Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Marvel-DC World Building Help

I'm doing my own superworld too. But with ideas from Marvel/DC because I think there power levels are too crazy.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
Culture20

For Submariner/Aquaman, you could assign Subby's heroic persona to A-man, and make Submariner the Atuma/Black Mantis. Or maybe Namor and Arthur are fraternal twins seperated at birth: one raised on land, the other under water. Arthur doesn't want the crown, but he's older by a few minutes... Namor could still be a mutant hybrid while Arthur is a "normal" hybrid.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
For Submariner/Aquaman, you could assign Subby's heroic persona to A-man, and make Submariner the Atuma/Black Mantis. Or maybe Namor and Arthur are fraternal twins seperated at birth: one raised on land, the other under water. Arthur doesn't want the crown, but he's older by a few minutes... Namor could still be a mutant hybrid while Arthur is a "normal" hybrid.
Interesting. From what I know of Namor, he's Machiavellian enough to be able to pull off the dual identity of twin roles. Perhaps combining the two?

Namor banished Arthur from Atlantis as a child as a threat to his rule. But uses the persona of Arthur to rally his people, or to be the 'carrot' super hero against the surface dwellers, allowing his Arthur to defeat his plans after he's already caused destruction to ocean destroying firms and enterprises. That way his Arthur can encourage them to pull back their efforts.

Of course since he's not the true heir of Atlantis he can't truly power the magic of the city, much of it encoded to only react to Prince Orin (Arthur)
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

What if it is just actually confused stories about the same person? He's a guy who smashes oil rigs and sinks whalers and the guy who rescues cruise liners from pirates and saves drowning surfers. From the point of view of Atlantis these are all heroic acts of the King, but from the surface dwellers' perspective this may look like the separate acts of an opposed supervillian and superhero.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-20-2017 at 11:28 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #15
Phantasm

The one game I ran which took place in Earth-Marvel/DC Crossover had two undersea nations that both called themselves Atlantis (much like there are two nations in Africa that both call themselves Congo).

Arthur's is based around a pair of cities: Poseidonis and Tritonis, the former with mostly-Caucasian amphibious humans, the latter with mer-people.

Namor's is based around a single city, which calls itself Atlantis. The humanoid people in Namor's Atlantis are blue-skinned. Namor, his cousin Namora, and Namora's daughter Namorita have Caucasian skin because they're primarily half-breeds (well, Nita's a quarter-bred) from American and Atlantean stock. Because the blue-skinned Atlanteans cannot normally breathe air while the Poseidonians can (for an hour), Namor and his cousins were mistaken from the start to be Poseidonians.

There was also Lemuria in the Pacific, with green-scaled humanoids.

(Namor's not really a villain, IMO, more of an anti-hero or anti-villain.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What if it is just actually confused stories about the same person? He's a guy who smashes oil rigs ...
I've always wondered a bit about this. The first time Namor smashes up an oil rig, it probably causes a pretty disastrous oil spill. (cf Deepwater Horizon). Since this is presumably exactly what he doesn't want (as well as the presumption of the surface dwellers etc. etc.), I'm guessing that Namor has a surprisingly sophisticated understanding of deepwater drilling and how to smash up a rig without causing a spill. Probably involves a bit of sneaky sabotage at the wellhead before he pops out of the water on top of a kraken or something. Or Superior Atlantean Oil-Cleaning Technology (TM).
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
I've always wondered a bit about this. The first time Namor smashes up an oil rig, it probably causes a pretty disastrous oil spill. (cf Deepwater Horizon). Since this is presumably exactly what he doesn't want (as well as the presumption of the surface dwellers etc. etc.), I'm guessing that Namor has a surprisingly sophisticated understanding of deepwater drilling and how to smash up a rig without causing a spill. Probably involves a bit of sneaky sabotage at the wellhead before he pops out of the water on top of a kraken or something. Or Superior Atlantean Oil-Cleaning Technology (TM).
Well the really best way would be to sell the surface world cheap Atlantian clean power technology while simultaneously making a legal claim to all marine fields and suing the oil companies...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
Drakyrias

I already have Sinister as part of the Court of Owls

But what other associations should exist across the brands?

I have one magic character so Constantine, Dr Strange, Zantana, and Dr Fate and how they should interact will be of interest to me since I don't know a huge amount about them.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
I have one magic character so Constantine, Dr Strange, Zantana, and Dr Fate and how they should interact will be of interest to me since I don't know a huge amount about them.
Constantine is a ritual caster who has a large but irregular knowledge of things sane people would never do.

Strange is the ultimate example of gaining super-powers by reading books. He knows things about pretty much everything in the Earth-adjacent extra-dimensional sphere. He's the Pro from Dover and who you want to answer your SOS.

Zatanna is a natural magic user using a specific framework to improvise what ever magical effects she needs. She does not traditionally act as supernatural cop being closer to a regular superhero.

Dr Fate is a mortal who is possessed by a god-like Lord of Order. He can do pretty much anything except out-wrestle the Spectre.

Note that the Spectre is pretty literally the Wrath of God (also possessing a mortal) and there are really no particular limits on his powers.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #20
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Constantine is a ritual caster who has a large but irregular knowledge of things sane people would never do.

Strange is the ultimate example of gaining super-powers by reading books. He knows things about pretty much everything in the Earth-adjacent extra-dimensional sphere. He's the Pro from Dover and who you want to answer your SOS.

Zatanna is a natural magic user using a specific framework to improvise what ever magical effects she needs. She does not traditionally act as supernatural cop being closer to a regular superhero.

Dr Fate is a mortal who is possessed by a god-like Lord of Order. He can do pretty much anything except out-wrestle the Spectre.

Note that the Spectre is pretty literally the Wrath of God (also possessing a mortal) and there are really no particular limits on his powers.
This much I knew, but how they might interact with each other is the question. Would Constantine and Dr. Strange get along for example?

As I understand it DC has a wider array of 'magic' headliners then Marvel, but would the Sorcerer Supreme, Zantanna and Dr. Fate work together to police the arcane forces in a mystical version of the avengers? Or are their personalities too contrary to each other?

Tags
3rd edition, supers, world building