Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
scc

Default [Space] Anyone Ever Run A Campgain Based Off Of Wild Life?

OK, first up Wild Life is one of the worked examples designed for Space that had to be cut. The chapter 7 and 8 vignette's are set in that setting and the full details can be read here: http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/sample.html?id=5878

So has anyone ran a campaign based upon this? What was it about? Do you have any advice for someone interested in running it?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Space] Anyone Ever Run A Campgain Based Off Of Wild Life?

No, but I've wondered about where that particular setting came from. Thanks for pointing it out!

I will admit I'm a little at a loss as to what the 'default' adventure in such a game would be. high tech espionage, perhaps?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I will admit I'm a little at a loss as to what the 'default' adventure in such a game would be. high tech espionage, perhaps?
I would think it would be similar to the modern V series and series like that.... but on the other side of the occupation of course.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Infornific

Interesting concept, but the whole modify humans to be less competitive etc seems misguided. Making humans more cooperative would make them more dangerous, not less - you've just solved a whole lot of collective action problems for them. Sounds like a good way for the conquerors to get subverted.

Of course that could make for a darkly humorous campaign - a combined New Human/Tarcaseru alliance takes over and the Shahar and Wild humans desperately join up to oppose them.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Interesting concept, but the whole modify humans to be less competitive etc seems misguided. Making humans more cooperative would make them more dangerous, not less - you've just solved a whole lot of collective action problems for them. Sounds like a good way for the conquerors to get subverted.

Of course that could make for a darkly humorous campaign - a combined New Human/Tarcaseru alliance takes over and the Shahar and Wild humans desperately join up to oppose them.
If they diminish aggression along with competition, or channel it into technological/creative rather than physical/psychological expressions, not so much of a problem.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think the best way to stave off species based rebellion is to tweak with our Us vs. Them mentality. If you can get us to accept non-humans as Us, then we would rarely if ever rebel.
Imagine what aliens would have to do to make you rebel vs. what your second cousins would have to do to make you rebel violently.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think the best way to stave off species based rebellion is to tweak with our Us vs. Them mentality. If you can get us to accept non-humans as Us, then we would rarely if ever rebel.
Imagine what aliens would have to do to make you rebel vs. what your second cousins would have to do to make you rebel violently.
I actually know of some situations where cousins would be rebelled against more violently and quickly than strangers/aliens would.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I actually know of some situations where cousins would be rebelled against more violently and quickly than strangers/aliens would.
True, but as a vague statistic, people are more likely to side with relatives than against. My country, right or wrong. My family, right or wrong.

I imagine that the first order of business is to reduce trouble rather than trying for perfection right out of the gate.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
RyanW

It vaguely reminds me of the campaign I've been running recently (currently in a holding pattern while we hash out who is and isn't going to be able to be a part of it). Except that alien invasion occurs in 1938, and is taking place "in the now" rather than being part of the background. My invaders, though, are a cosmopolitan alliance of species, only a few of which the players have encountered.

Spoiler:  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The real objection I have is that the subject races don't appear to have been tinkered with to make them more tractable. I can see the Qasuti being left alone and the Tarcaser slipping under the radar, but the ascended and Gustrogin still have will 10. Its possible that they started out with higher wills and selfish, but I don't think that really fits.

That said, I think this thread has inspired me to start a campaign loosely based on the setting. I plan on toning down the alien stats, changing the superscience to allow portals onto planets, and starting the story during the invasion (and in modern times), but otherwise the setting should be quite similar.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space