Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
Sadurian Mike

Default Re: The continuing life of the GURPS WWII line

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
You are forgetting that this a game. An American game, played by people that are, in their majority, Americans.
Well that was pretty much my point. It grated with me because it was so squarely aimed at the US market.

Quote:
There are several books out which cover a plethora of other aircraft, and more were planned before the line (in its originally envisioned shape) bombed. You can't put them all in the basic book.
Sure, but if the idea of the core rules is to pull in people who then buy the supplements, it is surely a better idea to have a broad appeal.

Quote:
As to the choices, everybody has their own favourites, and there were DOZENS of additional important designs.
I don't doubt that. My favourite designs would have never made it simply because they are too "minor" in the scheme of things. However, "favourite" is different from "important". Was the F4U Corsair really more important than the Spitfire?

Quote:
The Catalina, of all things, was chosen because it actually allows group playing. All those single-seat fighters suck at accommodating your typical PC group . . .
There are plenty of other multi-seat aircraft to choose from. Did it really have to be another US or German design?

Quote:
Easily represented by the 37mm antitank gun in there. GURPS difference is marginal. And the 2-pdr most certainly wasn't a more important gun than the 3.7cm PAK, which was both more numerous and used, in one form or another, by the Japanese, Dutch, Soviets, and others as well, plus the model for the US 37mm gun.
Choke on those words! ;)

The 2 pdr was margins ahead of the 37mm, its performance was so superior the two cannot really be put together. As for more important, maybe not. It was, however, the tank gun of nearly the entire British tank force, and the anti-tank gun of the entire army up until the 6 pdr. This was rather longer than the 37mm had been in use as a primary AT gun by any combatant!

Quote:
There is no doubt that the 2 PR No.2 was a very effective anti-tank gun when it was introduced. The larger calibre, with its correspondingly larger case, gave armour-piercing performance well above that of most 37mm guns; penetration of 53mm or armour plate at 60 degrees at 450m was achieved, compared with 30mm for the contemporary German 37mm weapon.

*from here

Quote:
Out of only 16 designs (all which there was room for)? Like one vehicle per combatant?
Maybe one each for the UK, US, Germany and USSR, with France and Italy getting a look in if room allows. Rather than, for example, 4 German, 4 US and one USSR?

Quote:
Again, so what? That's what the other books are for. You can't put all that stuff in a single volume, plus rules, plus advice how to game, plus an (abbreviated) history of the ENTIRE war. Not possible
No, you can't put everything in a single volume. But unless you sell the core rules as "WWII - The American Story", it would be nice to cut down the US-bias a tad. The US could have just as easily had its own supplement as the other combatants, leaving the core rules more generic and with a wider coverage.

Quote:
I very much doubt there ever will be a future edition.
Sadly, I agree.

Last edited by Sadurian Mike; 01-16-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Sadurian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 AM   #22
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadurian Mike
Well I've just (as in, within the last few minutes) bought three more supplements.
Glad to hear that...!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #23
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill
Doing my part for the "war effort", I purchased Michael's Army yesterday.

Very refreshing. All the other countries have numbers or technology or something else, that gives them an edge that the other countries didn't have and distinguishes them.
Romania just has good strong fighting men and not much else. Just courage, grit, and determination.
What can I say... thank you! I'm happy you liked it.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Glad to hear that...!
Well, in that case, you'll be delighted that I've also just sent off for WWII: All The King's Men and WWII: Motor Pool. Not available in pdf, and cheaper on Warehouse 23 "dead tree" than through Amazon, even taking postage from the US into account (ah, the weak dollar is sooo fine :oD). I will have to wait best part of a month for them to arrive, but it is still worth it.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
Out of only 16 designs (all which there was room for)? Like one vehicle per combatant?
Coincidentally, the FT17 (which you included in High-Tech) is one of the tanks I needed stats for for my campaign.

Now all I need are:

Renault R-35
AMR-33
Vickers Light Tank MkIV and V
Vickers Medium MkII
Rolls Royce A/C
Carden-Lloyd carrier
T-18
T-26
T-28
T-35
T-37
BT-5
BT-7

Anyone fancy statting them? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

:o)
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadurian Mike
Coincidentally, the FT17 (which you included in High-Tech) is one of the tanks I needed stats for for my campaign.

Now all I need are:

Renault R-35
AMR-33
Vickers Light Tank MkIV and V
Vickers Medium MkII
Rolls Royce A/C
Carden-Lloyd carrier
T-18
T-26
T-28
T-35
T-37
BT-5
BT-7

Anyone fancy statting them? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

:o)
The Rolls-Royce Pattern 20, Panhard AMD 35 (OK, it's not the AMR 33), Renault R-35 are in a book you have already ordered... guess which one. I think it also contains something else from your shopping list, one of the Soviet toys.
There is a Carrier in the other, IIRC, but a friend has borrowed it so I can't check the details.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #27
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
The Rolls-Royce Pattern 20, Panhard AMD 35 (OK, it's not the AMR 33), Renault R-35 are in a book you have already ordered... guess which one. I think it also contains something else from your shopping list, one of the Soviet toys.
There is a Carrier in the other, IIRC, but a friend has borrowed it so I can't check the details.
Well that's good news, it gives me a platform to build from for the others. I'm guessing the carrier will be the Universal ("Bren") Carrier, but the Universal and Carden-Lloyd were close enough that I may just use the Universal stats "as is".

I imagine it is the T-26 in Motor Pool*, it was certainly more numerous and important than the others. Having said that, the BT-7 would be a good candidate as well. Now I have to wait a month to find out!

Oooo the anticipation.

*EDIT: Of course, Doomed White Eagle contains the 7TP, so I could just use that if pressed....

Last edited by Sadurian Mike; 01-18-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Sadurian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
carllarson

I don't remember which, but aren't there a few vehicles in the Designer's Notes from the cutting room floor?
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #29
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllarson
I don't remember which, but aren't there a few vehicles in the Designer's Notes from the cutting room floor?
For my part I'd be happy just with 4e stats for the vehicles. The history, setting, and character templates I can do myself, but building vehicles up is a different matter. I guess I can give it a go, but I would prefer a 4e version of at least the vehicles covered in 3e.

Maybe even a conversion formula?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #30
sn0wball

The T-26 is included in Frozen Hell, along with the Vickers Armstrong 6 ton Mark E.

Tags
wwii