Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Hermaphromorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I think this is a pretty obscure thing to have as a top-level trait rather than as a special case of something else (a limitation on Shapeshifting, perhaps).
It seems clear to me that it is a variant of AF, but I don't see how to justify a limitation on that ad to obtain the book value.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Hermaphromorph is a fun trait, especially for social characters, as you can exploit Appearance, Erotic Art, and/or Sex Appeal to the fullest. Since it is not AF, all forms are natural to the individual, and it just allows you to switch between forms. The last character I designed with it had Androgynous [1] with Hermaphromorph (Reduced Time 3, +60%; Reflexive, +40%) [10], allowing them to instantly change into the appropriate sex for every occasion (and allowing their Appearance to seve with all forms).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #13
RedMattis

Assuming you interpret it as an obvious visual change and not just a literal gender-swap it can be quite useful. If not then it should be a [0-point] feature. I can't see why anyone would want to pay 5 points for "Can both impregnate and become pregnant with creatures of my race". It would be even stranger to pay for the trait if the race already is natural hermaphromorph (like some fish are).

I interpret it as a very limited shape-shift priced lower due to how very limited the change is, and used it as the basis for the lowest "level" of shape shifting when attempting to make the shape-shift trait more granular here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=46

I can definitely see it being worth its price. Even if both forms look like relatives swapping between handsome<-->beautiful and dressing accordingly would throw most people off. It also lets a party "face" character with high seduction and appearance work with both genders. Depending on setting the target may find their gender-swapping unsettling if they become aware of it though. It also requires some setup since it isn't instant and the advantage will not change your clothes (that would require Absorptive Change from Shape-Shift at least).

I don't think it has ever come up in play. I had the trait noted on an Incubus/Succubus-type being in a campaign, since it fits well with the old myths about demons "stealing"-sperm to impregnate human females. I never actually ended up using those creatures though.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
...(a) it's not going to come up very often, because there aren't a lot of adventurous worlds in which this kind of ability is important.

(b) In those worlds where it does matter, its value will be hugely variable (and possibly attached to Social Stigma, Social Regard, etc.).
I agree that the game effects could vary quite significantly with the game world. Things like switching Social Stigma would I think reasonably be included in the cost of Hermaphromorph. By comparison, Controllable Disadvantage in GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks allows you to turn one disadvantage (with limits) on and off for 1 point.

As for an advantage like Social Regard that's based on perceived sex/gender, I would lean toward having the PC pay for the advantage if Hermaphromorph would allow them to turn it on and off. Admittedly, that could be an issue where people are frequently required to show ID--"I don't care if you do look a man, your ID says you're female, so you are not allowed access."

But let's face it, additional effects could happen in changing virtually any trait. Being able to change your skin color could be relatively minor in some societies, but make a huge difference in others. In some cultures, people with Dwarfism had a Social Stigma; in others, they were sought out by royalty and could spend their lives well treated in royal court.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, hermaphromorph