Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
Tinman

Default [DF] One turn missile spell cast & attack

I'm GMing a DF campaign. I'm looking to build an advantage that would let a spell caster create & attack with a missile spell on the same turn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [DF] One turn missile spell cast & attack

Will this be for any missile spell? Or just a single missile spell that the caster has specialized in?

If it's the first, I'd suggest that Alternate Time Rate is the advantage to build on, with an Accessibility limitation, "Only to take the Attack action after successfully Concentrating on a Missile spell", which I think is reasonably priced at -80%, thus putting the advantage at 20 points.

For the second, I'd recommend a perk per missile spell, but the prerequisite would be having the missile spell at level 20 or higher, the first level where it reduces spellcasting time. It would allow you to attack as part of the Concentrate maneuver for casting the spell, but if want to do anything that couldn't be covered by a regular Attack maneuver (Move and Attack, All-Out Attack, etc.), you'd still have to wait until the next turn.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I'm GMing a DF campaign. I'm looking to build an advantage that would let a spell caster create & attack with a missile spell on the same turn.

There's a variant of Gunslinger that does what you want; the most recent variant is in Pyramid #3/109. It allows a caster to cast a missile spell and throw it as a rapid strike.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Dolarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

I offer a new magical perk:

Rapid Casting
You can cast and attack with a combat spell in the same turn. In the final second of concentration of a Melee, Jet, or Missile spell, you can choose to take a -6 penalty on the casting roll. If you do so, you may make an immediate attack roll to deliver that spell (using the appropriate attack skill) also at a -6 penalty. You must specialize by combat spell.

If you have many spells in which you wish to specialize in this way, you may be better off with the Rapid Spell Adept advantage.

And, the new advantage:

Rapid Spell Adept [5]
You are considered to have the Rapid Casting perk for all eligible spells you know.

This is priced like Off-Hand Training and Ambidexterity.

I am also experimenting with a Weapon Master varient for spells that would reduce the penalty, or the penalties could be bought off using techniques.

Hope this inspires.
Dolarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
A Ladder

I build it as Compartmentalized Mind (No Mental Separation -20%; Missile spells only -30%; Only to be used in combination with an Attack maneuver -10%) [20]. I call it Blast and Cast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Gotta be fast to escape the propaganda machine of Viking swiftness
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Rupert

I'd consider allowing the same trick as Archers, etc. get taking a -6 roll to ready and then attack at -6. Then I'd allow an advantage 'Spellslinger' for 20 points that works like Heroic Archer, and thus halves these penalties, and allows Acc without aiming. As missile spell don't have any bulk, I'd add some other benefits into it like perhaps not needing to make a Will roll to keep holding a missile spell when injured.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote