Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Emulating No-Smell's Effect

I am trying to emulate the effect of the No-Smell spell. I was thinking of using Obscure with Defensive (+50%) and Stealthy (+100%) but is that enough to make it a personal effect? The default for Obscure is an Area Effect but the spell is a personal one. I was thinking of reverse engineering "No Area of Effect" from the Area Affect Enhancement, but -50% seems over done for that. Suggestions anyone? (I tried a google search for other people's attempt to emulate the spell with a search of for site:forum.sjgames.com "no-smell" but nothing came up.)

Last edited by nerdvana; 04-11-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Kromm updated the title of the thread for me. Yay!
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Emulating No-Spell's Effect

As per Kromm, in a reply to a PM from munin, Invisibility covers this. Personally, I think it's kinda pricey for the effect. Earlier in that same thread, I suggested basing it on a leveled version of Sanitized Metabolism, so that 10 levels would make you undetectable by smell.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
nerdvana

Default Re: Emulating No-Smell's Effect

That does seem extremely pricy... and by default doesn't affect machines either. Oh my.

Last edited by nerdvana; 04-11-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fixing the subject line to match the thread
Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
... I was thinking of reverse engineering "No Area of Effect" from the Area Affect Enhancement, but -50% seems over done for that..
RPK thinks -50% is okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
That does seem extremely pricy... and by default doesn't affect machines either. Oh my.
Both Obscure and variants of Invisibility can produce similar effects. Per p. P115, "If two options are equally suitable and simple, choose the one that costs fewer points." Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by munin; 04-11-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: title
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
nerdvana

I was having trouble editing the original subject line, but this has been done by Kromm for me. I updated my inter thread posts, others may or may not update their's so watch your title when posting. :)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
I was having trouble editing the original subject line, but this has been done by Kromm for me. I updated my inter thread posts, others may or may not update their's so watch your title when posting.
Looks like I'm the lone holdout... I'll make a note of it ;)

The creation of other-sensory analogues to Invisibility used to tax me before that ruling of Kromm's. I still think that pricing them based on the relative utility of the spoofed sense has some merit. I've proposed the Soundless trait before, at 20 points, as sort of an Invis. to hearing, and I kind of like the 10 point value for No-Smell. I guess "Untastable" would only be a Perk. Invisibility to touch is an odd concept that I have always had trouble with, but I suppose it would be something like a limited form of Insubstantiality.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Looks like I'm the lone holdout... I'll make a note of it ;)

The creation of other-sensory analogues to Invisibility used to tax me before that ruling of Kromm's. I still think that pricing them based on the relative utility of the spoofed sense has some merit. I've proposed the Soundless trait before, at 20 points, as sort of an Invis. to hearing, and I kind of like the 10 point value for No-Smell. I guess "Untastable" would only be a Perk. Invisibility to touch is an odd concept that I have always had trouble with, but I suppose it would be something like a limited form of Insubstantiality.
Yeah, if someone wanted to be tactially "invisible" I'd insist that they had to take insubstantial (flesh only) or something like that. lol
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
Yeah, if someone wanted to be tactially "invisible" I'd insist that they had to take insubstantial (flesh only) or something like that. lol
Something like that, but they should still be vulnerable to punches and such.

Tags
limitations, magic, q&a