smelting of ores they curse (by being present), and being used in the production of the cobalt aluminum oxide ceramic colorant that is the original cobalt blue.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #28
Dave Crowell

Besides, in a fantasy world Cobalt Blue paint is extracted from actual Kobolds. It's why being an artist is an adventuring occupation.

I do think that if TFT includes Kobolds they should be distinct to D&D Kobolds, not that I will scream if they are not included. I like T&T's frog-like goblins as well as those from Labyrinth and The Hobbit, at least three different takes on the "same" creature. Let TFT develop its own flavors.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #29
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The words are all related. Cobalt arsenide ores being named for kobalds for the way they mess up the smelting of ores they curse (by being present), and being used in the production of the cobalt aluminum oxide ceramic colorant that is the original cobalt blue.
(My comment was a joke.)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #30
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Adventure title/seed: The Kobold Blues.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote