Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #41
DanHoward

Default Re: Suggestion -- generic medieval mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Perhaps a variation on the man at arms -- but IIRC in the late medieval era lots of troops, horse & foot, were mercs.

Also the guards of many a castle (and presumably PCs will be venturing into castles at times) were mercenaries.
A mercenary is a soldier who serves in a foreign army. Most troops at this time served in the country in which they were raised. So they were professional soldiers, not mercenaries.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #42
phayman53

Default Re: [Basic] Realistic Low Tech Challengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasna View Post
Not if you combine this with the "Blunt Trauma and Edged Weapons" rule (Low Tech, p. 102): against Light Mail, a ST 10 man with a broadsword (1d+1 cut) could only inflict one point of crushing damage if he rolls 6.
True, and that could work for cuts. But other kinds of damage still get through armor too easily (unless you extend the LT rule to cover imp, but that does not make sense for most thrusts). My rule was meant to completely replace that LT rule and be simpler at the same time (no figuring out thresholds and how multiple layers interact). Still, I did have to lower and change the blunt trauma thresholds, but I also like the flavor of blunt trauma more than cr.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #43
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
One of my sources for neanderthal theorized that they would hide and jump on their prey, smashing them with axe or club.
Khoi-San do hunt with clubs, but it's a different method: they run the animal down over several km until it's too tired to bolt, and then club it to death. :D

Re: musketeers, the musket in Low-Tech has minimum ST 12, so I'd say make your musketeers beefier or give them caravels.

Oh, and this is a brilliant thread. Chapeau!
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #44
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
I'd not include Dull if you're looking at a realistic representation. There's zero evidence that Neanderthals were in any way mentally deficient when compared to modern humans
<SNIP>
I do not understand the rationale behind the one-weapon rule; it seems irrational. A hunter would carry a scraping tool, a knife, and some type of bush tool (a hand axe, for instance). Once you've killed the animal, you have to bleed it, then butcher it. Even if you don't use fire, you'll still need to clear brush for a shelter.
I read somewhere that Neanderthals were wiped out by homo sapiens because they didn't have as good as tool making mental facilities as our ancestors. So I'll consider removing it.
As to the one weapon rule, that's a carry over from a caveman template I found somewhere on the internet. I should get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Shouldn't the Legionnaire have Thrown Weapon (Spear)-13 listed in skills for the pilum? I see the pilum was written up in the brief table of the weapons/skills/damage and the equipment.
Thanks! there's a couple reasons why I showed this to the forum, and catching stuff like that is one of them. I've gone back and edited it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
Khoi-San do hunt with clubs, but it's a different method: they run the animal down over several km until it's too tired to bolt, and then club it to death. :D

Re: musketeers, the musket in Low-Tech has minimum ST 12, so I'd say make your musketeers beefier or give them caravels.

Oh, and this is a brilliant thread. Chapeau!
Sweet, definetly giving them more equipment and keeping those skills then. Probably going to add Running as well.

Basic Set has a musket at ST 10, but it also includes the rifle rest.

The intent of these writeups was to be mostly compatible with the Basic Set and not rely too heavily on supplements. (Though how can you have Spartans and Roman Legionnaires without Shield Wall Training?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #45
clu2415

I feel like it should be mentioned that mail and scale were also in common use by the Romans.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #46
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
I feel like it should be mentioned that mail and scale were also in common use by the Romans.
Indeed, mail was more common than lorica segmentata. There is some debate, however, about scale armor. As I understand it, there is some evidence for true scale armor worn by standard bearers. However, what most people think of as scale armor is actually lorica hamate (mail) with small metal scales threaded through the mail. This was reserved mostly for high ranking officers and must have been extremely expensive to make. Loadouts: Low-Tech pg. 23 calls this Hamata Squamataque, and it is DR5/3*, but is lighter than heavy mail and more expensive.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #47
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
I read somewhere that Neanderthals were wiped out by homo sapiens because they didn't have as good as tool making mental facilities as our ancestors. So I'll consider removing it.
Very old thinking.

Current tidbits about Neanderthal: their blood clotted more quickly than homo sapiens sapiens--an advantage when fighting close-range with prey, a disadvantage when it comes to heart disease; they were lactose-intolerant; it's possible that male Neanderthal/human hybrids were infertile, while female hybrids were not; it's possible that they had what we would consider hyperactive immune systems, and were actually wiped out by allergies when non-native plants moved north through Europe during climate change following the Ice Age. Then there is the increased risk for Crohn's disease, and the Type-2 diabetes....

Basically, the current thinking all boils down to Neanderthal had too small & too localized a breeding population, and were wiped out by accumulated in-breeding. We just took advantage of their gap in the eco-system.

Or, possibly, it was the wolf that did it. We had wolves (dogs); they did not. Makes running down prey animals so much easier.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #48
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk the Weekah View Post
Or, possibly, it was the wolf that did it. We had wolves (dogs); they did not. Makes running down prey animals so much easier.
I was wondering if Neanderthals were ever recorded as having dogs. In a TL0 setting you almost can't overstate the advantages of having a loyal canine companion. Their senses of hearing and smell would give you an astounding advantage.

We still have guard dogs and hunting dogs even now.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #49
Purple Haze

Dogs were domesticated ~15,000 years ago, Neanderthals went extinct ~30,000 years ago.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #50
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Well--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
A mercenary is a soldier who serves in a foreign army. Most troops at this time served in the country in which they were raised. So they were professional soldiers, not mercenaries.
There were exceptions. IIRC the condottieri of the fourteenth/fifteenth centuries were almost always Italians themselves, but still known as mercenaries. For Germany, Fritz Redlich in his "The German Military Enterpriser and his Work Force" talks about the sixteenth & seventeenth centuries, but does look at the antecedents of mercenary use in the fourteenth/fifteenth centuries. All the employees of the above were German.

Troops of the late Middle Ages and the early modern era serving for pay, rather than to fulfill a feudal obligation, tended to be known as mercenaries despite their national origins.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, opponents