Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Ulzgoroth

Default [Low-Tech] Which pieces of armor have neck gaps?

LT101 gives us, among other things, neck armor gaps targeted at -8.

But I'm not sure when and how they work.

Just targeting the neck is at -5, so this has to be working around some sort of armor. But which armor? By a literal reading, any non-flexible neck protection, but that seems hard to believe.

A Turret is a big, bulky, more than neck-covering tube with nothing like articulation. Does it really have gaps?

Does a Bevor have gaps? The pictures I find are of big solid metal plates that don't seem like they'd have any such vulnerability.

Scale Aventail and (segmented plate) Lobsterback?

Probably any Greathelm that isn't fixed to the torso armor has neck gaps?

I assume a Gorget is the perfect example of armor with neck gaps...
Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Blood Legend

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Which pieces of armor have neck gaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I assume a Gorget is the perfect example of armor with neck gaps...
This is a problem I'm having.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rget_(PSF).png

How does a gorget have gaps? It's a rigid plate that covers the entire neck: Gaps, there are none. Am I missing something?

Edit: Chinks, obviously, you're impossibly trying to stab between armor folds. Gaps? Not so much.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 07-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Aneirin

From what I read (I am sure that someone more knowledgeable will come along and say differently) is that if armur has gaps you can target them.

However, if the armour has protection, such as sliding rivets for the armpits or backs of the knees, you can't target these gaps. You can go for weaknesses for half HP, but not completely ignore DR.

With neck armour, if you do purchase something that specifically armours the neck, well you have covered up the gap, so it can't be targetted anymore.

It looks like the only gap that can't be covered this way is the palms of the hand, unless someone went for a full gauntlet and gave themselves bad grip.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Polydamas

If you are using the Armour Gaps optional rule from LT, all rigid armour provides DR 0 to gaps. Wearing a layer of flexible armour underneath (or an arming doublet which includes such armour) will give the gaps DR, and Sliding Rivets make the gaps of Plate harder to hit.

I can't say what gaps in 15th-16th century European neck protection the authors were thinking about, but the gap in a mouth-high Mycenaean turret would probably be a stab from above, and the gap in a jaw-high Egyptian turret would be a stab between the bottom of the jaw and the top of the cuirass. There are always some judgement calls: for example, some Japanese mail leg armour was made in several pieces and might have a Knee Gap even though its flexible!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Aneirin

Just reading through the low tech rules, and its arming doublets that protect elbows, armpits and backs of knees with plate mail.

And the neck armour I reckon does cover the gaps as low tech on describing the neck as being vulnerable due to difficulty in proteting refers to pages 112 to 113 to armour it. Some only protect the front, others only do the back. A gorget seems to offer good protection
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
DanHoward

The Loadouts book introduces a gorget that has no gap at the neck. It is articulated and fits into a turn that allows the head to move. Earlier neck guards either had gaps or they prevented the head from moving. The Loadouts book has these too but adds combat penalties. They were uncomfortable enough that some decided to fight without them.

Last edited by DanHoward; 07-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The Loadouts book introduces a gorget that has no gap at the neck. It is articulated and fits into a turn that allows the head to move. Earlier neck guards either had gaps or they prevented the head from moving. The Loadouts book has these too but adds combat penalties. They were uncomfortable enough that some decided to fight without them.
Judging by this comment, seemingly this book is going to have, besides loadouts, new optional rules and crunch concerning armor, along the lines of GURPS Low-Tech, Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors and Instant Armor.

(I'll wait to the release of Low-Tech: Loadouts for binding the three LT compendia and the other two books together.)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, low-tech