Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #761
ronwit

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
A "Boys from Brazil" scenario might be another possibility.
This could happen naturally on Ip-Earth. Some crazy who thinks he is Hitler or was in a previous life, the spirits make this true. Hitler as a comic book super villain gets that weird charisma vibe that allows him attract followers including working Mad Scientists. If there can be more than one Batman, there can be more than one Hitler. Some of these guys will decide "There can be only One" and start gang wars to wipe out the others. All of this would be bad enough except one of them was a Marvel fan-boy before the change realizes that Dsp-Hitler could return as the Hate Monger. So he cobbles together the Hate Monger's Hate Gun out of trash and goes on a rampage. What is worse after he is taken out someone else appears claiming to be the same Hate Monger in a different body and this turns out to be true.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #762
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwit View Post
This could happen naturally on Ip-Earth. Some crazy who thinks he is Hitler or was in a previous life, the spirits make this true. Hitler as a comic book super villain gets that weird charisma vibe that allows him attract followers including working Mad Scientists. If there can be more than one Batman, there can be more than one Hitler. Some of these guys will decide "There can be only One" and start gang wars to wipe out the others. All of this would be bad enough except one of them was a Marvel fan-boy before the change realizes that Dsp-Hitler could return as the Hate Monger. So he cobbles together the Hate Monger's Hate Gun out of trash and goes on a rampage. What is worse after he is taken out someone else appears claiming to be the same Hate Monger in a different body and this turns out to be true.
... and just think, that's only one of many possible scenarios that can occur involving fictionalized historical figures brought to 'life' on Inp-Earth.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #763
ronwit

I had that thought. They don't call it the Napoleon complex for nothing.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #764
ronwit

And of course, how many minor rings of invisibility are lying around. I have one............and it is very beautiful, it is my precious, isn't it my darling (gollum) yes it is and we shall not let those filthy Bagginses get their filthy hands on it shall we my precious, (gollum) no we shall not, filthy Bagginses..............Wait, What, Where was I, Oh well...................filthy Bagginses.............(gollum)............
Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #765
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwit View Post
Or if you want something really scary you could get a Er ist wieder da (Look Who's Back) situation. Its not a crazy or a reincarnation but the real deal somehow transported from his 1945 bunker to 2014 Berlin. The interviews presented in the film were real with the actor remaining in character throughout and many are... disturbing.

Another option is Twilight Zone's He's Alive:

"Where will he go next, this phantom from another time, this resurrected ghost of a previous nightmare – Chicago? Los Angeles? Miami, Florida? Vincennes, Indiana? Syracuse, New York? Anyplace, everyplace, where there's hate, where there's prejudice, where there's bigotry. He's alive. He's alive so long as these evils exist. Remember that when he comes to your town. Remember it when you hear his voice speaking out through others. Remember it when you hear a name called, a minority attacked, any blind, unreasoning assault on a people or any human being. He's alive because through these things we keep him alive."
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #766
Prince Charon

A video that is somewhat of interest here, if you have the time to spare: Mysteries of the Bennington Triangle (about twenty minutes long). A series of mysterious disappearances, most of which could plausibly have been cause by a serial killer who knows the area very well, but then there's James Tedford, who disappeared out of a moving bus. These are all in the future of Earth-2, and thus might not happen (if a future Earth had records of alternate me disappearing in a region and I learned of it, I'd be pretty reluctant to go there), but the tales of Native Americans disappearing predate it, and the portals might go somewhere that is reachable by one or more of the Five Earths.

Certainly, with the appearance of the other Earths and the information flowing back from them, new research on historical disappearances s likely to be done.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #767
Prince Charon

French Space Force (Armée de l'Espace)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...France.svg.png

Ranks

The Armée de l'Espace makes use of French Air Force ranks and insignia, with minor modifications to the names, and replacing the bird with a comet.

