Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: No Visual Memory / Can't Visualize / "Blind Inside"

I would like to know if people with this condition fail to create visual details of people or places they've never seen.
I've never seen most posters here, but when I read their names, I will imagine some visual physical details they almost certainly do not possess.
For example, I like Bruno, so she has blue eyes in my mind like my girlfriend or father. The odds are against that of course as most people globally have brown.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I would like to know if people with this condition fail to create visual details of people or places they've never seen.
I don't. I don't give people faces or imagine places I've never seen. If someone says "so and so looks like famous person" then until I meet them my 'mind's image' associates them with the prominent facial traits I can recall of that person. Same with places.

I do give people voices sometimes (and read stuff in that voice)... especially if they are fond of quoting particular people or 'speak' with similar mannerisms.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #23
Bruno

I don't get an impression of what internet people "look" like; you all "look" like some text on a hideous goldenrod background to me :)
Seeing as I have problems with faces, it's not much of a surprise that I have problems visualizing fictional faces - as a unit. I can work up a description of a fictional face by considering the parts. I come up with the appearance of a character through a game of 20-questions kinds of things: "What colour is their skin? Their eyes? Their hair? Is their hair straight, curly, or kinky? What's the bridge of their nose like? What's their nares like?" (seriously, I have to break down the face that much). I'm pretty sure this is how I look at faces IRL; I look at peoples noses or mouth, not their "face"; the face is really too vague a thing for me.

But that's probably even parts brain damage and autism spectrum stuff coming together to make faces awkward.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I tend to associate people with their avatars when possible, so I tend to imagine you as a youthful minotaur.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #25
Ulzgoroth

I don't even imagine appearances for characters in fiction who have detailed physical descriptions. Or for my own PCs. Never mind real people on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I tend to associate people with their avatars when possible, so I tend to imagine you as a youthful minotaur.
I certainly make the same association, sir mongoose.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I certainly make the same association, sir mongoose.
Yes, I can say the same too, for purposes of quick recognition. However usually I don't attribute to the person traits from such a picture, unless it's portraying something on it matching with what I perceive as his personality.

Because in absence of images, when there's no user profile picture (I really think the term avatar for that is awful), then I draw on memories of the personality I've been perceiving by means of what they wrote in the posts I read. However I think this second case isn't much related to the current discussion here.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #27
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I have come to realize that I'm essentially "blind inside" - I have no visual memory and can't visualize anything. (. . .)
I wonder if I can make a question, out of curiosity: when you are thinking in something, do you still visualize anything, no matter how faintly, fleeting, unrecognizable or meaningless it can be in the external world? It could be extremely quick, fuzzy, incomplete shapes or patterns of movement.

Quote:
So I'm wondering if this is just a quirk or more than that.
The difference depends on how annoying or impairing it's for you in daily life.

Quote:
what penalties might be associated with this, and in what situations?
Perhaps some skills, like drawing (right now I can't think of others) without having at view a model of reference, shouldn't be available, and wouldn't have any default value in this case. Or maybe one of, I don't know, 3-4 maximum.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 08-22-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #28
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm actually pretty good at drawing if I have enough time and present models. Even though I often combine such images into something not present, like six limbed amphibians, or my school picture head on the body of one of my He-Men figures. Don't judge young me. lol
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #29
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm actually pretty good at drawing if I have enough time and present models. Even though I often combine such images into something not present
Enigmatic and interesting.

Adding to my question above: JCurwen3, do you dream sometimes while sleeping? There are internal images in dreams without any help of external models. But if it were a visual memory issue (inability to summon images from remembrances), I wonder how it'd be possible to answer a question like this! Unless there's some kind of remaining trace.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 08-22-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
Because in absence of images, when there's no user profile picture (I really think the term avatar for that is awful)
Um, just to keep things straight, profile pictures and avatars are not the same thing. You can click sir_pudding's profile to see both (which are not the same at all). Some profiles have one or the other or neither.

Tags
disadvantages, quirks