Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Injury Tolerance

Quite a few of my PCs and NPCs in my superhero game had IT:DR. A few of them had IT:DR /1.5, though I forget where that variant was canonized.

It was an extra step for calculating damage, but it kept folks alive when they should have died.

Quite a few bricks and Super ST scrappers in my Marvel Reboot project also have IT:DR. Most of the other flavors of IT show up somewhere.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #22
kirbwarrior

A new(ish) enhancement I have for Diffuse for +50% does the same thing IT:DR has as an option where the minimum damage isn't 1 or 2 but drops to 0. And like IT:DR, I find the enhancement a little expensive but not unreasonably so.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #23
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
A new(ish) enhancement I have for Diffuse for +50% does the same thing IT:DR has as an option where the minimum damage isn't 1 or 2 but drops to 0. And like IT:DR, I find the enhancement a little expensive but not unreasonably so.
I dunno, +50% for being invulnerable to broad damage types seems underpriced. Diffuse doesn't have any divisors, it automatically sets successful attacks to a minimum. The enhancement works for IT:DR because you can just hit harder to do damage, you can't do that with Diffuse.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #24
AlexanderHowl

I agree. Diffuse does not round, so the modifier should never be allowed. The modifier for Damage Reduction only changes the rounding (from up to down), which is why it is not terribly abusive. If you want complete invulnerability fron physical damage, take Insubstantiality instead.

For example, a character who possesses Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction, /10; Cosmic, Round down, +50%) [225] who is hit with a huge piercing attack that rolls 105 damage will take 20 HP of damage rather than 22 HP of damage. A character with Diffuse will only take 1 HP of damage. Where the former character is better off is in the case of a genade or the like that rolls 105 damage, as they will take 10 HP rather than 11 HP while the latter character is likely blown to smithereens unless they have Unkillable.

When it comes to package traits, Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction/10; Cosmic, +50%) [225] is probably less valuable than the combination of Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) [100], Regeneration (Regular) [25], and Unkillable 2 [100]. The former represents a character who can ignore minor damage and survive massive damage, but they have issues against large caliber weapons. The former represents a character who can tolerate massive damage unless it is explosive which, while they come back from the smallest particle, will take a few days.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #25
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I dunno, +50% for being invulnerable to broad damage types seems underpriced. Diffuse doesn't have any divisors, it automatically sets successful attacks to a minimum. The enhancement works for IT:DR because you can just hit harder to do damage, you can't do that with Diffuse.
The only case I've seen where it seems strong is a place where rules interactions seem odd to me already in RoF (I really don't understand why a RoF 5 gun will do more damage to a diffuse creature than a lance). Outside of that, it's already a pretty bad idea to use regular attacks against Diffuse (already a part of the 100pt package) and a setting where the types of attacks that get around Diffuse are especially rare would warrant an UB over and above the UB for getting Diffuse.

For instance, in a recent supers campaign, the 150pt package was basically "I'm immune to mundane weapons and make things a little more complicated for supers" and at half the price of "I'm for all intents and purposes immune to damage" that seemed fine. But in a fantasy medieval campaign where even wizards don't commonly get area attacks, I'd definitely charge 150+pts for UB.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, injury tolerance