Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #61
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Sounds interesting, I don't have experience with hash converters... in the suggestion of not revealing feints (ie if your feint had succeeded, I could metagame by taking a Move maneuver to get out of range, forcing you to make a pathetic -5 to hit Move and Attack to benefit from your feint) where a feint is reported as a "miss", this would probably mean that even normal to-hit rolls should also be hashed.

You have the option to report a "miss" without the opponent knowing if it was truly a miss, or just an unrevealed feint.

I would say that only applies to default Feints and Ruses though. Something like a "Beat" seems like i should be obvious.

I don't think the hash lets us conceal dice rolls, just declarations. With a GM it could work, but even then It'd be a lot of extra overhead.

Quote:
If your feint had succeeded by 3+ points then there could also be the option of allowing you reduce your MoV by 2 so that you had feinted with a kick without needing to take a step.

It did succeed by 3, but I wouldn't have feinted with a kick, as the benefit of a feint for that character is his 2 point skill advantage. I had a 63% chance of winning, while with the kick it drops to 45%. And making the decision after rolling feels like cheating.

Quote:

I'm fine with losing my +1 damage and having it target your leg if you are, I just figure you wouldn't want to suffer that -2 for low-line parries.

In that case, choose your active defense, if you want to retreat you gotta pay that AP =/

So I can retreat for a dodge of 13 and 2 AP or leg parry for 12 and 1 AP. You're currently at 0/12 AP. I'm at 2 AP. We both suffer a -1 penalty if we spend any more FP. I hate these breakpoints. You got 36 AP to my 20. Oh well. I have a +2 to virtually every roll. I'll take a chance and make a leg parry.

rolled an 11! I parried!

Ok, lets spend that AP! Red moves as though he will kick again, but instead throws a fist!

ugg! 16. That's a miss. We're both at 0 AP.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #62
Plane

I'm going to take an Evaluate. Your turn
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Lets drop both of us to the FP penalty zone. I think you loose more than I do there.

1 spend an FP on an attack: a telegraphed kick at the left leg. Lets make you move instead of resting!

16 (Brawling) -1 (FP penalty) + 4 (telegraphed) -2(kick) -2 (left leg).
Its a success! at 13 vs. 15.
You defend at +2 from telegraphic.

HIW 10(HT) -1 (FP loss) + 5 (base) + 2(skill bonus) = 16

7 vs 16. success!

I PIF at the start of next round.

Defend yourself! step into the exhaustion zone!

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #64
Plane

HIW should be HTW (Hitting the Wall)

I drop from 10/12 FP to 9/12 FP to get enough AP to defend with (I knew I should've went with my instinct to continue with AOD...)

GIDtF means I also get the -1 to DX/IQ/HT. Certainly a bigger jump down in DX for me, though it's a bigger jump down in HT for you.

HTW 12(HT) -1 (FP loss) + 5 (base) + 2(skill bonus) = 18, since this is below 19 I must actually make the nuisance roll! Rolled a 7, I don't take damage.

Am now at 9/12 FP 6/12 AP, and spend 1 AP (down to 5/12 AP) to do a dodge. DX11/HT11 leaves me with a Basic speed of 5.5 instead of 6 and a base dodge of 8 instead of 9.

One Foe brings it to 9, I'll retreat for a +3 so I can roll against 12. Another +2 from it being telegraphed brings me up to 14. I roll a 7, successful dodge.

(should I have rolled against DX instead of Jumping to try and get a +1 to jump over the leg kick? Oh well)

It is now the turn after voluntarily spending FP, so I must roll Persistance is Futile now. IQ 9 +3 is 12, +2 relevant skill, +5 life or death = modified 18, still 17 or higher so I don't need to roll.

(for future battles, instead of that blanket +5 perhaps something like +1 per 20% of HP lost might make sense? It doesn't really become "life or death" until you are injured, right?)

Since I did an evaluate my last turn, I get to roll to recover more AP against my adjusted HT of 11 from 12. I rolled a 12... failure. Still at 5/12 AP.

