Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
vitruvian

Default Re: Armor bought as Damage Resistance Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
The OP refered to the negative reaction to armour mentioned in Basic Set. Accordingly, it seems he believes it is necessary to replicate that when the power armor appears. So what he wants is not a unique feature of THIS armour, but for this armour to replicate what is a general feature known about armour.
It's still DR being bought with character points, not armor bought as gear. Therefore, if its activation or use results in a reaction roll modifier, it's worth a Nuisance Effect limitation, just as much as an Innate Attack with gruesome special effects might be limited.

Reducing your Move and Dodge due to encumbrance is also a general feature known about armor, but it doesn't apply to DR bought with CP unless and until a limitation is applied either.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #52
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Each and every time it's summoned and fades in?

(...)

Don't see Switchable. Is that meant to be included in the custom 'Fade' limitation?
Yes, the PC will need to prepare before every use to have the full power available.

And, yes, both preparation required and fade seems to justify switch without paying for it alone. At least if I understood well what is written in powers and what Kromm said.

If it is not right, I will have to go back to work in this armor a little bit more.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #53
BaHalus

Quote:
I'd probably leave the Gadget limitations alone, since we already found enough limitations to get it to -80%, and keep it a mystical 'soul armor' effect that just happens to look rather like armor bought as gear. Kind of like the Marvel Universe character Ilyana Rasputin aka Magik.

Pair it with a 'summoned sword' bought simply as a Melee Innate Attack of reasonable size, maybe with the same Nuisance Effect of taking a few seconds to call up, and you've got quite a nice power suite.
Oh yeah! Actually, the magical sword is my first idea. The armor came in conseqüence. I have some doubts in how to make the sword fit my ideas using the RAW either.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #54
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
It's still DR being bought with character points, not armor bought as gear. Therefore, if its activation or use results in a reaction roll modifier, it's worth a Nuisance Effect limitation, just as much as an Innate Attack with gruesome special effects might be limited.

That's subsumed in the visibility modifier, just like any drawback of visibility (e.g. ruins stealth) is subsumed, for example, in Innate Attacks. You get point for it on DR because DR is otherwise invisible.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #55
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
That's subsumed in the visibility modifier, just like any drawback of visibility (e.g. ruins stealth) is subsumed, for example, in Innate Attacks. You get point for it on DR because DR is otherwise invisible.
I don't see where it's been established that DR is necessarily either visible or not. Certainly, there's no support for charging extra for DR that looks like normal human skin, but neither is Visible mentioned as a viable limitation for the advantage, either, and there have been plenty of character writeups and templates including DR that consists of scales, stony or steely skin, and the like that didn't get any such limitation. If there's a negative reaction modifier when the DR is active, the cleanest way to model that is probably Nuisance Effect at -5 per -1 to the Reaction Roll.

Of course, for this particular concept, I'm kind of iffy about full plate really resulting in that -4 modifier in too many situations anyway, and therefore a significant modifier needing to be modeled when buying DR that looks like full plate. Going by that, I'd expect to see similar or worse modifiers for modern and ultratech suits of armor that make the wearer look like a robot, or the powered armor Dreadnaught template in Supers.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #56
Dinadon

Quote:
I don't see where it's been established that DR is necessarily either visible or not. Certainly, there's no support for charging extra for DR that looks like normal human skin, but neither is Visible mentioned as a viable limitation for the advantage, either, and there have been plenty of character writeups and templates including DR that consists of scales, stony or steely skin, and the like that didn't get any such limitation. If there's a negative reaction modifier when the DR is active, the cleanest way to model that is probably Nuisance Effect at -5 per -1 to the Reaction Roll.

Of course, for this particular concept, I'm kind of iffy about full plate really resulting in that -4 modifier in too many situations anyway, and therefore a significant modifier needing to be modeled when buying DR that looks like full plate. Going by that, I'd expect to see similar or worse modifiers for modern and ultratech suits of armor that make the wearer look like a robot, or the powered armor Dreadnaught template in Supers.
I think the key thing about Visible is that people aren't remembering what it does and are just going by the name. One of the effects of Visible is that you can't be stealthy, period, as it draws people's attention. Whilst armor can be noticed, it doesn't draw people's attention just for being in the vicinity. Thus Visible isn't appropriate. It's a similar thing with No/Low Signature between what it does and what people think it does. An Innate Attack with Low/No Signature is a silenced weapon that can kill people quietly. People don't notice when the weapon is used, but that is independent of them noticing the weapon itself. They may wonder why Bob suddenly dropped dead, but if you're the only with a gun suspicions may be raised. For DR it's effect is to stop damage, and people notice it when it does that. Taking Low/No Signature means they wouldn't notice that you have DR stopping their attacks from working, despite looking a complete mess.

As for the reaction modifier, I wouldn't price it in myself. It's a reaction modifier that applies when wearing armor in inappropriate situations. These situations are those where there is no need to wear armor! Since you can take the armor off at will I don't see how it would be limiting, especially as you don't need to find somewhere to put your armor when you're not wearing it.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #57
BaHalus

Not necessarily. I don't know what will be the thoughts of people in new towns or tribes. They could be very agressive. And I will have to take several seconds to activate the armor back.

An assassin could be chasing me in town too. And I will have to deactivate the armor while I am in town.

I don't know, I don't think -20% is fair, but don't think it is a 0 point feature.

Tags
ampliations, armour, damage resistance, fade, limitations