Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #21
Pbuckley

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Higher Purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
While I do not, in fact, believe that it can do that, you've crossed the streams of what I've said.

I said on the one hand that motivation couldn't justify some of the things Higher Purpose can boost. And on the other hand, being "very studied and practiced" can be demonstrably false. (And on a third hand even when it's true that also can't justify some of the bonuses.)
What bonuses specifically are we talking about?
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
What bonuses specifically are we talking about?
The easiest example would be when the +1 applies to damage rolls. Which includes damage rolls for firearms or explosives don't forget.

(Higher Purpose also applies to resistance rolls, NPC reaction rolls, and any other weird roll where getting +1 is meaningful.)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #23
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The easiest example would be when the +1 applies to damage rolls. Which includes damage rolls for firearms or explosives don't forget.

(Higher Purpose also applies to resistance rolls, NPC reaction rolls, and any other weird roll where getting +1 is meaningful.)
Some of those feel more like weird mechanical outliers more than anything else. Firearms could be explained, but not explosives', resistance rolls makes sense, though NPC rolls would be a stretch I'll admit.

I guess it's a matter of whether you think an advantage's bonuses needs to make perfect sense in all cases for it's explanation or not.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, higher purpose