Since you have a mere 5/10 AP, I think I will expend my +1 from my Evaluate to attack you. I make a normal attack maneuver and use my Free Step to close back into close range.

I'm spending 2 AP (from 5/12 to 3/12) to launch a DWA at you. The first is a telegraphed punch from my left hand (+4 offsets -4) at 14-4-1=9 skill. I roll a 9, it is a success, you are +2-1=+1 to defend against it. Actually... I forgot to add the +1 so it would be 9<10. Random hit location 10 = chest. Sub-location D = 5 (normal chest hit)

The second half is a telegraphed punch from my right hand at 13 skill. Rolled 11, success. RHL = 6 (right leg). Sub-location B = knee (joints). You would also be net +1 (+2-1) to defend against this 2nd half.

Ready to go down to 3/10 AP as well? You have 2 successful attacks to defend against! Remember you're basically -0.5 to dodge/parry due to fatigue, like I did above.

(BTW for future battles, what do you think of the -2 for low line parries assuming the leg, using -1 to parry for groin/pelvis, -3 to parry for knee and -4 to parry for foot? Too extreme? I'd give a +1 for crouching though, and crouching should probably give another -1 to hit any part of the abdomen)

Last edited by Plane; 01-08-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:39 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm at 4 AP, not 5.

Red twists and turns, retreating, burning 2 AP, dodging at 13, and rolling 8 and 7. He's now at 2 AP.

didn't we decide that we were applying injury to PIF? The conversation seems to wind down at post #43.

Regardless of that, He's going to telegraph another kick to the left leg.

I wish I could do a semi-telegraphic attack at 13 and -1 rather than 15. oh well.

15 vs 4. Is that a critical hit? I think that's a critical hit.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #66
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm at 4 AP, not 5.
Nice catch, I think I got our HTs confused and thought you were 6 then -1 for kick > 5, but you were 5 -1 for kick > 4.

Quote:
Red twists and turns, retreating, burning 2 AP, dodging at 13, and rolling 8 and 7. He's now at 2 AP.
Technically the 2nd dodge should be at 12, I would be applying the -1 for cumulative dodges in the same second suggested in Martial Arts, but you'd still make it by a huge amount.

Quote:
didn't we decide that we were applying injury to PIF? The conversation seems to wind down at post #43.
As opposed to shock? Yeah I think that hit a limbo because I wasn't sure how it worked. Didn't Cole eventually answer in some thread something similar to it scaling with high HP? For simplicity I'll say go withrounding up fractions, losing 4/12 HP is 1/3 so 3.33 rounds up to -4 anyway.

In that case instead of a modified 18 I should have a modified 14 so I should have rolled... I'll do that now to see how it turned out.

I rolled a 16... a failure with MoF 2. That loss of 4 HP to you is really hurting me! I should've put "Flesh Wounds" rules on the table, but neither character explicitly has unspent Character Points, and I don't like the idea of accruing debt without guidelines on what upper limits to put on that debt.

That leaves me with 2 PIF damage which would require 1 turn of Recovery Action or 2 turns of Zero Cost to heal it.

Since I didn't apply that and attacked immediately, per my previous on-the-fly ruling...
I shouldn't have been able to follow up with a DWA. Rather than replay all of that, I think I'll house-rule that you can expend up to 1 AP per second to "heal" PIF damage.
I would have to pay 2 AP to heal that damage... but I said you can only pay 1 per second, so I still shouldn't have been able to do it...

It occurs to me that PIF rules prevent beasts with low willpower from pushing themselve to the limit, even though some beasts are pushed to exert themselves without actively contributing their will, at the behest of another...

So what we could do, is if someone wants to act despite having unhealed FIP damage, is let them, but apply that FIP debt as further AP loss that round.

That's different than simply allowing 2 FIP to be healed per round, because I'll still be left with 1 FIP the next round that still needs to be healed. Instead, I lose a 2nd AP simply for being able to act.

So instead of being at 3/12 AP, in applying this debt, I am now at 1/12 and still have 1 PIF damage to contend with next turn...

Unless you wanted to do this some other way like maybe instead of MoF dmg it's MoF/2 (round up) dmg? That would give a consistent result for my earlier failure, but only cost me 1 AP this turn and leave me with 2/12 AP.

Or I guess I could take back the 2 AP spent on the DWA and give you back the 2 AP you spent on dodges. Or if you have a 4th idea. My goof, your choice.

Taking back the punches/dodges wouldn't require taking back your kick roll below, but it would mean that since you did not retreat, you would still be in close range and would need to choose if you wanted the leg kick to be launched from there, or if you wanted to take a free step and launch it from reach 1, or launch it from C and step back into reach 1 after.

Quote:
I wish I could do a semi-telegraphic attack at 13 and -1 rather than 15. oh well.
MA113 forbids combining Telegraphic Attack and Deceptive Attack to try and fudge that, though I'm not sure why.

MA79 doesn't seem to forbid doing a Telegraphed Spinning Kick, if you wanted to keep that option in mind for later.

Quote:
15 vs 4. Is that a critical hit? I think that's a critical hit.
Yeah... a 5 wouldn't have been (it usually is for a 15, but not in the case if you get there via Telegraphic) but a 4 always is.

I guess the upside to this is I don't have to spend AP on active defenses, and my having already used my free step doesn't matter anymore, since there would be no value in retreating since adding a bonus doesn't help if you don't get a chance to roll at all.

I can't say I like the absolute 'no defense' of the crit system, something like "you can defend at -10" would be more interesting. I feel like some kind of uberskilled guy with 50 in their combat skill and a parry of 28 should still have a decent chance of some skill 3 attacker who gets lucky.

Go ahead and roll damage. I still get to spend 1 AP to try and Roll With Blow, though, and if I get knocked down I can still spend 1 AP to try and do a Breakfall.

Y'know, I'm just going to say right now that I'm going to put the "Shake It Off" rules in MA on the table as well, in case I get stunned despite all those options. Action 2 Exploits pg 38 adds an interesting thing termed "Second Wind" allowing FP to be spent to heal HP, but that seems a little too cinematic to me, and prone to causing confusion since Cole's Last Gasp system already uses that term for spending FP to heal AP.

"Near Thing" seems alright, I'm charging 1 AP for DX rolls to avoid falling, so charging 1 FP > 2 AP to negate such a failure seems okay. I would only allow this to be done if someone tried making the roll though (total loss AP) so there's no tricks like some low DX guy intentionally skipping the 1 AP for the roll he'd probably fail and going straight to paying the 2 AP. Although maybe for balance/realism (there should be no way to guarantee not falling) I would interpret "undo the effects" as "reroll your failure". Pg 37's "A hero may try as many as he wishes on a given turn, if he has enough FP." would instead be "if he has enough AP".

One problem with PIF rolls not taking place until the next turn is that there doesn't seem a natural stopping point of "you can't do anything because you have 0 AP" if there is an unlimited amount of FP burning being possible. Did you have any ideas for slowing down the rate of voluntary FP burn?

So let's see, you already hit the left leg for 4 HP, how much more is coming? You still need to roll because only a crit of 3 is automatically maximum damage. After rolling damage, please also roll on the critical hit table for additional effects.

Last edited by Plane; 01-14-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Technically the 2nd dodge should be at 12, I would be applying the -1 for cumulative dodges in the same second suggested in Martial Arts, but you'd still make it by a huge amount.
Have we been using that rule? You've succeeded at your off-hand attack so rarely.

Quote:
I would have to pay 2 AP to heal that damage... but I said you can only pay 1 per second, so I still shouldn't have been able to do it...

So what we could do, is if someone wants to act despite having unhealed FIP damage, is let them, but apply that FIP debt as further AP loss that round.

