Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #21
Dalillama

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Are we going alphabetically? It'll take years to cycle through...
I get the impression that it's specifically for skills with non-obvious adventuring/gaming applications or ones where the benefits are unclear.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I get the impression that it's specifically for skills with non-obvious adventuring/gaming applications or ones where the benefits are unclear.
Has he skipped any yet? We discussed Acrobatics which has obvious adventuring applications.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Has he skipped any yet? We discussed Acrobatics which has obvious adventuring applications.
That's one where the effects were unclear, but I could also be wrong entirely.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #24
johndallman
Night Watchman

My intention is to do all of the skills in Basic, except for the ones that get discussed endlessly (e.g., melee weapon skills) where another thread probably won't give much benefit. And, yes, it's going to be a long job.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:22 AM   #25
aesir23

You could start doing two a week. It looks like we don't have a lot more to say about administration.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #26
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Are we going alphabetically? It'll take years to cycle through...
Are we in a hurry? Is there a particular skill you're in a rush to discuss? Or are you enjoying this so much you'd like to do it more than once a week? Once a day, perhaps?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
You could start doing two a week. It looks like we don't have a lot more to say about administration.
True, but there are other skills that will take a week to discuss, and even crowd it. And a week's a nice recurrent cycle time. It isn't as if we were going anywhere.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #28
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

A PC in my Supers game is the twin sister of a CEO who runs a megacorp. If she ever gets serious about chasing down some of her sister's secrets, she's going to need to put her Administration skills to use; quite a few things are buried in the paperwork.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
True, but there are other skills that will take a week to discuss, and even crowd it. And a week's a nice recurrent cycle time. It isn't as if we were going anywhere.
That's pretty much how I feel about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Are we in a hurry? Is there a particular skill you're in a rush to discuss?
The last thing I'd want to do is inhibit someone with something they want to chew over from starting a thread.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That's pretty much how I feel about it.

The last thing I'd want to do is inhibit someone with something they want to chew over from starting a thread.
If that is how you wish to approach it, go ahead; I'll just re-affirm the counterargument that:
  • I didn't even realize this was a standard schedule.
  • Not everything will have the same time requirements for discussion.
  • Some of us will be going somewhere before we get done and thus may not be able to participate even if we would have wanted to.

I would maybe set a minimum time threshold, but if a thread dies down for say two or three days with no new posts, go ahead and make the next one. If a thread goes long... go ahead and make the next one; it really isn't that great a burden to have two or three of these active at once. If we get like five of them that are "hot" with dozens of replies each day, then I wouldn't start another thread until at least one of the existing dies down. YMMV, so feel free to select numbers/guidelines you deem appropriate.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
administration, basic, skill of the week, skills