Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Tinman

Default Help with the Spell Choke

According to the description of the spell choke: The subject becomes unable to breathe (or speak) and suffers the effects of suffocation(B.436).

According to Incapacitating Conditions(B.428): Choking: You are unable to breathe or speak. You may do nothing but drop. While the choking endures, you suffer the effects of suffocation.

Does the latter apply to victims of the choke spell too?

If not it seems you can run around, attack, cast spells & do whatever under the effects of the choke spell.

Is this true? Thanks in advance for all the help.

PS: can anyone link the thread where the all powerful Kromm posted the hart attack spell ? Thanks.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Help with the Spell Choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman
According to the description of the spell choke: The subject becomes unable to breathe (or speak) and suffers the effects of suffocation(B.436).

According to Incapacitating Conditions(B.428): Choking: You are unable to breathe or speak. You may do nothing but drop. While the choking endures, you suffer the effects of suffocation.

Does the latter apply to victims of the choke spell too?
It's hard to be certain with Magic, but I notice that the spell pointedly does not refer to the condition Choking on B428. Also, note that Choke is easier to learn and cheaper to cast than Agonize, which does duplicate the effects of the similarly-named affliction. This suggests that the Choke spell only does exactly what it says, and does not further incapacitate its subjects (unlike the unfortunate sufferers of the Choking condition).

Kromm's Heart Attack spell.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
giganerds

The Choke Spell does put a incapacitating condition, It simply make your target start suffocating without air obstructing the air passage of your lungs (so you cannot speak).

You can act as long you does not collapse of lost FP. And if you have a high enougth spell skill, you can cast yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Tinman

Follow up: can one hold their breath one the choke spell is in place?
That would make Choke not so useful.

ps: thx for the link & all the responces.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
giganerds

As long I can say, Choke Spell jump direct to the part "your air runs out", so I think you cannot hold your breath.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganerds
As long I can say, Choke Spell jump direct to the part "your air runs out", so I think you cannot hold your breath.
That could be right, though I wouldn't mind giving someone who is already holding their breath a break in that regard.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
giganerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
That could be right, though I wouldn't mind giving someone who is already holding their breath a break in that regard.
Hum... mainly if she/he gets deep breath before.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Tinman

ok. That makes sense to me too.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
Fealoro

I have a problem with the Choke spell too.

The duration of the spell is 30 seconds. If every seconds the victim lose 1 FP as in Suffocation (B436), there is plenty of time to let the victim fall unconscious with only one spell cast. Also the spell is not mantained, but it last for an half minute itself, so there is no way for the victim to break free, even if the caster die.

I am right? I am missing something?
Fealoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fealoro View Post
The duration of the spell is 30 seconds. If every seconds the victim lose 1 FP as in Suffocation (B436), there is plenty of time to let the victim fall unconscious with only one spell cast. Also the spell is not mantained, but it last for an half minute itself, so there is no way for the victim to break free, even if the caster die.
Yeah, it's a fairly potent spell, especially against already exhausted opponents. A lot can happen on the GURPS timescale while you're waiting for those FP to drop to zero, though.

Compare Total Paralysis and Wither Limb on the same page. Those are just as crippling, but are instant effect. Body Control mages are nasty.

Tags
choke, spells