That's different than simply allowing 2 FIP to be healed per round, because I'll still be left with 1 FIP the next round that still needs to be healed. Instead, I lose a 2nd AP simply for being able to act.

So instead of being at 3/12 AP, in applying this debt, I am now at 1/12 and still have 1 PIF damage to contend with next turn...

Unless you wanted to do this some other way like maybe instead of MoF dmg it's MoF/2 (round up) dmg? That would give a consistent result for my earlier failure, but only cost me 1 AP this turn and leave me with 2/12 AP.

Or I guess I could take back the 2 AP spent on the DWA and give you back the 2 AP you spent on dodges. Or if you have a 4th idea. My goof, your choice.
I'm I'd prefer to pretend that you rolled PIF at the point where we are in the game, rather than last turn. I oppose being able to spend your way out of PIF. the entire point of the roll is that you have to slow down.

Quote:
It occurs to me that PIF rules prevent beasts with low willpower from pushing themselve to the limit, even though some beasts are pushed to exert themselves without actively contributing their will, at the behest of another...
There should be some mechanic where the person pushing modifies the roll in some way, I would think. Of course, many beasts will have decent willpower.

Quote:
MA113 forbids combining Telegraphic Attack and Deceptive Attack to try and fudge that, though I'm not sure why.
Yeah its pretty weird.

Quote:
MA79 doesn't seem to forbid doing a Telegraphed Spinning Kick, if you wanted to keep that option in mind for later.
Yes, but Red doesn't have karate, despite all of his kicking!

Quote:
I guess the upside to this is I don't have to spend AP on active defenses, and my having already used my free step doesn't matter anymore, since there would be no value in retreating since adding a bonus doesn't help if you don't get a chance to roll at all.
Its a rather bizarre result when you look at it. I attacked very well so my attack designed to force you spend 2 AP to defend yourself instead connects. I suppose I just faked you out. With my 2nd telegraphic kick to the leg Ive been targeting for half the fight.

Quote:
I can't say I like the absolute 'no defense' of the crit system, something like "you can defend at -10" would be more interesting. I feel like some kind of uberskilled guy with 50 in their combat skill and a parry of 28 should still have a decent chance of some skill 3 attacker who gets lucky.
Yeah, it feels a little weird. Especially with the AP game that we've been playing, it feels very abrupt to suddenly hit. I was really not planning on connecting with that blow.

only two damage. You won't even move backwards from roll with the blow. On the other hand, that's at least one point of damage. No effect from the critical hit table. I just reread the crippling rules, and It appears I have to deal 6 damage in one attack to cripple a limb. Which is essentially impossible (ok, the critical table makes it possible, but that's still a how-probability event). Darn. I was hoping this would end the fight by crippling your leg. That'd really have made things easy.

Quote:
Y'know, I'm just going to say right now that I'm going to put the "Shake It Off" rules in MA on the table as well, in case I get stunned despite all those options.
Go ahead and spend FP. That's a major resource.

Quote:
One problem with PIF rolls not taking place until the next turn is that there doesn't seem a natural stopping point of "you can't do anything because you have 0 AP" if there is an unlimited amount of FP burning being possible. Did you have any ideas for slowing down the rate of voluntary FP burn?
Simple: don't allow PIF to be overridden. Its about if you have to stop or not. If you fail, you fail.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #68
Plane

Quote:
Have we been using that rule? You've succeeded at your off-hand attack so rarely.
I always had a mind to, but I've been the only one relying on dodges until now (not sure why you used them since your parry is better) and I've been the only one using DWAs.

Quote:
I'm I'd prefer to pretend that you rolled PIF at the point where we are in the game, rather than last turn. I oppose being able to spend your way out of PIF. the entire point of the roll is that you have to slow down.
Me too, with the exception being I think excess AP beyond maximum should automatically spend your way out, since that would be a consequence of a very good recovery action (minimum 1). Being able to voluntarily spend AP (slowing your return to full) should be off the table.

The only reason I started fudging that was because I screwed up the calculations twice and ended up acting when I shouldn't have acted. It felt bad to throw out the work we'd already done so I tried to find some kind of balanced justification for ignoring the failure.

Quote:
There should be some mechanic where the person pushing modifies the roll in some way, I would think. Of course, many beasts will have decent willpower.
I guess since beasts could still take their free step, they could still be pushed but would slow down since their head goes woozy.

Quote:
Red doesn't have karate, despite all of his kicking!
It seems weird that all the weapon skills can do this but karate's the only unarmed one.

Quote:
only two damage. You won't even move backwards from roll with the blow. On the other hand, that's at least one point of damage. No effect from the critical hit table.
*wipes sweat away from brow*

My RWB is reduced from 12 to 11 due to the -1 DX penalty from fatigue, so I'm rolling to mitigate that now. I got an 11, success. I only take 1 damage.

Quote:
I just reread the crippling rules, and It appears I have to deal 6 damage in one attack to cripple a limb. Which is essentially impossible (ok, the critical table makes it possible, but that's still a how-probability event). Darn. I was hoping this would end the fight by crippling your leg. That'd really have made things easy.
That is what B420 says, but I think we should use all the "Optional Rules for Injury" in the blue box, including "Accumulative Wounds".

You need to inflict more than 1/2 HP (5) to cripple a limb, which is 6 for someone with 10 HP. Since 1/2 HP is 6 for someone with 12 HP, you need to inflict a total of 7 to cripple Green's limbs. I only need to inflict a total of 6 to cripple Red's. These are also the caps of how much HP we can lose to our overall HP from hits to those locations.

So right now, you added 1 more damage to the 4 you got previously, for a total of 5 HP lost. You could cripple the leg with 2 more damage.

Losing 1 HP would also mean I lose 1 AP unless I can mitigate that with a HT roll. My HT 12 is already reduced to 11 due to Gradual Impairment, and I also apply the Shock penalty of -1 to it, so I need to roll against a 10.
I roll a 9, MoS=1, I can subtract that from my AP loss, so I lose no additional AP from losing 1 HP
Quote:
Go ahead and spend FP. That's a major resource.
Not 2 AP? =/

Quote:
Simple: don't allow PIF to be overridden. Its about if you have to stop or not. If you fail, you fail.
I already overrode it by choosing to attack afterward because I goofed the stats. Did you want to go back and give us both back the 2 AP spent on punches/dodges and have me just roll HT+4 for a Do Nothing instead? *shrug*

After spending 1 AP on RWB, how much AP do you think I should have left? I'm a little unclear if I should be subtracting AP for having ignored PIF or adding it back to both of us by pretending the DWA/2xdodge never happened.

How much AP I have left is going to determine what I choose to do in the future, but for now I think I'm going to do All-Out Defense (Double) since I'm suffering -1 to DX from Shock, and since I can always do that regardless of how much AP I have left.

Hm... y'know, if I were to use my free step, it wouldn't be so bad, since I can spend the 2 temporary AP on retreats if I needed. But a single hex move is basically worthless since you can make 60 degree turns for free, and trying to evade you to get into your rear hex would cost me an AP to try...

This makes me wonder, of that temporary 2 AP, do you think either an 'Evade' or an 'Obstruct' could be paid from that? It's kinda strange because I could see either being thought of as an attack or a defense depending on context. It seems like 'Evade' is closer dicewise to an attack, but conceptually you could be trying to escape someone trying to corner you...

I guess it's no different than how Technical Grappling defines 'Break Free' as an attack.

Hm... come to think of it, maybe Evade should actually cost an attack? I haven't treated it that way but it's an idea for future battles. Even if I make it cost 1 Movement Point and 1 Action Point, it's essentially getting thrown in as if it were a Free Action... if it took the place of an attack, choosing whether or not to do it would be a bigger thing. You could still Evade+Attack but with both being a -4 for DWA. To run far and evade you'd need to do a Move+Attack for example.

The problem I can see with that approach is it would prevent doing Evade on an All-Out Defense, which sounds wrong. So perhaps doing an Evade should count as if you did a Dodge, and apply a -1 to future dodges?

This would prevent someone doing All-Out Attack from doing an Evade (which doesn't sound horrible) but maybe have the option of allowing someone to spend an Attack instead of a Dodge to do it, depending on their preference?

What is your next maneuver?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I always had a mind to, but I've been the only one relying on dodges until now (not sure why you used them since your parry is better) and I've been the only one using DWAs.
when I retreat, the parry is equal to the dodge (brawling only gets +1, while boxing and karate get +3). When you aim low, my dodge becomes better. It now becomes apparent I should have parried one blow and dodged the other.

Quote:
Me too, with the exception being I think excess AP beyond maximum should automatically spend your way out, since that would be a consequence of a very good recovery action (minimum 1). Being able to voluntarily spend AP (slowing your return to full) should be off the table.

the maximum being what? your starting number?

Quote:
The only reason I started fudging that was because I screwed up the calculations twice and ended up acting when I shouldn't have acted. It felt bad to throw out the work we'd already done so I tried to find some kind of balanced justification for ignoring the failure.
We messed up. It happens. I'd prefer to just have the PIF kick in when we notice the error. The actual moment when it ought to kick in is rather arbitrary. Its not like shock, which needs to happen right at the moment of damage.

Quote:
It seems weird that all the weapon skills can do this but karate's the only unarmed one.
Not to me. The grappling skills shouldn't have it, and boxing doesn't do kicking (neener neener!). That leaves only brawling, and brawling isn't big on technique. I have a hard time imagining a proper brawler doing the big wide kick.

Quote:
That is what B420 says, but I think we should use all the "Optional Rules for Injury" in the blue box, including "Accumulative Wounds".
Oh wow, that was in front of my nose. I see it. And my target is 7, not 6.

Quote:
Not 2 AP? =/
oh you're right, it would be 2 AP. I don't think it will let you avoid stunning in general though. Just unconsciousness and knockdown. Reading it more carefully, I'd prefer to avoid that rule, because this fight should end with a knockout, not with death.

Quote:
I already overrode it by choosing to attack afterward because I goofed the stats. Did you want to go back and give us both back the 2 AP spent on punches/dodges and have me just roll HT+4 for a Do Nothing instead? *shrug*
No, I want you to take do nothing (or other AP-neutral option) now, as though you just barely failed the PIF roll.

Quote:
After spending 1 AP on RWB, how much AP do you think I should have left? I'm a little unclear if I should be subtracting AP for having ignored PIF or adding it back to both of us by pretending the DWA/2xdodge never happened.
You have 2 AP. You had 5 after the defense, then burned 2 in DWA's and 1 with a RWB.

Quote:
This makes me wonder, of that temporary 2 AP, do you think either an 'Evade' or an 'Obstruct' could be paid from that? It's kinda strange because I could see either being thought of as an attack or a defense depending on context. It seems like 'Evade' is closer dicewise to an attack, but conceptually you could be trying to escape someone trying to corner you...
I think the 2 AP could be used to obstruct but not evade. Evade is offensive in nature, while obstruct is defensive. Or possibly that evade is proactive and obstruct is reactive.

Quote:
The problem I can see with that approach is it would prevent doing Evade on an All-Out Defense, which sounds wrong. So perhaps doing an Evade should count as if you did a Dodge, and apply a -1 to future dodges?
hmm, I don't actually think preventing evade during all-out-defense is a problem. To me, evades proper maneuver is move. Its all about moving, and in most cases you will want to move more than 1 yard to do it.

Quote:
What is your next maneuver?

Well, that kick was anti-climatic. I was hoping for more than 1 damage. We're both at 2 AP.

