Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Is the Book of Unlife "canon" for Cidri?

Wights, elementals, and demons are all perfectly natural creatures. If you need help identifying regional subtypes of transdimensional beings then consult your local naturalist.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If you like. But i'm pretty sure the wraith thing was just an oversight rather than an attempt to make a parallel track of monsters, as was done for vampires.
Yes, I just neglected to carry that over from the core rules on the Wights entry. It's not an attempt to alter their definition or create a subtype. GMs should retain that aspect when using Wights.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
And so there are several breeds of wraiths that typically behave similar to each other but Bou Wraiths have slightly different traits than Legsee Wraiths. [/I]
Not to be confused with Legsy Wraiths, which are undead dancers related to the succubus and known for shoving their shanks under the pub table for flirtatious physicality.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #14
JustAnotherJarhead

I'm cool with the BoU, I mean it's a fantasy game, right?

The only area I see an issue with is when we venture close to Divine power, as this is clearly not a Cidri type of thing.

I must admit though it has been fun, playing Father Jozef in Tower of the Moon who is very much modeled after a D&D style "Cleric" or Holy Warrior of sorts, swinging mace, and holding his large shield, and holding up his garlic and Talisman/Holy symbol as he is determine to vanquish the "spirits" back to where they came from.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #15
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
The only area I see an issue with is when we venture close to Divine power, as this is clearly not a Cidri type of thing.
It is at my table, where Theurgy works! :D
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #16
stefanj

I've been trying to find a justification for "animal spirits" on Cidri, and it might have some applicability to the undead and spirits.

Given magic -- the ability for a mind to alter the physical world, harness energy, shuttle things from other planes of existence, communicate with other minds -- we have to conclude that there is an energy field of some sort beyond kinetics and electromagnetism. Mana, The Force, Phlogiston.

Minds can alter this field, and this field can alter minds. It's likely a subtle and fine-grained thing.

Hypothesis: Even when not wielding magic, a mind tweaks this field. Over a lifetime, it sets up a complex pattern or standing wave. A spirit, if you will. If strong enough, it could animate what would otherwise be a dead body.

In my animal spirit model I've been thinking through, the desires and fears and aspirations of countless generations of animals generates a pattern that roughly corresponds to a guardian spirit for that animal.

And this *could* if you really stretch it create the sort of gods you see in settings like Discworld, who are dependent on believers for their existence and powers.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #17
hcobb

What if the natives have built up the spirit of their first queen into a mighty "goddess" level?
Old 04-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #18
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
I've been trying to find a justification for "animal spirits" on Cidri, and it might have some applicability to the undead and spirits.

Given magic -- the ability for a mind to alter the physical world, harness energy, shuttle things from other planes of existence, communicate with other minds -- we have to conclude that there is an energy field of some sort beyond kinetics and electromagnetism. Mana, The Force, Phlogiston.

Minds can alter this field, and this field can alter minds. It's likely a subtle and fine-grained thing.

Hypothesis: Even when not wielding magic, a mind tweaks this field. Over a lifetime, it sets up a complex pattern or standing wave. A spirit, if you will. If strong enough, it could animate what would otherwise be a dead body.

In my animal spirit model I've been thinking through, the desires and fears and aspirations of countless generations of animals generates a pattern that roughly corresponds to a guardian spirit for that animal.

And this *could* if you really stretch it create the sort of gods you see in settings like Discworld, who are dependent on believers for their existence and powers.
Sounds good to me!
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:25 PM   #19
DeadParrot

I would consider BoU canon. BUT, Cidri is a very large place, 48 continents being mentioned. Maybe the BoU is only in effect on a few of those 48. Could make for a reason for characters making a trip. Rumors of strange creatures that seem to follow different rules. A wizard with money sponsors an expedition to investigate.

One thing I noticed when our group did a short series of sessions using BoU is getting the Players to not use the standard D&D undead types when dealing with BoU critters that seem to be back from the dead. Some Players kept wanting to load characters up on silver weapons and garlic to deal with a troublesome spirit despite the GM and sometimes other players stating the characters had no knowledge that would support such preparations.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #20
larsdangly

I take a very 'Yes, and...' approach to Cidri. Everything in the official ITL canon is true, as is everything else that I think is fun or interesting.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote