Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #161
pawsplay

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

For Grimm, I would consider adding Proud. A "chip on his shoulder" is fairly understated, and while he is happy to defer to Reed's intelligence and leadership, in general he is very concerned about getting respect and the negative reactions he gets. Treating him as the FF's chauffeur is not a good idea.

Back to Juggernaut... I like the power armor idea because it fits the original's parameters more. I was thinking about this more. What if the helmet was originally designed to help manifest powers in non-psis? But the actual result was a constant, amorphous telekinetic power, and incidentally disrupting any other abilities the wearer has. But as a side effect, the static grants considerable resistance to mental powers. As another side, in the long term, it has deleterious effects on the wearer's mental health. I think the demi-super-serum idea is not bad if you want to give him a cinematic bulk. That could have been conceived as part of the "super soldier" project before the psi boost turned out to be unfeasible.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #162
Donny Brook

Re: The Thing

I second Naloth on the under-strength and under-durability of the build.

Another suggested quirk: Idiosyncratic turns of phrase.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #163
awesomenessofme1

I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to implement it, but I've created a new house rule that will hopefully work well and allow more granularity in terms of ST scores. I still might bump up the highest level of Super ST by one, but we'll see how it works.

Super-ST Half-Levels
When buying ST (or any ST subtype) with the Super-Effort enhancement, you can buy a half-level. This increases your Super-Effort ST to the average granted by your current level and the next highest. ST half-levels do not provide a bonus to HP or general ST.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #164
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to implement it, but I've created a new house rule that will hopefully work well and allow more granularity in terms of ST scores. I still might bump up the highest level of Super ST by one, but we'll see how it works.

Super-ST Half-Levels
When buying ST (or any ST subtype) with the Super-Effort enhancement, you can buy a half-level. This increases your Super-Effort ST to the average granted by your current level and the next highest. ST half-levels do not provide a bonus to HP or general ST.
That looks good, and makes sense, IMHO. I may want to use something like that in my own Supers settings, if I don't decide to go with one of the other Super-ST variants.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #165
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Thing
I can understand the fear of the ocean: he needs to breath and he can't swim. But you gave him Vacuum Support. Does that mean he doesn't need to breath?

You could give him a minor enemy in the Yancy Street Gang. I remember reading one FF where the twist at the end is that Johnny was the one who wrote all those notes and there never was a real gang. :)
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #166
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
I can understand the fear of the ocean: he needs to breath and he can't swim. But you gave him Vacuum Support. Does that mean he doesn't need to breath?
No, looking it up it only protects against the other effects of being in a vacuum, the write-up specifically notes that you still need to breathe (and recommends buying 'Doesn't Breathe' for that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
You could give him a minor enemy in the Yancy Street Gang. I remember reading one FF where the twist at the end is that Johnny was the one who wrote all those notes and there never was a real gang. :)
The gang really exists in other issues, though, so it's not unreasonable that it exists here.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #167
awesomenessofme1

Updated the first three FF members. Here are the changes:

Mr. Fantastic:
  • Added Lifting ST and Super Throw.
  • Added Nuisance Effect (Must obviously stretch) to a few advantages. Feedback on whether I chose the right things to put it on would be appreciated, I tried to only put it on the ones where it wouldn't be obvious anything unusual was happening by default.
  • Added Signature Gear and a note related to it.
  • Added Dependent since I decided he'd already had a kid. In a realistic game, I wouldn't allow a 3-year-old to have FoA as low as 6, but I figured it's fine.
  • Added Dual Identity quirk since I just forgot the first time around.

Human Torch:
  • Lowered his age so he was only 18 on the original trip where they got their powers.
  • Added Dual Identity quirk since I just forgot the first time around.
  • Fixed a few errors where I'd forgotten to write that his Flight has Cosmic (Complete Maneuverability). I had the points right overall, I'd just forgotten to write it.
  • Completely forgot to bold like half the headers the first time. Fixed.

Thing
  • Increased Damage Reduction from (5) to (10).
  • Dropped Hard to Subdue. I'm not sure why I even put it there, I think I just copied it from the Brick template without thinking about it.
  • Added Checkered Past quirk.

I hope to have Invisible Woman up within 24 hours. Just need to finish the bio.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #168
Aldric

Just wondering what kind of penalty do you see associated with the Nuisance effect (must obviously stretch).
You could also add it to Flight, since the default flight needs no wings, even for gliding, and he does present a much larger target when gliding.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #169
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Just wondering what kind of penalty do you see associated with the Nuisance effect (must obviously stretch).
You could also add it to Flight, since the default flight needs no wings, even for gliding, and he does present a much larger target when gliding.
Obviousness, primarily. With Elastic Skin, he can disguise himself pretty easily, but if he needs to stretch himself to use a certain ability, that would break a disguise. That's why I didn't include it in Flight. If he's gliding, there's clearly something unusual going on with him.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #170
awesomenessofme1

Invisible Woman

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 120 lb
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Uniform: Blue bodysuit with black trim and stylized “4” in the center of the chest, black boots, gloves, and belt
Powers: Invisibility. Control over force fields that can provide protection, imprison others, and allow a kind of telekinesis.
Skills: Qualified (though not licensed) physician and psychologist. Swam competitively in high school and keeps up her skills. Competent unarmed fighter.

Sue Storm’s mother died in a car accident when she was in her early teens. As a result, her father became distant, and she was forced into a maternal role toward her ten-years-younger brother Johnny. In high school, she became a star swimmer; in college, she followed her father’s footsteps by pursing a pre-med track. She was later forced to drop out due to financial issues.

About nine years ago, Storm met the scientist/entrepreneur Reed Richards and the two began dating. When Richards began planning for his Mars mission, he invited her to come along, since her medical and psychological experience could prove necessary in a long, isolated trip farther from other humans than anyone else in history. She eagerly accepted. Storm also introduced Richards to Johnny, who had developed an incredible natural talent as a mechanic, and he ended up becoming attached to the project as well. On that mission, the crew were exposed to an unknown type of cosmic radiation that later led to them manifesting powers. In Sue’s case, this manifested as the ability to turn herself invisible and project force fields. She is somehow able to see while invisible; the mechanics behind this are currently unknown.

A few months after arriving back to Earth, Reed and Sue were married. They described their motivation as “a sudden rush of mortality”, though later they would express relief that they’d done it before their celebrity had grown too much. They would later have a son, named Franklin after Sue’s father. So far, he seems to be a completely ordinary boy, if quite smart for his age, but only time will tell what effects his parent’s lineage might have for him.

Invisible Woman [581]

Attributes [77]
ST 9 [-10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 11 [10]
Damage 1d-2/1d-1
BL 16 lb
HP 10 [2]
Will 13 [0]
Per 12 [-5]
FP 11 [0]
Basic Speed 5.50 [0]
Basic Move 5 [0]
Dodge 8
SM0

Advantages [517]
Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Binding 50 (Long-Range 1, +50%; Unbreakable, +40%; Inaccurate 3, -15%; One-Shot, -10%; Super, -10%; Alternative Ability to DR, x1/5) [31]
DR20 (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect (4 yd), +100%; Force Field, +20%; Hardened 4, +80%; Super, -10%) [350]
Force Construct Talent 3 [15]
Healer 2 [20]
Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Switchable, +10%; Super, -10%) [60]
Status 1 [5]
Telekinesis 20 (Increased Range x10, +30%; Cannot Affect Self, -20%; Cannot Punch, -10%; Visible, -20%; Super, -10%, Alternative Ability to DR, x1/5) [14]
Wealth (Comfortable) [10]

Perks [1]
Supersuit [1]

Disadvantages [-57]
Charitable (15) [-7]
Chummy [-5]
Dependent (Franklin Richards; Built on 0 points or less; 6 or less; Loved one) [-15]
Honesty (12) [-10]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]
Selfless (12) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Family and friends) [-5]

Quirks [-3]
Determined [-1]
Dual Identity [-1]
Responsible [-1]

Skills [46]
Acrobatics-10 [2]
Area Knowledge (New York City)-14 [2]
Biology/TL8-11 [2]