Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #201
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Can you show me where you found the poles? We'll ask your knife merchant about your story, and then we'll go find the poles."
"Sure, I can show you where the Knives and sticks were and where the sticks are now."

I suppose the knife merchant won't be throwing Julian under the bus. Well, he could but I dunno why. I suppose next thing to happen is the guard'll be looking about why the poles have holes in them like the knives fit in them. Or for that matter why they were moved.
I play dumb about the spears.
"I dunno, maybe they were together, but they looked more like knives and sticks than anything you guys carry. And why does it really matter? The bad guys don't have weapons and I have something to live on if I get hurt."
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #202
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
I suppose the knife merchant won't be throwing Julian under the bus. Well, he could but I dunno why. I suppose next thing to happen is the guard'll be looking about why the poles have holes in them like the knives fit in them. Or for that matter why they were moved.
The knife merchant confirms that Julian sold him a bunch of knives... without handles. He asks the guard if Julian stole them. The guard growls "I'm not sure."



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Sure, I can show you where the Knives and sticks were and where the sticks are now."
The guard says something to a buddy, and then follows Julian, carrying a spear with him and making sure to keep the boy in front.


Quote:
I play dumb about the spears.
"I dunno, maybe they were together, but they looked more like knives and sticks than anything you guys carry. And why does it really matter? The bad guys don't have weapons and I have something to live on if I get hurt."

Julian doesn't think the guard buys his story, but he doesn't question it. "Thanks for showing me this. Tell you what, give me 4 coins and I'll leave you out of my report. Oh, and your pictures."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #203
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The knife merchant confirms that Julian sold him a bunch of knives... without handles. He asks the guard if Julian stole them. The guard growls "I'm not sure."
I think about saying something, but decide that showing him the poles would be a shorter answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The guard says something to a buddy, and then follows Julian, carrying a spear with him and making sure to keep the boy in front.
"What, you think I'm going to run off? Then again, it's hard to follow someone from behind."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian doesn't think the guard buys his story, but he doesn't question it. "Thanks for showing me this. Tell you what, give me 4 coins and I'll leave you out of my report. Oh, and your pictures."
Given the last time that I refused to bribe a policeman I ended up with no money and nearly drowned, I agree to his terms.

I'm a little confused about the last part; did the guard mean to say he wanted the pictures too, or that he'd leave the pictures out of the report? Assuming the former:
"Could I make a copy first? Are you going to be looking for them?"

Assuming the latter:
"Why not mention the picture? Would it be a problem for someone? Do you know who they are?"
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #204
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"What, you think I'm going to run off? Then again, it's hard to follow someone from behind."
He declines to answer, but Julian gets the impression there is something else he's worried about.

Quote:
I'm a little confused about the last part; did the guard mean to say he wanted the pictures too, or that he'd leave the pictures out of the report? Assuming the former:
He wants the pictures.

Quote:
"Could I make a copy first? Are you going to be looking for them?"
"Hurry up and make your copy.

Yeah, We'll be looking for him. If you see those guy again, let me know, and I'll make it worth your while. Help me carry these sticks."


He's carrying the poles back towards the stone and main market.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #205
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He declines to answer, but Julian gets the impression there is something else he's worried about.
Maybe he thinks I might walk him into an ambush. The guards spend most of their time at the market, right? Maybe the vegetation tunnels aren't safe for them. They came in relative force when they were looking for enemy fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He wants the pictures.

"Hurry up and make your copy."
I try my best:
Quote:
[40] 22-08-04 18:19:51 CEST
Artist (Drawing) by default
3d6 <= 7
6 + 1 + 6 = 13 ... failure
And end up wishing I had tracing paper. I hand over the picture. At least I know who I'm looking for; he'll probably get more use out of it than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"Yeah, We'll be looking for him. If you see those guy again, let me know, and I'll make it worth your while. Help me carry these sticks."

He's carrying the poles back towards the stone and main market.
I'll ask if I can keep a pole to whittle with (if I've used up the other one already). After helping, then I'll head back, while away some time practicing drawing or whittling, and then go to sleep again.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:11 AM   #206
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I try my best:

And end up wishing I had tracing paper. I hand over the picture. At least I know who I'm looking for; he'll probably get more use out of it than I did.
fair enough.

Quote:
I'll ask if I can keep a pole to whittle with (if I've used up the other one already). After helping, then I'll head back, while away some time practicing drawing or whittling, and then go to sleep again.
He says no, he needs all of the poles!

He has Julian drop the poles most of the way into the market, gives him 2s* for the trouble of carrying the poles, and then slowly goes into the market with nine poles.

*I think this leaves Julian at 36L 13s

Julian is headed back when he sees the thin man walking the other way in the tunnel, with two men next to him.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 08-05-2022 at 10:17 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #207
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*I think this leaves Julian at 36L 13s
My spread sheet says 39L 5s. 41L 15s (yesterday) + 5L (work) - 3L 12s (food) - 4L (bribe) + 2s (tip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He says no, he needs all of the poles!
I'll forget to mention that I whittled away one of the poles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian is headed back when he sees the thin man walking the other way in the tunnel, with two men next to him.
Well, it'd look a bit suspicious if I immediately turned around to go tell, um, Mr. Guard. I'll pass by them, while trying to remember what at least one of the other two look like, then loop back to go tell the guard.

Shadowing to not be noticed turning around (?)
Quote:
[41] 22-08-05 20:11:22 CEST
Shadowing default
3d6 <= 9
1 + 5 + 1 = 7 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #208
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
My spread sheet says 39L 5s. 41L 15s (yesterday) + 5L (work) - 3L 12s (food) - 4L (bribe) + 2s (tip)
thumbs up.

Quote:
I'll forget to mention that I whittled away one of the poles.
Indeed. you still have chunks of it left...



Quote:
Well, it'd look a bit suspicious if I immediately turned around to go tell, um, Mr. Guard. I'll pass by them, while trying to remember what at least one of the other two look like, then loop back to go tell the guard.

Shadowing to not be noticed turning around (?)
The shadowing works... and it does end up being shadowing, and Julian follows behind the men. He tells the guard he found the men. The guard looks somewhat skeptical, but follows Julian, and sees the three men from behind a ways back. He shoves a clay token into Julian's hand:


"Give this to another guard and say I went up after three suspects." He sets off after the three men.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #209
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The shadowing works... and it does end up being shadowing, and Julian follows behind the men. He tells the guard he found the men. The guard looks somewhat skeptical, but follows Julian, and sees the three men from behind a ways back. He shoves a clay token into Julian's hand:


"Give this to another guard and say I went up after three suspects." He sets off after the three men.
"Will I need to give them a name?"

I decide to make a quick rub of the token (i.e. paper over token, draw lines on paper) so I can study the details of the token later. Should be doable while I look around for a guard.

Quote:
[42] 22-08-12 03:16:22 CEST
Perception
3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... success
[42] 22-08-12 03:16:22 CEST
Perception
3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... success
When I find another guard I'll do as I was told, hand over the token and tell them the guard went after three suspects. Then I'll ask if there's anything else they need me for. I'm guessing not, so probably back to do more whittling.

Last edited by TGLS; 08-11-2022 at 07:20 PM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:38 AM   #210
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Will I need to give them a name?"
"Just give them the token!" The man shouts while he runs in the direction of the men.

Quote:
When I find another guard I'll do as I was told, hand over the token and tell them the guard went after three suspects. Then I'll ask if there's anything else they need me for. I'm guessing not, so probably back to do more whittling.
Its very easy to find the guard. He takes the token and hurries after the other guard immediately, throwing Julian a small coin.

Julian heads back to his sleeping area slowly.

Quote:
I decide to make a quick rub of the token (i.e. paper over token, draw lines on paper) so I can study the details of the token later. Should be doable while I look around for a guard.
Interesting..
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.