Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-31-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
Ronnke

Default Indomitable-class Battleship

As my holiday project, I want to do some Traveller ship modelling and I've decided to tackle a reasonably detailed version of the Terran Confederation Indomitable class battleship. I've done the measurements and at 30,000 dton displacement, the Indomitable comes in at 347m in length. That's a little larger than a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

It's still very early and there's a lot to do, but I've linked an image that shows off the scale of this ship. Note the guy standing at the end of the spinal mount.

Link to draft renders

I'll post updates from time to time.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
ldj00

Default Re: Indomitable-class Battleship

Hello,

Interesting, but is that a bridge on the top, or is that some kind of launch bay?

Either way, looks kind of exposed.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Ronnke

That is the bridge as it appears in the books. I have since made a few minor design changes to it, so it looks slightly different now. Personally, I've never really understood why non atmospheric ships even have a traditional bridge. I would imagine spaceships and especially warships to be more like submarines, with the command and control deep within the hull.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
ldj00

Hello,

I agree, the important parts should be dead center, surrounded by lots of redundant hardware, which is then surrounded in fuel/water tanks, both to act as armor (ie, mass) and for radiation shielding.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
Hello,

I agree, the important parts should be dead center, surrounded by lots of redundant hardware, which is then surrounded in fuel/water tanks, both to act as armor (ie, mass) and for radiation shielding.
Or, more likely, as close to the center line as possible, but spaced throughout the hull so that no single location can be targeted to cripple the vessel.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Or, more likely, as close to the center line as possible, but spaced throughout the hull so that no single location can be targeted to cripple the vessel.
Well, there are communication advantages to be had by having your command staff all in one place. Even if you can wire your ship to allow real-time communication, you still have the problem of battle damage severing that communication at the moment it matters most. More likely is a Bridge and an Auxiliary which are both fully staffed. If one is destroyed, the other takes control of the vessel. The CO mans the bridge and the XO mans the auxiliary.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:37 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj00 View Post
I'm far from a Traveller Universe expert, but my impression was that according to canon, Hivers are the only significant species that does it that way.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Rupert

I would just assume that that is the bridge used in non-combat situations, because people like to be able to see out. Or, assume it's part of the admiral's suite and used for entertaining.

It's certainly not going to be the combat bridge or command centre. They'll be buried deep in the guts of the ship.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I would just assume that that is the bridge used in non-combat situations, because people like to be able to see out. Or, assume it's part of the admiral's suite and used for entertaining.

It's certainly not going to be the combat bridge or command centre. They'll be buried deep in the guts of the ship.
Maybe it's the Indomitable's equivalent to Ten-Forward.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote