Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Jim de Mighty

Default Re: I don't want to make FATAL 2nd Edition

[/QUOTE] The AD&D spells (especially the more advanced ones) each are a kluge on the rules, forcing exceptions and special cases all over the place. Very little of it makes sense in the context of the other rules. [/QUOTE]

This is not a bad thing in and of itself, depending on the angle you are going for. AD&D was aiming at creating a totally fantastical world where magic DID distort reality, and break the laws of nature. Having spells override rules is a bit messy, but it served its purpose to enhance the feel of the game.

GURPS, on the other hand attempts to bring realism to the fantasy world, which makes everything seem more coherent, but retains the fantastical theme - magic becomes a force of nature, with its own inherent boundaries and limitations, and so magic becomes an amendment within the game to the laws of physics.

Both are different approaches to the same problem, and both do a good job, in their own way. I have no idea about the magic system in my system, but it won't be that bloody stupid Vancian system from D&D.
Jim de Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote