Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Urist

Default Example of play: Multiple monsters?

Is there an example of play that includes multiple monsters? It might help me to see in action some things like fire modifiers and how they work for the encounter as a whole.
Urist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: Example of play: Multiple monsters?

That's actually not very hard to understand. Multiple monsters all fight you together. They combine their combat strengths into one overall number (the same is true for the Munchkin side if you have a helper). If any of them have some sort of bonus or weakness, then it's applied to the group as a whole.

For example, if a monster is weak to fire and says it takes double damage from it, then any fire items you have get a doubled bonus. If another monster joins the combat that's not weak to fire, you're still getting the bonus, because the fire-weak monster is still part of the group. You're just adding another monster to its side's overall combat strength.

Same thing happens in other cases. If you're fighting a group of monsters and one of them is Undead, you can use a Cleric power to get a total of +9 against the entire group. You don't get +9 against one monster and then nothing against the others, because you aren't fighting the monsters individually. Get it?

The only notable exception I can think of is if you have some way of removing a single monster from a combat entirely. Examples would be a Charm Spell, certain cards like Pollymorph Potion, or if the monster has some kind of instant-kill clause like the Flea. These can knock one monster out of the group, pretty much, but you'll need to defeat the rest of them before you can claim any rewards.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Urist

Got it.

There's a new entry to the FAQ that mentions fire/flame weapons and I was mistaking that part of the sentence to mean an actual +/- bonus (when it actually just meant like you said an immunity or weakness) and it threw me off.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
SmokeRulz

Well it works for +/- bonuses too, pretty much. Though I'm not sure if there's any monsters that get a flat minus penalty (like -5) when faced with fire/flame items. If there are, then the -5 is applied to the combined combat strength of the monster group as a whole, just like any other penalty the monsters may have. Positive bonuses work the same.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Urist

Exactly.

My original misunderstanding of the FAQ entry has been purged from memory.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
monster, multiple monsters