Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
Pbuckley

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Higher Purpose

I really don't think High Purpose requires a supernatural or narrative luck element, you are just really driven to preform the duty, and as such that drive gives you a bit of an extra edge. On top of that you are likely very studied and practiced when it comes to said Higher Purpose so that could factor in as well. It's not really that complicated.

Almost every one of my characters will take a higher purpose, but I am weird so eh.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
I really don't think High Purpose requires a supernatural or narrative luck element, you are just really driven to preform the duty, and as such that drive gives you a bit of an extra edge.
I don't believe motivation can produce bonuses to some of the things Higher Purpose does, personally.

(Also, Higher Purpose is disallowed for plenty of purposes that people find extremely motivating. Higher Purpose: Avoid Getting Killed is right out.)
Quote:
On top of that you are likely very studied and practiced when it comes to said Higher Purpose so that could factor in as well. It's not really that complicated.
Higher Purpose works just as well for actions taken with rock-bottom defaults as for things you're very good at. (Arguably better because the +1 helps more.) And it gives benefits that high skill cannot give.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I think the only time I've seen it on a PC is in the current Monster Hunters game (one PC, played by John in fact, has HP "hunt cryptids", but cryptids aren't by any means the only sort of monster they're dealing with)
I'd forgotten that. Mind you, I don't think there have been any actual cryptids: Florida Panthers are known to be real, but rare.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #14
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
(Also, Higher Purpose is disallowed for plenty of purposes that people find extremely motivating. Higher Purpose: Avoid Getting Killed is right out.)
Admittedly, it does describe Rincewind very well.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Higher Purpose: Avoid Getting Killed is right out.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Admittedly, it does describe Rincewind very well.
I would allow it for 15 or 20 points/level. Maybe. Although it would probably be better as a limitation DX/IQ/HT (Only to avoid getting killed, -10%).
Old 01-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #16
Tyneras

I took it linked to an involuntary Duty once, back when the Basic Set was the entire 4E library. When the angels told me to go forth and smite, I was a smiting machine! I just didn't get to choose the target.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #17
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would allow it for 15 or 20 points/level. Maybe. Although it would probably be better as a limitation DX/IQ/HT (Only to avoid getting killed, -10%).
I'd probably rename it, it's a bit like and inverted Daredevil.

As far as motivation cannot make you good at things your bad at. I disagree, heightened focus, adrenalin, and sheer pluck have managed to get me though many a situation I would otherwise be incompetent in.

The trick is to be able to harness that rather than to allow your emotions to go wild with you.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #18
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
For Rincewind it comes with the limitation "abject coward."

Folks who seek out danger like PCs cannot normally have this kind of higher purpose.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
Pbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
For Rincewind it comes with the limitation "abject coward."

Folks who seek out danger like PCs cannot normally have this kind of higher purpose.
Not normally no, but add a infatuation with one of the other PC's or an insatiable lust for gold, and you might have an interesting character (albeit one who is quite the bore to play in combat, "I run and hide" actually manages to sound worse than "I swing my sword".)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I'd probably rename it, it's a bit like and inverted Daredevil.

As far as motivation cannot make you good at things your bad at. I disagree, heightened focus, adrenalin, and sheer pluck have managed to get me though many a situation I would otherwise be incompetent in.

The trick is to be able to harness that rather than to allow your emotions to go wild with you.
While I do not, in fact, believe that it can do that, you've crossed the streams of what I've said.

I said on the one hand that motivation couldn't justify some of the things Higher Purpose can boost. And on the other hand, being "very studied and practiced" can be demonstrably false. (And on a third hand even when it's true that also can't justify some of the bonuses.)

Tags
advantage of the week, higher purpose