Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
Xenarthral

Default Re: Meat Cleavers

GURPS Goblins p. 98
Marginally different from a hatchet.
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 AM   #12
The Colonel

I'd say you're using axe/mace and that the cleaver fits the description of an axe - plus the butcher's splitting cleaver (the big, two handed one) would do pretty well as a battle axe. It's a large, unbalanced cutting blade on a handle, so axe would have to do it - probably at a penalty in the case of the one handed cleaver because the handle is so small.
IIRC the Chinese also have a knife that looks like a cleaver, but is a lot more versatile.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
You might be able to get a useful thrust by catching with the corner, but I would say no thrusting. It isn't built for combat, so maybe a -1 or -2 to attack. By the time the cleaver comes out animals don't normally have much fight (or blood, entrails, or anything else) left in them, so butchers normally use telegraphic AOA.
I've used a cleaver to kill poultry and it was better suited to that task than a hatchet. Against a human opponent, I think the extra reach and leverage of the hatchet would make it better, but I don't think the cleaver deserves a skill penalty.

I don't think any exisitng weapon seems quite right. It's damage shouldn't be as high as a small axe, but I think it should have an unbalanced parry, unlike the small falchion or hatchet.

How about this?

Code:
KNIFE (DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, or Shortsword-3)
Weapon		Damage	Reach	Parry	Cost	Weight	ST
Cleaver		sw cut	1	0U	$100	1.5	7
or		thr cr	1	0	-	-	7
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #14
Mgellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post

How about this?

Code:
KNIFE (DX-4, Force Sword-3, Main-Gauche-3, or Shortsword-3)
Weapon		Damage	Reach	Parry	Cost	Weight	ST
Cleaver		sw cut	1	0U	$100	1.5	7
or		thr cr	1	0	-	-	7
I agree that it should be treated as a knife. You're making it a little heavy, though. I looked up some hatchets and some meat cleavers for weight, length, etc. A hatchet is longer and weighs about twice as much as a meat cleaver...most meat cleavers appear to be roughly .75 lbs. Call it 1 lb. and treat it as a large knife that is optimized like for chopping.

I would give it sw-1 cut and th cr, based on the damage for a large knife, and for brass knuckles, and assuming it is optimized for cutting and chopping attacks.

Butchers not only can make all-out attacks, but the target is usually braced against a wooden cutting block, so that probably increases the effect a bit compared to combat.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
So...meat cleavers?
Wouldn't that weapon be already statted in GURPS Horror ? It's a staple in horror themes, no ? I know the book is 3e but it could provide guidance on what it should be.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
Ubiquitous

I'll throw in for Axe because Falchion's just seem too big as a rule, but then if she wants the anime type of Cleaver it'd be that big, so I'd say ask about how big and use one of the other after you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
her character (which is always named May Harada, regardless of genre)
Always? I get a player who invariably uses either A) Jin when he doesn't care or B) Alexander Rosewood if he's feeling creative. She never switches up? Not even a Jay Marada or a Kay Karada?

(Please note my wicked chuckle, as I contemplate her finding out just how poor a weapon a meat cleaver actually is...)[/QUOTE]

As compared to what? In a knife-fight I imagine it'd carry a win since Cut damage isn't bad and I imagine it'd get a +1, 2 or even 3* for that, and it's no worse against parrying swords or bullets than any other small knife.

Unless she's expecting to take down some gunslinging enemies using it, in which case learning her might be a good idea.

*EDIT: After reading all the ninja posts above this one I have apperantly grossly overestimated.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
jacobmuller

Martial Arts does list it as descriptive for some other weapons (parang?): "Small Falchion" on page 229 but that's 2lb ST8.
There's a damage listing for it as an improvised throwing weapon, page 60ish.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Anders

Weapon weights are a hobby-horse for Dan Howard. The weapons in MA are weight-calibrated to fit in with the other weapons. More accurate weapon weights (all together now!) will be given in Low-Tech!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
I agree that it should be treated as a knife. You're making it a little heavy, though.
I was going to say that's nowhere near heavy enough! I've held an antique meat cleaver in my hands, not one of those chintzy modern stamped steel blades that they call "cleavers" but a real honest-to-goodness blade meant for cutting bone. They're weighed heavily toward the head so you get lots of leverage on a swing and they're wicked instruments. They're designed to shear through meat without much resistance.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
Diogenes

Back in 3e times, I played a butcher in an post-holocaust game who had saved his cleaver from the catastrophe (well, it was a plague, so that wasn't the problem -- it was getting it into and out of the quarantine camp). That cleaver felt very correctly as hatched with unchanged stats.
I'd do that, too, in 4e.

Role-playing in Vienna: Athenaes Siegel (German)
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation