Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #411
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Kromm, I expect you also clarified magic items so it's clear when a given item is always on, when it requires casting, etc etc... right? I know that careful reading can let you puzzle it more often than not, but still, it could certainly use some clarification.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #412
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post

Kromm, I expect you also clarified magic items so it's clear when a given item is always on, when it requires casting, etc etc... right? I know that careful reading can let you puzzle it more often than not, but still, it could certainly use some clarification.
Just about every item is the kind that doesn't involve casting anyway, but yes, I think I made that a lot clearer. Bear in mind that removing Enchantment spells included removing most Item blocks. Magical treasures exist, but they're mostly things like always-on weapons and armor. Mostly.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #413
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just about every item is the kind that doesn't involve casting anyway, but yes, I think I made that a lot clearer. Bear in mind that removing Enchantment spells included removing most Item blocks. Magical treasures exist, but they're mostly things like always-on weapons and armor. Mostly.
No wands (of fireballs or otherwise)? Or you're going with "All Charged Up Magic Items" rules for those? (which would rock, seriously)
My stuff on e23
Old 09-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #414
Kalzazz

Is it Basic Set, Low Tech or something new hit locations?

Are there any load outs?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #415
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

One question, Kromm, do SM>0 monsters have clear hex grid shapes (possibly from Combat Writ Large)?
My stuff on e23
Old 09-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #416
Nikosandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It's not just generic RPGs; our information from our partners is that RPG sales are down across the board. I don't know whether that will make you feel better or worse.
According to this report from ICv2 the RPG market in 2015 grew, year on year, by 40%. Is that report grossly mistaken?

Last edited by Nikosandros; 09-02-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Nikosandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #417
mehrkat

I saw quite a bit of discussion about more complex social situations. I would just roleplay social situations and when I didn't want to just hand wave a die roll. "Your character is the pretty bard and your trying to hit on the barmaid roll INT tell me how much you succeed by". Rules that don't explicitly cover social things don't mean there aren't any social things in your game and honestly that is one of the things even new rpers seem to understand instinctively. I did when I played my first fighter in DnD at 8 years old.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #418
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Airfair? To Australia? What are you going to do to make that cheaper than mailing, strap him to the nose of the plane?

My mother's family are Australian and we've made the trip more than a few times. Which is why I had to pay may way through college >:D
The return airfare for a cheap flight to LA from here (NZ) is something like $US 600 dollars plus misc costs. I had a quick look when considering kickstarter options. And if you can get 4 boxed sets that saves $300 in shipping.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #419
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
We'll see. :) There's a year between now and then, and I might run something different from the adventure in the box.
I am not one given to acts of faith, but I do not at all consider it a stretch to predict that the line editor of a product would use his decades of experience to showcase a wonderful adventure (from the kit or not) as an introductory and explanatory example of how to best make use of his hard work should the powers that be choose to use a recording of an expert running a game session as an explanation of how to run a game session well.

Heck, I still look forward to seeing the chronicles of The Company campaign start up again.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #420
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

No wands (of fireballs or otherwise)? Or you're going with "All Charged Up Magic Items" rules for those? (which would rock, seriously)
No wands for now, no. We have to leave something for the future. But that future will definitely go with charges, yes. I cannot imagine anybody really wanting to pay FP if there's a wizard who can do that, but I can easily imagine somebody (even a wizard) wanting limited-use magical pew-pew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

Is it Basic Set, Low Tech or something new hit locations?
Nothing fancy with hit locations at all . . . you get the Basic Set approach. Breaking them down more than that gets excessive, especially since just about all monsters are too weird to need the distinctions added by later books (or even the ones in the Basic Set, really).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

Are there any load outs?
No. While I respect Matt's work on those, my feeling and experience is that most gamers prefer to customize their gear. In fact, I've never had a player be happy with pregenerated gear. One of the game's selling propositions is that you can customize your gear, so filling pages and pages with non-custom loadouts would be an iffy use of space.

Quote:

One question, Kromm, do SM>0 monsters have clear hex grid shapes (possibly from Combat Writ Large)?
"Combat Writ Large" was used to translate SM into hex sizes, yes. As the Cardboard Heroes are TBD right now, I cannot comment on how the counters for specific monsters will be shaped. That's getting away from the part of the project that I control, and into graphics and physical components.

Please remember with questions like these that we're aiming the game as much at people who've never seen GURPS as at people who measure their GURPS in gigabytes and shelf-metres, so we have to walk a line between "enough stuff to sell the game" and "so much stuff that people freeze up." As Phil Reed said, if this gets backed, we'll follow up with more. For instance, magic items (like those fireball wands) are #2 on my big list of 16 things I'd like to do.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy