Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default 'Superheroes of Cidri'

Now that I've got my hard copy Companion I'm paying more attention to some of the things in it; one thing that I am doing immediately is adapting the Superheroes rules to create an interesting new group of rare but interesting NPCs in my Cidri campaign. The first one I made is more or less like Beowulf, if he had sunk into desperate alcoholism instead of becoming King. The PC's in my current campaign will cross paths with him in a road house the next time they return to civilization for rest and supplies. But there is a ton of potential here for other sorts of concepts. One I have in mind is to cook up a cadre of more-than-human NPCs who have established competing kindgoms/evil sorcerer realms, and who have some backstory connection with one another, a-la the Princes of Amber stories. I haven't decided whether or not I'll ever let people create PCs at this power level.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
GamerApe

Default Re: 'Superheroes of Cidri'

Great idea! What you're doing showcases the versatility of the system. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea!
GamerApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
larsdangly

Go crazy! I'll post my Beowulf-esque character in the 'giants in the earth' thread I started a couple of weeks back, and perhaps you can do the same.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
oldwolf

Funny that you mention the princes of Amber. I came across some of my Amber paperbacks the other day and it struck me they are very similar to Mnoren. I wonder if they were an inspiration for SJ when he came up with the Mnoren of Cidri?
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
larsdangly

Perhaps. I wrote up a peculiar superhero level NPC that my players will stumble across in their game (starting within the hour!). She is a confused, mentally ill person with the physical resilience of 'glass' (x3 toughness) and when emotionally stressed and threatened she blacks out and becomes capable of manifesting 'Hammertouch' as the spell (a slight hack on the spell like powers in the companion article). They will find her passed out in a room full of dead orcs who look like they were pulped in a juice squeezer.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
oldwolf

I like it. Makes me think of Corwin starting out in an asylum, drugged, with no memory in the first Amber book.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
larsdangly

That must have been my subconscious inspiration! Anyway, it was a fun encounter. The players really didn't understand what they had run across; they revived her and helped her back to a safe spot, but were confused about the scene and her explanation. They decided she'd been present at some sort of magical ritual gone wrong or something like that. I want this side of the campaign to be a slow burn, so I'm dropping it for now, but in a few weeks they'll run across her or another such figure in a different context and we'll see if the penny drops.