Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
What does the American Revolution have to do with a world war? Was there a world war 0?
In history class, they told me that British Historians and the British Foreign Office used a different list of wars they called "World Wars." Given several 18th-century wars were fought on more continents than the 20th-century world wars. so they have a point.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Who does that? I live here, studied here, and never heard that term before.
I'll try to answer. Several college textbooks used that term, mainly western civ. and American History. I've read the term used in a book of Academic Articles by Dutch, Danish, and German historians translated by Scots and French historians. A French professor I took an 18th-century history colloquium from used the term. And an Italian historian whose self-translated book on the political evolution of Europe in the 1780s I read used it too.

However, I haven't heard the term since the year 2000. It may be out of date. As for names dates and book titles, I would need to go across town and sort through my storage unit. I simply lack the energy, forgive me.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #23
Phil Masters
 
Phil Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: U.K.
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Given several 18th-century wars were fought on more continents than the 20th-century world wars. so they have a point.
I’m sure one could split hairs on definitions until the cows came home, but I think that most sensible definitions of “world war” would end up calling the Seven Years War the first. Dragged in the Mughals and the Iroquois...

(And yeah, I guess you could even say it was fought on more continents than WWII, so long as “being firebombed” doesn’t count as fighting...)
__________________
--
Phil Masters
Creator of The Small Folk - Wainscot Urban Fantasy Roleplaying.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 06-14-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #24
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
However, I haven't heard the term since the year 2000. It may be out of date. As for names dates and book titles, I would need to go across town and sort through my storage unit. I simply lack the energy, forgive me.
I suspect it is just none of these wars were important enough in the long run for most Europeans to cover them in their history classes, as you might expect from the names - the Sixth Anglo-Spanish, Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, Second Anglo-Maratha Wars and the First League of Armed Neutrality

Though the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War does seem to have been relatively disastrous for the Netherlands and might be remembered more if the French Revolution hadn't overshadowed everything a decade later.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #25
pestigor
 
pestigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA
Default Re: American Revolution

I think most people here (In the Gurps forums anyway) either know or know where to find information about these times in history. I think what might be useful though is a series of Loadouts for the troops and civilians involved in these conflicts.
__________________
Trying to save Gurps by helping people ignore one unnecessarily over complex player ruling at a time.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
copeab
 
copeab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: near Houston
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
I am surprised no sourcebook covering the American Revolution was ever produced back in the days of 3rd Ed. So would one use High Tech, Age of Napoleon and maybe Swashbucklers to make a game set in the 1770s ?
It's been a few years since I looked through AoN, but HT and Swashbucklers would be useful (the ship combat in SB especially, although it's repeated in one of the Compendiums).

GURPS Scarlet Pimpernel is set in the right time period, but the focus is quite different. Also never owned it, so I can't say more about it.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #27
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I’m sure one could split hairs on definitions until the cows came home, but I think that most sensible definitions of “world war” would end up calling the Seven Years War the first. Dragged in the Mughals and the Iroquois...

(And yeah, I guess you could even say it was fought on more continents than WWII, so long as “being firebombed” doesn’t count as fighting...)
WWII = Europe, Asia, Africa, the Pacific Islands.

Seven Years War = Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, the Caribbean.

Yeah, the Seven Years War wins.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #28
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: American Revolution

In North America, prior to the Revolution, we had:

- King William's War (1688-1697), the North American theatre of the Nine Years War (1688-1697)
- Queen Anne's War (1702-1713), the North American theatre of the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714)
- King George's War (1744-1748), part of the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748)
- French and Indian War (1754-1763), part of and lead-in to the Seven Years War (1756-1763).

And then the American Revolution (1775-1783), which included in later years not only France starting in 1778, but Spain and the Dutch Republic in the periphery; Spain was an ally of France at the time and declared war on Britain that same year, and the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War (1780-1784) broke out over Dutch trade with the Americans during the Revolution. (I'm uncertain whether Spain or the Netherlands fought on North American soil during that time, nor am I certain as to whether or not they were officially allies of the Americans the way France was.


Note that the French Revolution broke out in 1789, and lasted until Napoleon became dictator in 1799.
__________________
"Life ... is an Oreo cookie." - J'onn J-onzz, 1991

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
Apollonian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
For the American Civil War, I'd probably go with a trio of Hot Spots books: Gettysburg, PA; Washington, DC; and Atlanta, GA. (I pick Gettysburg because it was the northernmost battle fought; most of the North was spared the horrors of the war.)
I'd forgo Gettysburg, as it's only famous for the one battle. Important as that battle may be, it's a bit short for a campaign. Instead, I'd probably go with Union-occupied New Orleans or Richmond. Or, of course, New York City. You could even do a pair of NYC hot spots, one for the AWI when it's occupied by the Brits, and the other during the ACW when you've got the draft riots and Gangs of New York action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
I think most people here (In the Gurps forums anyway) either know or know where to find information about these times in history. I think what might be useful though is a series of Loadouts for the troops and civilians involved in these conflicts.
Having a bunch of information in a game-ready packet complete with adventure hooks, NPCs, and maps is extremely valuable to me. And I'm personally well equipped to do the research; I just don't want to. I'd rather spend my gaming time prepping adventures or something. Also, if I start doing research I end up running down rabbit trails and the players get a lecture on the importance of the logistics of the Mississippi instead of an actual adventure running past the guns of Vicksburg.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #30
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: American Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
I'd forgo Gettysburg, as it's only famous for the one battle. Important as that battle may be, it's a bit short for a campaign. Instead, I'd probably go with Union-occupied New Orleans or Richmond. Or, of course, New York City. You could even do a pair of NYC hot spots, one for the AWI when it's occupied by the Brits, and the other during the ACW when you've got the draft riots and Gangs of New York action.
I think I mainly agree with you. Although a GURPS: Hot Spots: Vicksburgh would be valuable, it is an even more important battle than Gettysburg. A Hot Spots Civil War Virginia would cover many of the most vital campaigns and battles. But an overarching book would still be grand.

Quote:
Having a bunch of information in a game-ready packet complete with adventure hooks, NPCs, and maps is extremely valuable to me. And I'm personally well equipped to do the research; I just don't want to. I'd rather spend my gaming time prepping adventures or something. Also, if I start doing research I end up running down rabbit trails and the players get a lecture on the importance of the logistics of the Mississippi instead of an actual adventure running past the guns of Vicksburg.
Agreed, but it's so useful to know that Vicksburg's guns couldn't aim low enough to hit boats sailing close to the Vicksburg side of the river.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american revolution

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.