He's going to evaluate for +1 and take a step back (they are now 2 yards apart, I believe, so Green can't launch a standard attack, as he can't kick) Will roll for HT (very low) at the start of next round.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #70
Plane

Quote:
When you aim low, my dodge becomes better. It now becomes apparent I should have parried one blow and dodged the other.
Well, parrying does leave you open to a Beat, so dodging does have that benefit.

Quote:
the maximum being what? your starting number?
Yeah, like for example say I have bought up "Second Wind" so that I get 100% of my HT instead of 50% in AP. If I burn 1 FP, I am immediately back up to 100% AP, so the AP recovered by a successful Do Nothing would go nowhere, so that gives some purpose for it, because it's weird if suddenly you have full AP and can't do anything with it. The purpose of forcing Recovery Actions should be for getting people back up to 100%.

Quote:
We messed up. It happens. I'd prefer to just have the PIF kick in when we notice the error. The actual moment when it ought to kick in is rather arbitrary. Its not like shock, which needs to happen right at the moment of damage.
Eh, I thought the 'next turn' was kinda rigid, but in that case I hope taking AOD now will make up for it.

Quote:
Not to me. The grappling skills shouldn't have it, and boxing doesn't do kicking (neener neener!). That leaves only brawling, and brawling isn't big on technique. I have a hard time imagining a proper brawler doing the big wide kick.
Well okay, but what about a spinning backfist? Apparently if you are using Knife or Sword you can do spinning attacks with them.

Quote:
this fight should end with a knockout, not with death.
I guess since technically neither character is defined as having Bloodlust that makes some sense.

Quote:
We're both at 2 AP. He's going to evaluate for +1 and take a step back (they are now 2 yards apart, I believe, so Green can't launch a standard attack, as he can't kick) Will roll for HT (very low) at the start of next round.
Actually I can always kick at DX, and with reach 2 if I wanted to take All-Out Attack (Long), but sounds somewhat reckless. That certainly wouldn't be a standard attack maneuver. I'd need to use Extra Effort on Great Lunge to get the +1 to reach on a standard Attack maneuver.

Since my AOD was untriggered, I get to make a HT roll. I rolled 12, which would'be been a success when we started but due to my -1 to HT, I just barely fail it and get nothing back.

I hadn't used my free step because I wanted to save it in case I needed to Retreat. That was obviously a mistake because I lose my free step if you don't attack me and I can't retreat!

I'm not making that mistake again! If I need to retreat, I'll just spend one of my two free AP on it.

I'm making another AOD maneuver (still Double), and using my free step to move further away from you (3 yards apart now).

You'll never close the distance with Evaluate limited to Step, and if you take any maneuver other than Evaluate, you'll lose your accumulated bonus unless that is an Attack maneuver where you immediately come at me... but to close range you'd need to do something like Move + Attack, Committed Attack, or All-Out Attack :) Either way, your offense or defense will suffer, and it will be costly.

Meanwhile, with HT 11 vs your HT 9, I am more likely to regain my AP than you. I can play this game :)

(well, except for the eventual countdown for my leg injury adrenaline wearing off... I kinda lost track of that, should I leave it up to you to tell me when I will suffer it? That seems more realistic because me tracking it feels like metagaming with you tracking it I will be surprised)

roll vs HT 9 (10-1) to see if you recover AP from your Evaluate, then choose your next maneuver, we still both have 2 AP right now I think

(if not for the free 60 degree turn, I imagine I'd be doing something like "circling" to your left side (forcing you to spend AP pivoting) to exhaust you, kind of like how fighters will circle each other a lot in real fights... there's not really much of an incentive to do so in this AP system though, which is why I dislike the 'free' aspect)

Although it wouldn't be the best strategy unless you were much nimbler/fit because in Tactical Combat, a 60 degree turn takes 1 movement point while a sidestep+60turn (or a front-right step +120 turn would cost 3 movement points. It would work out better if using a DX MoS discount system to mitigate that.

Last edited by Plane; 01-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.