Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Space] Climate & habitability of tide-locked planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Why? It's a pretty damn faithful implementation.
It generates worlds closer to the sun than is possible under the dice generation rules.

Quote:
Ah. I thought you were talking about people living on tide-locked worlds, because that was the topic. Referring to the geography of a normally-rotating world was rather confusing in context. So you were saying that people live in the mid-latitudes rather than at the east pole. What's the east pole on a normally-rotating planet?
Normally rotating planets don't have an east pole or a west pole at the far side

Quote:
There's got to be one such intersection to the east and the other to the west.
I suppose if you want to draw your map that way.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It generates worlds closer to the sun than is possible under the dice generation rules.
I wasn’t aware of that. I shall have to work out why, because it oughtn’t to.

Quote:
Normally rotating planets don't have an east pole or a west pole at the far side.
You still haven’t said what you mean by “east pole”, and it’s not a standard term.

Quote:
I suppose if you want to draw your map that way.
It has nothing to do with maps. On the actual planet there is a north pole and a south pole defined with respect to the rotation in the usual way, with an equator halfway between them in the usual place. The is no difficulty in defining latitude in the usual way, and that is what the planetary scientists who study and simulate these things do. There is no difficulty in defining east and west in the usual way, and that is what the planetary scientists do. What they discuss easterly and westerly winds and currents it is zonal ones, following parallels of latitude, that they refer to.

The equator and terminator are great circles, so they intersect at two points. The subsolar point stays very close to the equator because the tidal effects that reduce rotation rate also reduce obliquity. So however I draw a map, indeed whether I draw one or not, one of the intersections of the terminator and the equator is to the east of the subsolar point and the other is to the west of it. That is, using “east” and “west” in their usual senses, as the planetary scientists who study and model these planets and hypothetical planets do.

If you are using “east” and “west” in some unconventional way that you refuse to explain even when I ask, I have to conclude that you are not trying to communicate.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post

The equator and terminator are great circles, so they intersect at two points. The subsolar point stays very close to the equator because the tidal effects that reduce rotation rate also reduce obliquity. So however I draw a map, indeed whether I draw one or not, one of the intersections of the terminator and the equator is to the east of the subsolar point and the other is to the west of it. That is, using “east” and “west” in their usual senses, as the planetary scientists who study and model these planets and hypothetical planets do..
I did in fact mean the subsolar point when I said "east pole" and it seems to me the that the place to put the terminator on a tide locked planet would be running through the subsolar point and of course it's opposite.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #24
RyanW

Quote:
I did in fact mean the subsolar point when I said "east pole" and it seems to me the that the place to put the terminator on a tide locked planet would be running through the subsolar point and of course it's opposite.
Huh? The subsolar point experiences permanent noon. The terminator permanent twilight. They are as far away as you can possibly put them on a sphere.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
Agemegos

Quote:
That’s just bizarre. The subsolar point is the middle of the sunlit hemisphere, and the terminator is the edge of the sunlit hemisphere. The middle of a hemisphere can’t be at its edge.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #26
Daigoro

Quote:
Does "terminator" perhaps have another meaning of being the edge of a map? If so, I couldn't find any support for it though.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Does "terminator" perhaps have another meaning of being the edge of a map? If so, I couldn't find any support for it though.
No, I was just blanking on the concept.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #28
YankeeGamer

What it looks like to me is that there is enough uncertainty to make any of several different choices depending on what you want for gaming, and be able to justify them. It's even possible to use several depending on the sun, the eccentricity, and more.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, habitability, planet generation, space, system generation