Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
KevinJ

Default Re: 'Kalinore' from Tomb of the Witch King (spoilers)

This is a thing that I see in the creation of some powerful enemies. I look at what they are and wonder how they go there.

Is IQ14 (maybe 16 if he had the ring before his transformation) to pull off his lichification? And if he didn't increase his ST/DX after Lichification, then he is almost RAW breaking. Mind you, you can do whatever you want for story.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Or maybe he's been doing just what you say and it led to something fun!
Fun for whom? It's all about the Context...
Old 01-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Even if he rolled an 18 on the control roll, is that a bad thing for this Lich?
If he pilled up lesser wishes he'd be dusted within a week.

My assumption is make a permanent pentagram (no need for Apprentices) then summon a demon a minute to grab everything of value on the entire planet.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
This is a thing that I see in the creation of some powerful enemies. I look at what they are and wonder how they go there.

Is IQ14 (maybe 16 if he had the ring before his transformation) to pull off his lichification? And if he didn't increase his ST/DX after Lichification, then he is almost RAW breaking. Mind you, you can do whatever you want for story.
This is the thing I'd like to see thought out more carefully in published works. I'm happy with all sorts of NPCs with all sorts of crazy, made up powers. But if your explanation of who they are and how they got there implies that they have lived under rules we already know, then that character's stats and other rules-bound qualities should make sense. I.e., your story, the core rules and the stat block should all line up with each other.

For example, if Kalinore's back store had been that he was a physically powerful warrior king who used a powerful, lost magical artifact or scroll or whatever to transform into a lich then the stat block we are given jives with where he came from. Or, if Kalinore had been an archmage but the rules block for liches says they gain 10 points of ST (but no IQ) after transforming, then story, rules and stat block would again line up. What I don't like is the feeling that the author's eyes aren't on the road when a concept is getting transformed into hard numbers and lists of spells and talents.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
This is the thing I'd like to see thought out more carefully in published works. I'm happy with all sorts of NPCs with all sorts of crazy, made up powers. But if your explanation of who they are and how they got there implies that they have lived under rules we already know, then that character's stats and other rules-bound qualities should make sense. I.e., your story, the core rules and the stat block should all line up with each other.

For example, if Kalinore's back store had been that he was a physically powerful warrior king who used a powerful, lost magical artifact or scroll or whatever to transform into a lich then the stat block we are given jives with where he came from. Or, if Kalinore had been an archmage but the rules block for liches says they gain 10 points of ST (but no IQ) after transforming, then story, rules and stat block would again line up. What I don't like is the feeling that the author's eyes aren't on the road when a concept is getting transformed into hard numbers and lists of spells and talents.
Yes, this exactly. Just creating a block of words and numbers to fit your narrative, but if it can't be explained within the mechanics it breaks things for me. Narrative+rules=interesting and fun.