Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Danger Sense in Dungeon Fantasy

I am wondering how people who play Dungeon Fantasy with GURPS and have PCs with Danger Sense keep Danger Sense from becoming a mine sweeper for tricks and traps. It seems that if a PC has Danger Sense then he/she can attempt to touch a cursed item and before they touch they will know it is dangerous. So in effect this PC can screen all of items in a dungeon effortlessly. Other detections like for magic and evil give some insight into the nature of the items but not enough where the PCs know it is dangerous. So how do people keep Danger Sense from becoming a mine sweeper for the dungeon? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Danger Sense in Dungeon Fantasy

Danger Sense warns against "an ambush, impending disaster, or similar hazard." It's not an all-purpose defense against anything which would detect anything potentially dangerous; it's a warning about events which are about to take place. I have danger sense kick in when there's something the character can't stop: the sniper is already firing, the trigger on the crossbow trap has already been pulled, the avalanche has just started to roll. This gives the character an active defense and saves him from surprise, but that's about it.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Danger Sense warns against "an ambush, impending disaster, or similar hazard." It's not an all-purpose defense against anything which would detect anything potentially dangerous; it's a warning about events which are about to take place. I have danger sense kick in when there's something the character can't stop: the sniper is already firing, the trigger on the crossbow trap has already been pulled, the avalanche has just started to roll. This gives the character an active defense and saves him from surprise, but that's about it.
Actually I would say it goes of before the trigger is pulled before the trap is triggered. but the key is they dont know what the danger they are being warned about is.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Phil Masters

And if the player tries to claim Danger Sense as some kind of all-purpose peril detector, I'd just say that in that case it starts beeping when you enter the dungeon, and stops when you're back in the safe inn. Roll vs. HT to avoid a headache.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
RedMattis

As I have understood it Danger Sense most protects against direct danger, spike traps, attacks from the bushes behind you, doors rigged with explosives (magic or technological), etc.
Not so much against items cursing you with bad luck, or removes magical protectives.
Definitely not against picking up the mundane gun the police and Mafia is looking for, or the danger involved in a vampire's four poster coffin-bed (Though the less-than-amused owner of the bed getting back and deciding to tear your throat out qualifies for Danger Sense!)

I'd definitely let it warn a PC from picking up an object that will teleport him into the space one yard above the lava in an active cosmic volcano though. Heh.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Ragitsu
Banned

Spider Man is the ultimate dungeon PC.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Spider Man is the ultimate dungeon PC.
He does tend to avoid pretty much every lethal trap the antagonists set up though. That 'Spider-Sense' sure is convenient.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I am wondering how people who play Dungeon Fantasy with GURPS and have PCs with Danger Sense keep Danger Sense from becoming a mine sweeper for tricks and traps.
I didn't. That was what Danger Sense was for and made the rogue's role as important as the fighter, the mage or the healer.

Note that a high Per was important so the DS would work and I didn't give clues as to what was triggering it but just before something that was going to cause physical damage or force something like a Resistance Roll the rogue got a roll v. DS. This was usually the cue to start looking for traps.

Now,after the rogue got her item of fire resistance that didn't trigger _her_ DS. Make sure the rogue isn't better protected than the other party members.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
He does tend to avoid pretty much every lethal trap the antagonists set up though. That 'Spider-Sense' sure is convenient.
He proble has more than a few levels of Reliability on it.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post

And if the player tries to claim Danger Sense as some kind of all-purpose peril detector, I'd just say that in that case it starts beeping when you enter the dungeon, and stops when you're back in the safe inn. Roll vs. HT to avoid a headache.
That's how I do it, in fact. "Yes, there's danger. You're down a dungeon."
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation