Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Ubiquitous

Default Re: High Fantasy advice: Because I hate my GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
In my game, it doesn't happen. If it did happen we'd have a lot more Davids in the world from mediocre sculptors. But then, I'm not your GM. Probably best discussed with him.

That said, I'll note that in 4E taking extra time is exponential, with each +1 increasing time taken by x 2, such that + 5 requires 2^5 = 30 times as long. And the implication seems to be this is the maximum bonus you can get.

So, I'd say, you can operate off a skill of 15, if in your game world making a regular bow takes 3 days and you take 90 days. Your roll of 8 is success by 7. I'd say that each gradiation of quality requires success by 5 but also requires suitable material. I'd say that you get a Fine Quality bow after 90 days of work.
...Oh my I was much too optimistic about this. Aight, I think this is one of those deals I'd be better off scrapping, thanks for the input.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #22
Captain-Captain

Quote:
My off the cuff answer.

Making a high quality bow starts when you begin. Double (or more) materials cost, and apply a -5 to crafting skill. A crit success on a regular crafting roll may also be acceptable.

Anyways, making any kind of normal quality bow should take months. Making a high quality one may take the better part of a year.

IOW, you get a regular bow, assuming you keep working on it for another 15 weeks or so. And you don't get to just keep working "till it's better."
Point of note: Composite bows at that tech level require about 1 to 4 years of drying time for the glue binding the composite materials making the bow, and the top of the line tend to be in the 4 years drying time zone.

My advice: spend a few points for a contact or Ally who is a first rate bow maker.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #23
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
Point of note: Composite bows at that tech level require about 1 to 4 years of drying time for the glue binding the composite materials making the bow, and the top of the line tend to be in the 4 years drying time zone.

My advice: spend a few points for a contact or Ally who is a first rate bow maker.
Yeah that was...pretty much the follow up plan.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Yeah that was...pretty much the follow up plan.
There's a reason we switched to easier to manufacture ranged weapons as soon as economically feasible ;-)

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
Ubiquitous

Quote:
There's a reason we switched to easier to manufacture ranged weapons as soon as economically feasible ;-)
I took skill in Musket because I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #26
trooper6

Quote:
Aight, so basically we had this fun guy running a High Fantasy campaign. Then he switched up with this rules-lawyer guy. This guy, less fun-loving than the last guy, and he also hates combat, a lot. So basically, my character has to get cut down a tad because of this.

So. I need a stronger bow because he's intent on further crippling me with impoverished equipment.
I don't actually think you are asking the right question. It isn't about how you go about crafting this high quality bow...because the problem isn't the crafting rules...it is that the GM doesn't want you to have stuff. Make the great bow? He'll probably just take it from you.

It seems like you have a larger problem...that you hate your GM. Is there some way to address this issue?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #27
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I don't actually think you are asking the right question. It isn't about how you go about crafting this high quality bow...because the problem isn't the crafting rules...it is that the GM doesn't want you to have stuff. Make the great bow? He'll probably just take it from you.

It seems like you have a larger problem...that you hate your GM. Is there some way to address this issue?
I've considered paid murder but between the hitman(woman?) and the bow I honestly think I'll deal with his rules.

If I asked 'how do I deal with my GM' I gurantee the first response I got would be 'talk with him' or 'what the GM says goes' or 'find a new GM', and besides all that the deal is he doesn't want me getting this stuff EASILY. He's irrational about the rules sometimes, so honestly its become a game of kill-counter-kill. If we all have a PC at the end of a session, we win. And he typically tries to make us lose.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #28
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
And he typically tries to make us lose.
Are you having fun?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #29
Hannes665

Quote:
He's irrational about the rules sometimes, so honestly its become a game of kill-counter-kill. If we all have a PC at the end of a session, we win. And he typically tries to make us lose.
And you and your group enjoy this?

What happened to the other GM?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #30
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
And you and your group enjoy this?

What happened to the other GM?
Oh, the other guy is always, alllways forced to GM campaigns, we wanted a break.

Oh and yes, actually, it is kinda fun. Funkiller (What I'll call him) has terrible luck rolling dice. Awful. And we've all got...better luck. It's kinda like playing Roulette and living out the movie 300 with the whole 'Us vs. Him' random chance bit.

Besides, even if I didn't like him enough to not play, period, we'd still be down to three, four possible people to GM (one of whom WENT AN ENTIRE GAME WITH HIS NPC DOING EEEVERYTHING AND LITERALLY RAILROADED EVERYONE ELSE, REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING, INTO FOLLOWING THIS). Also one person never GMed before, another one is lazy to the point of ridiculity and the last one is me. And I dun wanna, I like playing these more than running 'em.

Tags
kromm explanation