OF-10 Maréchal de l'Espace (only if Chief of Staff of the European Union Space Forces in Wartime)

OF-9 Général d'Armée Espace
OF-8 Général de Corps Espace
OF-7 Général de Division Espace
OF-6 Général de Brigade Espace

OF-5 Colonel
OF-4 Lieutenant-Colonel
OF-3 Commandant
OF-2 Capitaine
OF-1 Lieutenant
OF-1 Sous-Lieutenant

OF(D) Aspirant
OF(D) Aspirant Non-Élève
OF(D) Aspirant EOPN
OF(D) Aspirant Élève
OF(D) Élève Officier

OR-9 Major
OR-9 Adjudant-chef
OR-8 Adjudant

OR-6 Sergent-chef
OR-5 Sergent
OR-4 Caporal-chef
OR-3 Caporal
OR-2 Espatier de Première classe
OR-1 Espatier de Deuxième classe

The Armée de l'Espace currently uses modified Armée de l'Air uniforms, though a number of new designs have been presented.

The spacesuit was jointly developed with Germany, and is thus the same model used by the Raumpatrouille and Raumflotte, with different insignia and patches.

(The Aspirant/OF(D) ranks are from OTL 2013, I think. The article has changed a bit since then.)

-- Tacitus

Old 09-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #768
Prince Charon

Ray Weapon Designations on Dieselpunk/Atompunk Earth

Dieselpunk Earth produces a fairly wide variety of energy weapons (though few of them have large production runs at this time, something likely to change as Dieselpunk becomes Atompunk), enough that there is a need for multiple categories that fall under the heading of 'ray-gun,' itself meaning 'any ranged weapon that inflicts damage using rays of energy, rather than fast-moving matter.' Some rays fit into multiple categories.

Heat Ray: Weapons that cause damage primarily by heating up part of the target; mostly these are masers or lasers, though some pyrokinetic devices are placed in this category, along with a few particle beam weapons.

Electric Ray: A ray gun that does its work via electricity. Many Stun Rays and Sting Rays (see below) overlap with this category.

Psi Ray: Any energy weapon that does damage or affliction through an explicitly psionic effect might be called a psi ray, though this covers far more weapons than it is normally applied to. In most cases, telepathic and vampiric weapons are far more likely to be called 'psi rays' than psychokinetic or ergokinetic weapons will. Transmutation rays (frequently biokinetic and slow-acting, or fast and based on warping space) also fall in this category.

Force Ray: A weapon that inflicts damage, or otherwise attacks, though kinetic (nearly always psychokinetic) energy, also called a 'pressor' or 'repulsor' (or 'tractor' for Force Rays that pull on the target).

Atomic Ray: An energy weapon that causes damage via ionizing radiation (and also quite often causes radiation sickness and cancer). These are generally more talked about than actually used.

Sting Ray: Also called a 'pain ray' or 'prod,' this designation refers to any weapon that is more designed to inflict pain than to do anything else, like cause damage or unconsciousness. They most commonly are taser-like weapons using magic and/or UV lasers to carry the current, instead of wires. Such weapons tend to be used as compliance tools, instruments of torture, and combat practice devices.

Stun Ray: A ray weapon that is designed it incapacitate the target, preferably without doing much damage. This includes weapons that leave the victim stunned or dazed, unconscious, or temporarily paralyzed (the latter being called paralo-rays). The term sometimes refers to directed EMP weapons, or other devices intended to shut down machinery.

Death Ray: Any energy weapon that is not intended to be less-lethal is likely to be called a death ray.

Disintegration Ray: A ray gun designed to rapidly reduce the target, or a significant portion thereof, to small particles (whether ash & dust, molecules, atoms, or subatomic particles), without a noticeable explosion. Usually a type of Death Ray, though some disintegrators do not effect living matter.

Thoughts?

-- Tacitus

Old 09-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #769
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
[SIZE=4]
Thoughts?
You forgot Vita-Rays.

And no, Captain America is not the only hero to get powers from Vita-Rays. Mystico the Mummy, Mr Scarlet and Pinky, and many other public domain heroes got their powers from vita-rays. Enough that it could be considered a generic dieselpunk term for any mutation-causing radiation.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #770
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
You forgot Vita-Rays.

And no, Captain America is not the only hero to get powers from Vita-Rays. Mystico the Mummy, Mr Scarlet and Pinky, and many other public domain heroes got their powers from vita-rays. Enough that it could be considered a generic dieselpunk term for any mutation-causing radiation.
Vita-Rays fall under Psi Rays, being biokinetic in nature. Also, this was intended as a list of weapons.

-- Tacitus

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds