Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #1
crywalt

Default Munchkin Batman Accomplices Question

We just got our Kickstarter copy of Munchkin Batman and of course my kid demanded we play just about immediately. So far it's plenty fun -- just different enough from regular Munchkin to make you think, but similar enough it's not like learning a whole new game.

The only problem I have with it is, it's too new! :) I'm used to being able to answer any question with a quick search of the Munchkin forums.

So here's my question: Do you have to hold Accomplices in your hand or can they be put down on the table? Unlike Hirelings they're not Items. The rules don't say anything at all about where Accomplices can be, only that they can be played at any time.

I ask because there are SO MANY Accomplices, but with the 5-card hand limit, it's really impossible to hold on to too many. But it's not clear they can be placed on the table.
crywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
crywalt

Default Re: Munchkin Batman Accomplices Question

I find the instructions under Treasures state that "any Treasure card may be played to the table as soon as you get it", so I guess that includes Accomplices.

I hope I've got that right.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
GT Quigley

I have the same question about the accomplices. I think Crywalt is correct, though. Accomplices fall somewhere between sidekicks/hirelings and one-shots. No value so they can’t be stolen, but apparently no limit on the number that can be played. Also the instructions don’t say the can’t be played on the table.
GT Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Brf

The rules say that Accomplices can be played at any time.
Once they are used in a combat, you would roll to see if you discard them or not.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
crywalt

I was surprised to find that the rules about Treasures is in the original Munchkin, which I thought I knew pretty well. I thought for some time that only Items could be played to the table -- anything with a Value (including of course No Value). And race and class cards, plus Super Munchkin and Cheat and suchlike. But in fact the rules state that any Treasure can be played to the table. Some Treasure cards (like Go Up A Level) take effect immediately and thus never stay on the table, but others apparently can be stashed there until you use them. There aren't too many cards like that in regular Munchkin but in Munchkin Batman there are the Accomplice cards.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #6
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Accomplices must stay in your hand. When you successfully roll to get them back, they go back into your hand. It would be a bit too much if you could just spread them all out on the table.

An Item is a card with a Gold Piece value or the words 'No Value' in the Gold Piece spot.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Lewis View Post
Accomplices must stay in your hand.
Then why do the Accomplices rules state:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Accomplices may be played at any time, on any turn.
It would make more sense if it said they could be played into any combat, instead of "any time" like the curses and GUALs
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Because they can be played by any player into any combat on any side. But they are not Items and cannot be played to the table. I may update the rules if we reprint this set if it keeps coming up as an issue.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by crywalt View Post
But in fact the rules state that any Treasure can be played to the table. Some Treasure cards (like Go Up A Level) take effect immediately and thus never stay on the table, but others apparently can be stashed there until you use them.
The meaning is that you can play any Treasure cards as soon as you get them. That does not mean that you can put them into your tableau.
For instance, if I get a card that lets me draw more treasures, I can play it immediately. That doesn't mean I can put it on the table to use later, that would defeat the point of having a hand and hand limits. It just means, if it's a treasure card that can be played, you can play it when you get it. You don't necessarily have to wait until your turn.

The only cards you can put on the table are Items or cards that say otherwise.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #10
crywalt

Quote:
The only cards you can put on the table are Items or cards that say otherwise.
That's the way I was playing until I discovered this rule about Treasures being playable at any time. Going through a ton of past forum posts I didn't find anything very clarifying on this point. Some Treasure cards take effect immediately and so obviously don't stay on the table but there are a few here and there which aren't Items but don't have immediate effects and there's nothing anywhere (that I could find) very clear about how they have to stay in your hand until activated.

Having essentially unlimited Accomplices does change the balance of the game. It's not necessarily bad or anything but it does make it harder to win.