Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
PIELIKEI

Default [Powers] Supernatural "Omnisight"

So I currently have a character who can feel the basic building blocks of the universe (pseudoscience being I can feel the vibrations of the strings in string theory). As such one of her powers is the ability to detect and pinpoint anything nearby.

When I first made the power, I made it simply with Vibration Sense with Sense of Perception (p86) with a Cosmic Power source (Cosmic 50%).

Currently I'm also looking at 360 degree vision with Panoptic 2 (p39) and it seems worse in every way.

In the list below
360V stands for 360 Degree Vision with Panoptic 2
VS stands for Vibration Sense with Sense of Perception
  • 360V is 25pts+60%=40pts while VS is 10pts+100%=20pts
  • 360V still requires light unless you have another advantage. VS doesn't.
  • 360V afaik doesn't allow you to see through objects. VS is allowed even in a sealed suit or vacuum so it does.

I will say that I did cheat a tiny bit here and used the Cosmic modifier to avoid the drawback of not being able to detect details. Even with a 50% added on, VS is still 25 pts vs 40. With 300% cosmic tacked on, VS is worth 50 pts. Which is worth 10 more than 360V. That is the price of Penetrating Vision 1, and still doesn't allow you to see in the dark.

Is there something else I am missing here? Should I just not be allowed to tag the cosmic modifier on to VS to detect details? Should I be forced to take both for this power?
PIELIKEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Powers] Supernatural "Omnisight"

GURPS Powers Enhanced Senses adds some modifiers you might like.
What your trying to build here is a spatial sense right?
Even with the Sense of Perception modifier it wont see through objects, like walls but will around objects that totally dont block in my opinion.

Is it useful outside combat, like seeing extreme detail? I created a modifier for Clairsentience in GURPS Powers Totem and Nature Spirits that might be worth a look.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 AM   #3
Andreas

Vibration sense has some other disadvantages over vision. Page 96 in the basic set has rules for how to detect things with vibration sense. Significantly, there is no mention of the huge +10 "in plain sight" modifier you can get for vision rolls.

The same page also mentions that using vibration sense when attacking can give you penalties.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Vibration sense has some other disadvantages over vision. Page 96 in the basic set has rules for how to detect things with vibration sense. Significantly, there is no mention of the huge +10 "in plain sight" modifier you can get for vision rolls.

The same page also mentions that using vibration sense when attacking can give you penalties.
Both are Basic, Intermediate Range, Precise (meaning you can use them to fight),
Vibration Sense: 360 degree

Vision: 120 degree, Discriminatory

Vibration needs to add Discriminatory to match vision quality. Can't find the modifier in Enhanced Senses so it might be in Powers. Wish the book had a table for modifiers be handier to reference quickly.
Profiling, +50% would be good. Might be Discriminatory, its late and I have people distracting me.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
PIELIKEI

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Vibration needs to add Discriminatory to match vision quality. Can't find the modifier in Enhanced Senses so it might be in Powers. Wish the book had a table for modifiers be handier to reference quickly.
I went ahead and added a modifier +150% discriminatory. This is used (such as with mana dampener and static) to determine friend from foe... which probably means that it is good enough to "detect details".

Plus the +150% modifier for 10 points in vibration sense is worth 15 points which lines up the other discriminatory senses.

I don't quite like "profiling" as my character doesn't have eidetic memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Powers Enhanced Senses adds some modifiers you might like.
What your trying to build here is a spatial sense right?
Even with the Sense of Perception modifier it wont see through objects, like walls but will around objects that totally dont block in my opinion.

Is it useful outside combat, like seeing extreme detail? I created a modifier for Clairsentience in GURPS Powers Totem and Nature Spirits that might be worth a look.
Sense of Perception said it works in sealed environments (which have a solid barrier) and vacuums (which vibrations can never travel through anyways), in addition you can ignore "background noise" so that would be vibrations coming from other places (I suppose). I'd assume that meant that Sense of Perception came with the ability to detect any vibration regardless of line of effect towards you with the only main modifier being distance.

Yeah, the sense is supposed to be in detail outside of combat, like sight. Would this require "Extended" (modifier from vision) to cover different scales of vibrations? So strings vs photons, molecules vs sound vs earthquake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Significantly, there is no mention of the huge +10 "in plain sight" modifier you can get for vision rolls.
That is fair, I do still have vision though :D. But I can see how that would be better.

Last edited by PIELIKEI; 08-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #6
whswhs

Mass Perception in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses is built as a Detect with Reflexive (meaning it's always working; you don't have to consciously turn it on).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
PIELIKEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Mass Perception in GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses is built as a Detect with Reflexive (meaning it's always working; you don't have to consciously turn it on).
So Detect Mass -- Very Common (30), Analyzing (+100%), Precise (+100%), Reflexive (40%) would be a 102 pt

which does seem like a good point value that wouldn't negate 360 vision.

I think I'll eventually upgrade into that from Vibration sense, and have VS be more like Toph's sensing from Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
awesomenessofme1

I don't know it would stack up with the rest of the options in terms of effects, but Scanning Sense (Para-Radar) (Extended Arc (360°), +125%) [90] is another option
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote