Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Attribute increase : too cheap ?

Remember in D6 the cost to raise skills slides as the skill gets higher so even costing 10x the cost to raise a stat compared to a skill it will become a really good deal when skills get high enough
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paydalanw View Post
if you really want to "balance", you can set extra payment in form of Special Training [X*], when players want to buy attribute level above, say, 15-16.
Page 21 of Power-Ups 2 (Perks) has this for buying attributes above the racial norm, though that's said to be above 20 for humans.

I guess you'd determine norms for other races by whatever bonuses/penalties come from the template. If you had a gender template (say +1 to ST/-1 to HT for males or -1 to ST/+1 to HT for females?) you could probably adjust the 'norm' you need Special Exercises to go beyond for that too.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
Mavelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I just feel this CP exchange between attributes and skills is not appropriate; you know, skill level also reflects the time you invested polishing a skill.
(...)
I understand your arguments and I must give you reason on some points.
However, this method of "return of points" solves a problem known to the GMs: the newcomers.
When a player arrives during the campaign and has to create his character with the new points reached by the first players, he has much more latitude to create his character, especially concerning the attributes he can climb a little higher than what other players were allowed to do. I often found that it was not fair, even if we apply a penalty of entry into play of 10-20%.
In short, there is no ideal solution, but that's why the idea of "return points" I like. I will do a test and I will advise.
Mavelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
Mavelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Remember in D6 the cost to raise skills slides as the skill gets higher so even costing 10x the cost to raise a stat compared to a skill it will become a really good deal when skills get high enough
Sure, but it is 10 times the original cost, not x1 like in gurps, that why i was wondering if it was balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Page 21 of Power-Ups 2 (Perks) (...)
Thank you, i'm going to look at this attentively.
Mavelic is offline   Reply With Quote