Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #71
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Making more ammo stuck on a low tech world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
There is a chemical refinery system in the spaceships book and the purpose of this vehicle was supposed to help with ammunition and weapon production in places where a small force was operating away from modern infrastructure If local resources could be found and fed into it. So obviously I should add a chemical refinery that is set up for making the powder. I still have time to edit things and I can't imagine my GM would have issue with that.
If you've got onboard capability to go from raw unextracted minerals and organics to ammo, and have some reasonable way of surveying and moving your apparatus about, then there's no significant problem.

Getting all that and a nuclear power plant in 300 tons at TL8 seems ambitious.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #72
Kfireblade

well, using the spaceship building rules it's possible, though I would say leaning on the cinematic side of things. Which is fine for this campaign because its a high point total game with powers and magic and things to.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #73
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I think the more plausible TL8 solution would be a fleet of vehicles and modular trailers, or an aircraft carrier task group if you don't need to be on land.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #74
weby

I think that a much better use for the workshop and such than making high tech ammo would be to make lower tech weapons that can then use black powder. Those would still be superior to TL4 weapons and MUCH easier to keep supplied.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #75
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I think that a much better use for the workshop and such than making high tech ammo would be to make lower tech weapons that can then use black powder. Those would still be superior to TL4 weapons and MUCH easier to keep supplied.
Its not so much the TL 4 weapons I'm worried about as it is the TL 5 guys who also have magic, and some strange magical technology, and other threats of threats of magical or supernatural variety. As far as I know none of them are immune to bullets and explosives, but they are fairly formidable and I would like to at least technologically have a leg up on them.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #76
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
While true enough, and such things make for interesting reading, it's not very helpful for the adventure genre with the high-tech pioneer. It's also not really definitive that it's _impossible_ to do without that global economy. That may be convenient and cheap when you do have that network to use, hence it's the only way it's done, but that's not the same as thing as being required.
This is the important point in your manifesto. People can make stuff without a global economy: they have done so in the past, QED. (And I could damned well make a functional pencil, it just wouldn't be a Skillcraft No.2.) Are there items for which it wouldn't be realistic? Sure! Almost anything based upon a transistor comes immediately to mind. But when all you're talking about is metal forming and a little (incredibly basic) chemistry? I maintain that a black-powder Winchester is within reason, realistically. Especially since it's TL4/5, so things like worked steel are already available.

Check out the Gingergy Books. It's "How to bootstrap a machine shop using scrap metal", albeit the first step is making some aluminum castings. And bear in mind the Khyber Pass firearms industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Yeah. That's what I said. Make some Winchesters (exact model depending upon how much power you need).

Last edited by acrosome; 11-10-2017 at 11:16 AM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #77
Anthony

Quote:
Its not so much the TL 4 weapons I'm worried about as it is the TL 5 guys who also have magic, and some strange magical technology, and other threats of threats of magical or supernatural variety. As far as I know none of them are immune to bullets and explosives, but they are fairly formidable and I would like to at least technologically have a leg up on them.
The thing is, the number of weapons you can realistic produce drops rapidly as they become more advanced. It's better to equip a hundred guys with TL 5 rifles than one guy with an assault rifle.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #78
AlexanderHowl

I agree. I am a vet and I know a dozen people who can make the equivalent of TL5 rifles and ammo in their garage. I know no one that can do the same with the equivalent of a TL8 rifle or ammo in their garage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #79
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

FWIW graphite pencils are TL4.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #80
weby

Quote:
Well, a early TL 5, they are still limited to single shot weapons with slow reload times. So recruiting some locals and arming them with revolvers, Winchesters, mechanical machine guns and some quick firing field artillery should make short work of anything early TL 5 that does not have missile shield spell..

Tags
ammo, gurps, high tl, low tl