Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-24-2019, 04:15 AM   #21
Chris Rice

Default Re: 2-Hex Jab Attack: Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Yes, that's what the List of Options says on ITL 102, and Option B is named "Charge Attack".

But then in the section on Pole Arms on ITL 111, it says: "A charge attack is defined as an attack in which the attacker moves from a non-adjacent hex to a hex adjacent to his target."

Well you can't 2-hex Jab somebody who's adjacent to you, so apparently you can't combine a Charge Attack with a 2-hex Jab. Ergo, confusion.
I think it's simply that option (b) is titled "Charge Attack" Which is misleading; it's simply any attack in which you move up to half your MA and perform a permitted attack. This may be a "charge attack" or a normal attack, or a jab, or a thrown weapon - it doesn't have to be a "Charge Attack" as defined on p111.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:31 AM   #22
FireHorse

Yes, presumably that's the explanation. So it would have been helpful if they had named Option B something else, instead of using the term "Charge Attack" in two different (and potentially contradictory) ways.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #23
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Yes, presumably that's the explanation. So it would have been helpful if they had named Option B something else, instead of using the term "Charge Attack" in two different (and potentially contradictory) ways.
Yes that's true. The title is just a shorthand and not the detail but it would have been better to call it something like "Move and Attack" or something else to avoid potential confusion.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #24
FireHorse

"Move and Attack" would indeed be better, with a note that IF the move brings you adjacent to the target, you may qualify for a Charge Attack (and "see 'Charge Attacks', pg. whatever").
Old 12-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #25
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Hence my attempt to re-do the options table you may find useful here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...27#post2284227
That was helpful, thanks for posting the link. I never got the old Advanced Melee, so now I am curious to see it. Grouping the options according to movement intrigues me, and may have given me a Brilliant Idea™.

I'm aiming for something even simpler though, and more visual (less text). Something that could fit on a card maybe, or no bigger than half a sheet of paper.

Last edited by FireHorse; 12-24-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #26
hcobb

Split the table like this:

If at the start of a figure's movement it is already engaged then it may stand still (reserving a change facing), or change facing, or shift and change facing. If it doesn't start engaged it may move up to its full MA until it becomes engaged. While moving a figure may perform certain actions during movement such as jumping, picking up or changing weapons, or attempting to enter another figure's hex.

(a) When the figure's turn to act comes if it expended more than half its MA in movement or other actions then it does nothing.

Otherwise it may choose from the following options:

(b) Attack with any thrown or wielded weapon.

(c) Dodge and defend.

(d) Drop to a prone or knelling position

If a figure expended only zero or one points of MA then it may choose from the above or the additional options:

(f) Missile Weapon attack. If now engaged drop the missile weapon in your hex after making the attack.

(g) Stand up

(h) Attempt to cast a spell

(i) Attempt to disbelieve one figure

(m) CHANGE WEAPONS: If the figure didn't fumble a quick pick up during movement it may now take its action to pick up or draw and ready a new weapon. If it is engaged it can't ready a missile weapon and must drop instead of reshelving the item held in that hand.

(n) DISENGAGE

If a figure is in HTH when it's turn to act comes it may choose from the following options:

(t) HTH ATTACK

(u) ATTEMPT TO DRAW DAGGER.

(v) ATTEMPT TO DISENGAGE from HTH.

(w) Concentrate and attempt to cast a spell on or disbelieve a figure in your hex.

Last edited by hcobb; 12-24-2019 at 02:43 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote