Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #101
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire" characters

On that note Mormont's raven might be IQ 16+ before the racial adjustment.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #102
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Is there anyone you would put in that 17 or better range for IQ? I just wanted an example to put in the extraordinary range.
I'm guessing some of the maesters will probably have high end intelligence. Especially since high IQ really means "broad range of high IQ skills", and that is something the maesters have. The sphinx I believe was mentioned as quickly picking up links of the sphinx's chain.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #103
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I'm guessing some of the maesters will probably have high end intelligence. Especially since high IQ really means "broad range of high IQ skills", and that is something the maesters have. The sphinx I believe was mentioned as quickly picking up links of the sphinx's chain.
I guess I could see Aemon having very high IQ, but he's the only maester we've met that I would put quite that high (at least as of the start of A Storm of Swords; I really need to do catch up on my reading this weekend).
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #104
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Tyrion at ST 7 does run into problems with encumbrance in full harness and Min ST with an axe at the Battle of the Blackwater that I'm not sure is actually supportable in the text.
After Catelyn cuts the rope holding his wrists together, he still appears to need 2 hands to use a shield designed for 1-handed use. He appears to add a 2nd hand for support almost immediately after picking it up. B273/B287 doesn't list ST requirements for shields, nor does LT116, but maybe if the weight of a shield exceeded your basic lift then you would need to use 2 hands to wield it as if it were one-handed?

ST7 would give BL9.8 (only allowing light @ 2lbs or small @8lbs) but 2H lift is 19.6 pounds which would open up the medium's 15lb weight (large still off limits at 25). In terms of the adjusted LT116 weights, this would open up:
1) the Comanche
2) the Large Shield (Light)
3) the Homerick Buckler (Medium)
4) the Medium Shield (Heavy)
5) the Argive Shield
6) the Roman Scutum (medium)
7) the Heater Shield
8) the Kite Shield
9) the Dueling Long Shield

Only the Homerick Buckler (Large) and Large Shield (Heavy) and Roman Scutum (Large) still being off limits at 20/20/22.

Not sure what type of shield he used, it's shown here in season 1.

That or maybe it's possible to use Defensive Grip with shields to apply 2 hands and get +1 damage for -2 to hit? His thrust would be so low he'd need it to avoid 0-damage.

After he bashes the guy in the groin and his foe suffers knockdown, I notice he shifts his grip to the top of the shield (rather than the handles) to get better leverage to strike downward. This would expose his fingers to people striking the shield from the front/top but actually places them further away from a lying-down foe.

Is that maybe a possible combination of Defensive Grip with Reverse Grip? I don't think you can normally combine those grips to get a +2 damage but maybe a Perk could allow it and Tyrion would'be bought the perk since as a low-ST dwarf he would want to maximize all possible ways to enhance his damage.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 AM   #105
Gadget

looks like a Norman/Saxon Kite sheild
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #106
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
After Catelyn cuts the rope holding his wrists together, he still appears to need 2 hands to use a shield designed for 1-handed use. He appears to add a 2nd hand for support almost immediately after picking it up. B273/B287 doesn't list ST requirements for shields, nor does LT116, but maybe if the weight of a shield exceeded your basic lift then you would need to use 2 hands to wield it as if it were one-handed?
I understood this to be not because he wasn't strong enough, but because the shield was too big...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #107
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
looks like a Norman/Saxon Kite sheild
That has a weight of 18, so even if we estimated Tyrion at 8 as Wildcat suggested, or 9 as NineDaysDead posited, that would only boost BL from 9.8 to 13 or 16.

Tyrion might have the Lifting skill to get him past the finishing line?

Dwarfism seems suited for shield use since reach-1 would change shields from a Range 1 to Range C weapon, allowing you to bash enemies in Close Combat without needing to take the -4 to hit for "Long Weapons in Close Combat".
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones