Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #1151
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

I've been running Dungeon Fantasy topics on my blog non-stop for the month (and have more planned). I put in for a couple of hundred, went to all the stores in my area and got them to order boxed sets (One store spent a couple of thousand on that and Mars Attacks/Discworld). I've gotten a couple of celebrities of the nerd persusaion to tweet and back the campaign...so I think I've done my part.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #1152
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I think its a cool thread and thanks for not only starting it but the index stuff as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #1153
lachimba

And now the shipping costs to Australia have dropped I likely have very few excuses (Space!) not to go with the physical box rather than some PDF combination.

Be nice if it hits $120k to get those shipping costs even lower.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #1154
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Is it more likely than not that it convinced one person? If so it was worth it.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #1155
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Be nice if it hits $120k to get those shipping costs even lower.
I'm pegging this at about $160k, and Reed or someone else said there might be incentives to help hit the stretch goals. Aside from the first day, it's had more backers than Car Wars, which it's beat in money every day but yesterday.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #1156
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'm playing in a game tomorrow, and running a game on Sunday, so I'll be able to do some word-of-mouth marketing.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #1157
Ronnke

Thank you SJG for negotiating the Australia friendly shipping!

If your partner in AU is a game retailer and you can disclose their identity, then please let us know who they are. I and most likely others would like to support them in our future gaming purchases.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #1158
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Seems like SJG is pulling out all the stops to make sure this funds fast.
Darn right. In fact, I've even heard that one of the GURPS team* is working on some fuel for the hype train that should soon be a pleasant surprise . . .

Quote:
The current pace is that it will fund tomorrow, likely by midday. There's a chance it could fund by midnight tonight, and that chance just got better.
Yep, less than $2,500 to go at the moment, so at this point it's less a question of whether it funds, and more a question of what stretch goals we can hit. Fingers crossed for extra-cheap shipping and bonus PDFs!

* Okay, it's me.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #1159
scc

It's currently 0830 AEST so I don't think most people likely to buy the game because of the shipping drop have heard about it yet, so by midday AEST we should probably is at least the first results of that
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #1160
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
(. . .) I just don't think that emphasizing combat over story is necessary in order to do that.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'm also seeing something else. I've been avidly following Critical Role and seeing lots of people completely new to RPGs becoming interested. They aren't necessarily the old school murder-hobo because they never played in the old school. Their ideas are more epic stories of fantasy. And if they've been watching Critical Role they want stories of characters who deal with rivals from their past, they want stories of saving the Prince or Princess....they want a lot of things...but not *only* kicking in doors, killing monsters, getting loot. Sure they may want that too...but they also want to save the Prince/ss they want to reclaim the throne.
And even in the "old school" frame there were story and flavour for many gaming groups. It was also covered in core books and sourcebooks.

Now, this sounds as if we would need a completely different game, entirely discarding Dungeon Fantasy if the story develops angles and situations —and it's only natural!— such as rescuing princesses or reclaiming thrones.

But I'm not talking about the ad copy alone, but about the actual contents as well.

I truly think that it's good that Dungeon Fantasy has focus, but as we can see in other fantasy RPGs —including diverse editions of D&D between many others—, that shouldn't be at the expense of an artificial narrowing of its own horizon of possibilities: indeed a wonderful thing of roleplaying games, almost definitory of them, is their open-endedness.

Also, DF PBG being a game in itself, it will not be stepping on the niche of other GURPS sourcebooks like GURPS Fantasy (*).

The idea is: Dungeon Fantasy very easily can be high fantasy; it depends on how you're playing it.

Related: a comment at Christopher R. Rice's blog

(*) And this sourcebook actually is a good complement for Dungeon Fantasy campaigns, even if it's useful also for other kinds of fantasy.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy