Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Hide

Default Re: [MH] Ten bore Colt 'pistol'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
As the other poster imp;lied the gun would fire what you loaded it with. 2D-1 would be the damage for a single pellet of buckshot. You would resolve how many pellets hit using the shotgun rules as normal. If you loaded it witha single ball you would get the higher damge I determined.
I see, this is kind of weird. I know this is a custom gun; however, an "universal gun" sounds like an arm from a video-game =o

Could it be that bullets for this weapon work like the "bullets" for old muskets or "dragoon pistols"? (in the sense you essentially make the "bullets").
Old 10-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Ten "bore" means it was made for musket balls that massed 1/10 of pound (probably a Troy pound).
Avoirdupois is used so if you actually converted to Troy pound your ball is too small. 7000 grains in an avoirdupois pound for a 1.58 oz ball while a Troy pound has 5760 grains making a 1.30 oz ball.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
I don't believe it is. The Colt 1855 5 shot revolving shotgun on p. 104 of Huigh Tech is in 20 G and not 10. Even in the slightly expanded text of Adventure Guns no 10 gauge variant is mentioned.
Someone with much better gun knowledge (than what I have) will have to explain how to "convert" 20G into 10G. Though, I suspect that there might have to be a little more fiddling here and there. I don't mess with guns in GURPS that often, but I'd almost suspect that there might be rules for this kind of stuff out there somewhere already...
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Someone with much better gun knowledge (than what I have) will have to explain how to "convert" 20G into 10G. y...
You'd need a new cylinder, a new barrel and probaby a new frame to hold them. There might be soem parts of the old gun you could re-use.

However, High Tech does note that only a few hundred of the 20G guns were made in 1855-1864. Even if I had one of these fabulous rarities I wouldn't cannibalize it to make a novelty BFR. It's not like the "steel" (which might be better classed as some grade of iron) would be safe to use with smokeless powder anyway.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Avoirdupois is used so if you actually converted to Troy pound your ball is too small. 7000 grains in an avoirdupois pound for a 1.58 oz ball while a Troy pound has 5760 grains making a 1.30 oz ball.
Ah, as long as you're sure. I was mostly basing my guess on some old gun writers calling 240 grains "half an ounce". That would have been a Troy ounce.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post

Could it be that bullets for this weapon work like the "bullets" for old muskets or "dragoon pistols"? (in the sense you essentially make the "bullets").
If you used buckshot you could use commerically produced loose shot of any weight you liked. I can't remember off-hand anyone making new 10G shotguns. Pre-cast balls might be available anyway but having to melt lead and make your own would not be unlikley at all.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Someone with much better gun knowledge (than what I have) will have to explain how to "convert" 20G into 10G.
You... don't... ?

A 10 gauge and a 20 gauge are entirely different bore sizes, that is the barrel has a greater diameter on the 10 gauge, thus the bullet (slug) has a greater diameter. 'Gauge' is a measure of how many balls made to fit the barrel diameter are needed to equal a pound in weight, thus the larger the number the smaller the barrel.

Your question is equivalent to "How do I convert a .22 into a .357?"

Basically, find a 10 gauge shotgun statted up in GURPS and swap it's damage in for the Colt's, or go with the damage Fred came up with.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
adm

I suspect Raekai meant; How do you convert the stats from 20G to 10G, given the general conversation on this thread.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I suspect Raekai meant; How do you convert the stats from 20G to 10G, given the general conversation on this thread.
In that case he should wait for HANS to show up.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #20
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Yes, that's what I meant! When I said I didn't know a lot about guns, I didn't mean that I thought parts could simply be swapped... 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
In that case he should wait for HANS to show up.
And duly noted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Basically, find a 10 gauge shotgun statted up in GURPS and swap it's damage in for the Colt's, or go with the damage Fred came up with.
Though, this is also duly noted! 2d-1 pi for pellets and 6d+1 pi+ (just pi+ for 10G, right?) for slugs sounds awesome to me!

If this is a whippet sawed-off with the shoulder stock removed (per HT p. 106), it sounds like 2d-1 pi, Acc 2 (-1 from removed shoulder stock), Weight 8-ish (-2 from whippet size, -1 from removed shoulder stock), Range 40/800, RoF 1×11 (per other 10G shotguns), Shots 5(20i), ST 14 (12 per other 10G shotguns, × 1.2 from removed shoulder stock), Bulk -3 (remove -2 from whippet size, removed -1 from removed shoulder stock), Rcl 1/8 (1/7 per other 10G shotguns, +1 from removed shoulder stock).

Without the explanation in the way: 2d-1 pi, Acc 2, Weight 8-ish, Range 40/800, RoF 1×11, Shots 5(20i), ST 14, Bulk -3, Recoil 1/8.

With a slug at 6d+1 pi+ and Acc 3, it sounds like it might give the Super Ruger Redhawk a run for its money. Though, it's only Range 100/1200 and RoF 1, then there's the abysmal load times... But it sounds more fun, and that's just from my shoddy guesstimation. And it seems there's a difference in the stats in HT and Adventure Guns. Plain ol' HT would give -1 Acc, +1 RoF, and reduce Shots to 10i. I'd assume Adventure Guns is more accurate, but HT's stats also sound more fun.

Just putting that out there to check myself. Again, I don't really mess with guns too often in reality or in GURPS.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote