Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #81
Celjabba

Default Re: Minor League Supers [Powers/Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Many of the Undersiders from Worm might fit into [250], at least near the start of their time with the Undersiders. Tattletale has some sort of extreme version of Common Sense + Danger Sense. Grue has some Linked Obscure effects, with very weak anti-super properties. Regent has something roughly akin to a Stunning Affliction, but since it lasts only a fraction of a second (he makes muscles spasm), he can typically only use it well in conjunction with a Wait. His Possession Advantage has some pretty heavy requirements to be used, so it would probably fit within the point budget. Bitch has a pretty hefty Beneficial Affliction, but it only works on dogs and doesn't give her any control over them, so I suspect she could fit there as well. Imp arguably has something like a Cosmic, self-only Obscure (she makes people forget she exists), which might fit within the budget.

Note aside from their powers none of the above characters would likely exceed [100]. Grue might, since he has fairly solid attributes and combat skills and isn't socially crippled, but I suspect he could be built under [100] without his powers.

Parian (high levels of TK, but limited to threads and stuffed animals made from said threads) and Foil (ETS and the ability to temporarily imbue any object with the ability to ignore barriers, powers, etc*) probably don't fit, but they were already fairly established capes when they joined the Undersiders. Skitter might have fit within [250] at the start, but I'd rather not make the mistake of underestimating her. That tends not to go well for people.
Skitter, even at the beginning, is not minor league, point wise.
Skitter - control(insect)+obscene levels of Comp. Mind, Vista - control(space), Amy - control(biology) would each be very expensive to build.

Beside the undersiders, some of the ward would qualifies as minor league: regular teenager with a hefty patron and duty, some quasi-military training and a power.

Vista and Clockblocker (not sure how to build him) are well over 250 pts.
So are Aegis (flight, regeneration and various injury tolerance), Crucible and Weld, if not by as much.

Could fit under 250, if you squeeze hard :
Triumph (sonic innate attack, minor regeneration)
Brownbeat (high ST, metabolic control, perhaps some limited morph)
Gallant (emotion sense, and innate attack with emotion control)
Chariot (aspected gadgetter)
Kid win (aspected gadgetter)
Shadow stalker (insubstanciality, limited walk on air)

Dinah, also. She is close to a zero point character outside of her power.

precognition [248] (active only -60%, directed +100%, limited use -10%, cosmic : can see farther than 1 week +300% , cosmic : no dice roll required +300%, reduced time +200%, reduced fatigue cost +40%, nuisance effect (crippling headache -5%), limited : not usable against immune target : -5%, nuisance effect : get result in term of probability -20%, reliable 10 +50% )

Tattletale have a mix of intuition, psychometry and oracle. At the start, she is probably under 250 pts.

Imp, I once statted her with something like

mind control (cindependent; area effect(big area); emanation; aura; Suggestion only, Only one suggestion (I am not here, Forget about me even existing until effect end); uncontrollable; once on, stay on; cosmic, NDDR; cosmic, irresistible attack)

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-27-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #82
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Will 13 [15];

Combat Reflexes [15]
Fearlessness 6 [12]
Why so much Fearlessness? That's a fear check of 21! Why not go with Unfazable?

Of course a fear check of 21 isn't that great since you fail on a roll of 14+, I'd drop one level of Fearlessness and replace it with the "Rule of 15" perk; meaning a base fear check of 20, failing on a roll of 15+.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #83
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Why so much Fearlessness? That's a fear check of 21! Why not go with Unfazable?

Of course a fear check of 21 isn't that great since you fail on a roll of 14+, I'd drop one level of Fearlessness and replace it with the "Rule of 15" perk; meaning a base fear check of 20, failing on a roll of 15+.
First, because Olga believes that she is a cinematic Cossack, and thus cinematically fearless.

Second, because as a character in a superheroic world, she will encounter things that give a penalty to Fright Checks. To keep the cinematic Cossack fearlessness, she has to not submit even to Very Scary things.

