Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #11
DarbyMcD

Default Re: Wanted: New Adventures

I would jump in with a recommendation for Zeitgeist by En Publishing. They have a versions for DnD 5 and 4 as well as PF1. I am trying to convert the first section to GURPS for my next campaign.

It is sort of steam punk fantasy (I think that is what you call it). Basically what happens in the Industrial Revolution of a Fantasy world. It is designed as a mega campaign 1-20th level, but they do offer lots of ways of chopping and mixing sections for shorter runs at various power levels. I am planning on a GURPS equivalent of 2-10 or so, using just the first of 3 parts.

he adventures are well mixed, running from investigation, dungeon delve, fortress assault, planar travel. They are a bit bare bones at times, and it is primarily set in one city that has very little fluff given. So good and bad that. It is not sooo easy to drop into other settings without a fair amount of work because there are lots of historical and philosophical aspects to the plot, but you can pull lots of that out for the early third.

One reason I really would like to run it with GURPS though is to really show the difference between tech solutions (mostly guns) and magical ones. In PF and 5e the real difference is just cosmetic. A crossbow and a firearm both attack once per round and do similar damage. Gurps lets me get more of the tradeoff feeling. But I will say the 4e version has some really fun encounter design. Lots of cool abilities and such.
DarbyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #12
Apollonian

You could always try to do something with The Great Pendragon Campaign.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:50 AM   #13
shawnhcorey

John Large at the Red Dice Diaries says an adventure starts with someone wanting something so badly they'll do anything to get it. And that someone is the villain.

It's hard to come up with ideas for adventures in someone else's campaign without knowing the details of that campaign. Most of the answers you'll get won't fit into your campaign. I think you'll be better off making a list of all the highly-desirable somethings in your campaign and go from there.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #14
Fred Brackin

I want to thank everyone who's made helpful suggestions.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #15
L.J.Steele

Pelgrane's Swords of the Serpentine should be coming out soon (and I think is already available in PDF) -- you could likely loot the setting into other systems. Think Venice by way of Lankmarr.
L.J.Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:32 PM   #16
dcarson

Mongoose has several Traveller campaigns. Like https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/p...ates-of-drinax
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Pelgrane's Swords of the Serpentine should be coming out soon (and I think is already available in PDF) -- you could likely loot the setting into other systems. Think Venice by way of Lankmarr.
Do they have large and well-developed published adventures for thsi setting? A new setting alone isn't what I'm looking for.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #18
thalcos

King for a Day is a wonderful low-fantasy/early medieval sandbox adventure. It is the very definition of large and well-developed, and features dozens (hundreds?) of well-developed NPCs, storylines, and mysteries, even though it's focused on a small rural region. A truly well-crafted RPG product. Best, it's system-less, so really easy to convert to whatever you want.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #19
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Do they have large and well-developed published adventures for thsi setting? A new setting alone isn't what I'm looking for.
Book is brand new -- pdf is out, physical book got delayed by Covid and supply chain. There's some expansion material for it.

This is what I could find for adventure seeds:
https://pelgranepress.com/category/p...he-serpentine/

Last edited by L.J.Steele; 05-24-2022 at 01:49 PM.
L.J.Steele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #20
Fred Brackin

Well, we've started a new 5e campaign and I'm playing rather than GM'ing so this quest has been put on the back burner.

If you wonder I'm a Barbarian. For mechanics I'm Human and have the Savage Attacker Feat and it's Fun! My first attack was 17pts of damage. You can roll your damage die twice and take the better one. How much this improves damage for a D12 seems complicated.

For roleplaying I at least looked at the list of Traits in the Outlander background and decided that I was the last of my tribe. For a trinket I got a metal urn with the ashes of a hero inside. I decided this was Grandfather and Wolfred, last of the Red Wolf tribe talks to him pretty frequently.

Wolf's Dwarven friend Ulfgar got a mummified goblin hand. Grandfather says it's evil and Ulf shouldn't listen to it.

We've already established a tradition that Wolf and Ulf lead the marching order and wish they ahd better Perception scores.