Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Fez

Default So, ancient armor questions...

Just how flexible are the rules on flexible armor, exactly?

What I mean is this - scale and segmented plate, for example, are not flexible armors. Does that mean that I can't put them on the abdomen, arms and legs because they need to bend? I could understand following the rules for chinks in armor, or even putting them on just the long bones, but what of the abdomen? Do you just go with layered leather or mail on the joints and belly? Or am I safe in having a hauberk (or haubergon) of heavy scale that covers the shoulders, chest, abdomen, groin and thighs?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: So, ancient armor questions...

Heavy scale is rigid and shouldn't be worn on the abdomen or joints. Medium and light scale are flexible enough for all-over cover.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Heavy scale is rigid and shouldn't be worn on the abdomen or joints. Medium and light scale are flexible enough for all-over cover.
How about segmented plate? Is there a practical limit on the amount of Heavy Plate that can be used for it until it's no longer flexible enough to cover limbs and abdomen?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Fez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Does Low-Tech delineate which armors are truly flexible (i.e. can be worn under other armor, vulnerable to crushing damage), which are flexible enough to wear on joints without causing any penalties, and which are too rigid for use on joints, and need to be articulated with mail or the like?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Fez

Maybe a better question is: If the armor is in Instant Armor for a location (i.e. Torso) does that mean it's okay for that whole meta-location? Because right now Heavy Plate (DR 9) is included for Torso, but not for the sublocation of Abdomen...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez View Post
Maybe a better question is: If the armor is in Instant Armor for a location (i.e. Torso) does that mean it's okay for that whole meta-location? Because right now Heavy Plate (DR 9) is included for Torso, but not for the sublocation of Abdomen...
Low Tech related sources tend to swing between pointing out technical issues and disregarding them for simplicity, even on the exact same issue.

Using anything from the Plate or other 'really rigid' categories for the abdomen is probably not entirely appropriate.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Maybe a better question is: If the armor is in Instant Armor for a location (i.e. Torso) does that mean it's okay for that whole meta-location?
Quote:
Because right now Heavy Plate (DR 9) is included for Torso, but not for the sublocation of Abdomen...
Abdomen isn't a "sublocation". In the Basic Set, there is Torso and Groin. As an optional rule, presented in Low Tech, there is Chest and Abdomen, and Groin is a sublocation of Abdomen. This is an optional rule that replaces all references to Torso and "Groin as a primary location".

Both types are included in Instant Armor because not everyone wants to go with new hit locations. And if you don't have the Abdomen hit location, you don't care what's forbidden on it.

If you're using Abdomen, don't use Torso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Low Tech related sources tend to swing between pointing out technical issues and disregarding them for simplicity, even on the exact same issue.
By presenting optional rules to crank up the detail, usually. Much like a lot of other GURPS books.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Fez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

Using anything from the Plate or other 'really rigid' categories for the abdomen is probably not entirely appropriate.
I'm leaning in the same direction - thinking I'll go back through the lists and purge things from the broader hit location that aren't allowed on individual subsets.

I'm feeling pretty good about things like the lighter scales, any mail, and segmented plate on such locations. What do you think?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
By presenting optional rules to crank up the detail, usually. Much like a lot of other GURPS books.
In this specific case I find a tendency to change detail level without giving any kind of notice to the reader.
Quote:
I'm leaning in the same direction - thinking I'll go back through the lists and purge things from the broader hit location that aren't allowed on individual subsets.

I'm feeling pretty good about things like the lighter scales, any mail, and segmented plate on such locations. What do you think?
That seems to be the indicated approach, yes. Also some of the non-metalic options of course.

Though, what do you mean by 'such locations'? Abdomen doesn't seem quite like anything else. Neck is even more limited, except when you use certain odd possibilities. Major on the other hand can be protected (at least outside) by stuff that seems to be represented by Plate.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Fez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Abdomen isn't a "sublocation". In the Basic Set, there is Torso and Groin. As an optional rule, presented in Low Tech, there is Chest and Abdomen, and Groin is a sublocation of Abdomen. This is an optional rule that replaces all references to Torso and "Groin as a primary location".

Both types are included in Instant Armor because not everyone wants to go with new hit locations. And if you don't have the Abdomen hit location, you don't care what's forbidden on it.

If you're using Abdomen, don't use Torso.
And the lightbulb comes on. I did wonder why they'd let you put a ridiculously rigid armor on Torso when it would be ridiculous to have on the abdomen, but if you're using Torso as an indivisible option it makes sense or you'd never be allowed things like breastplates.

I'm a fan of the greater abstraction, so smaller units of hit location it is for me.

Tags
armor, low tech armor, low-tech