Third, I feel Unfazable is for more extreme people, ones who encounter supernatural or superhuman Scary Things on a weekly basis. That's a personal thing.

And lastly, I didn't think of the Perk thing.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #84
AlexanderHowl

One of the advantages that 250 CP offers is that it allows for heroes-in-training, similar in power to most of the characters in settings like My Hero Academia (settings like Teen Titans are above 250 CP). The characters might only have one power talent and one or two abilities, but they can improve with training. Of course, they can instead be C-list heroes like the Great Lake Avengers.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #85
awesomenessofme1

Roach has Regeneration (Extreme), Unkillable 1, Regrowth, and High Pain Threshold, but other than that, he is absolutely unremarkable. All 10s in his attributes and a few dozen points in skills balanced out by disadvantages. He's incredibly difficult to kill or disable, but he can't really do anything special beyond that. He can swim across a pit of sulfuric acid and emerge without a scratch, but a locked wooden door would give him serious trouble.

I would post a full character sheet, but I'm actually building him as a 500-point character. I just thought the 250 point version would be interesting.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #86
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
He's incredibly difficult to kill or disable. . .
He's a challenge to ingenuity, but not a big one. The simplest way to deal with him is to grapple him and tie him up.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #87
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
He's a challenge to ingenuity, but not a big one. The simplest way to deal with him is to grapple him and tie him up.
Or drop a multi-ton boulder on him and keep him there.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #88
Gold & Appel Inc

Kinda gutsy calling himself Roach. His recurring enemies should be a super who controls bugs, one with a cannibus theme, and one with the same powerset plus immunity to radiation and pain. All three want the name, each is too ethical or not motivated enough to kill him, intentionally. Swimming that acid lake just doesn't look and feel as cool when this other guy who can do it without even wincing shows up to challenge you to a race.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #89
AlexanderHowl

Unkillable 1 with Extreme Regeneration is actually pretty easy to kill off. For example, Toxic Attack 1d (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Aura, +80%; Cosmic, Irresistable Attack, +300%; Cyclic, 61 daily cycles, Removed with Esoteric Medicine, +600%; Melee, C, Dual Weapon, -20%; No Signature, +20%) [44] would be a relatively cheap way to counter his regeneration, since characters cannot heal HP while taking cyclic damage. In addition, 61d of toxic damage will deal an average of over 210 damage, twice as much as required to kill off an HP 10 superhuman with Unkillable 1.

The Poison Frog [250]

The Poison Frog is an amphibious superhuman with the above attack. She generates an aura that possess the spiritual essence of poison. When it hits, spiritual fragments imbed in the spirit's of her victims and continue to spread spiritual poison throughout their bodies until they die. While modern medicine is helpless against her spiritual poisons, traditional medicines are capable of treating her spiritual poisons. Other than her attack, the Poison Frog possesses Amphibious [10]; Doesn't Breath (Oxygen Absorption. -25%) [15]; Extra Arm (Tongue; Switchable, +10%; Temporary, Stuttering, -10%) [10]; Nictating Membrane 5 [5]; Night Vision 5 [5]; Temperature Tolerance 5 [5].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #90
awesomenessofme1

A few more supers that I've statted up:

Lux has, as the name would imply, light-based powers. He has a pair of Alternative Attacks, a Burning Attack laser and an Affliction that causes blindness. He can also create "illusions" (not real illusions that can fool people, just crude constructs of pure light). Finally, he can transform into a beam of light. This just manifests as Warp with a range limit and a special limitation I made, "direct line of sight required".

Paladin is a massively toned down Iron Man type. He has powered armor that protects him and gives a minor speed and strength boost. He wields a very high-quality sword and shield.

Decimal can shrink down to exactly 1/10 his normal size and maintain his strength and speed. He also has a specially designed suit that lets him glide when shrunk.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers