Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using Alternate Abilities

I am curious, how many people actually use Alternate Abilities as a standard part of their games? In generally, I find them to be cheaper and more useful than Modular Abilities, though they are admittedly less flexible. What about you?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Using Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am curious, how many people actually use Alternate Abilities as a standard part of their games? In generally, I find them to be cheaper and more useful than Modular Abilities, though they are admittedly less flexible. What about you?
My players vary. Frameworks such as AA are something I encourage, but don't necessarily mandate for player-made attacks and abilities; the stuff I build uses them extensively. Well ... a variant, but close enough for conversational purposes. ;)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
newton

i see AA as a way to incentivize having a larger range of attacks then one attack with a ton of dice
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

I've never played a character who started with an AA, but I've found them very useful for adding abilities with earned points, since they can fit into that cost scale much more readily than large new abilities.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
CeeDub

All the time, especially in Supers games. Most powers have a ton of possible applications that are best written up as AAs. If yours doesn't, your power sucks or you're not inventive enough.

For example, one of my favourites, Telekinesis: TK itself, Binding, Flight, Damage Resistance, Innate Attack, Affliction... as a minimum. :)
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Ailluminus

I use them extensively as a GM, but I'd be hesitant to let players design Alternate Abilities for themselves, as without strict oversight it's vastly easy to abuse. It's one of those things that can potentially unbalance GURPS if not carefully restricted by setting.
Ailluminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
My players vary. Frameworks such as AA are something I encourage, but don't necessarily mandate for player-made attacks and abilities; the stuff I build uses them extensively. Well ... a variant, but close enough for conversational purposes. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailluminus View Post
I use them extensively as a GM, but I'd be hesitant to let players design Alternate Abilities for themselves, as without strict oversight it's vastly easy to abuse. It's one of those things that can potentially unbalance GURPS if not carefully restricted by setting.
These two posts pretty much sum up my position. In many cases alternate abilities are a life-saver and I consider them essential to putting magic as powers on equal footing as other magic systems. I love them and use them extensively as a GM.

My players are of three types. The first doesn't get it, and won't volunteer to use it, but will respond pleasantly if I do the work for them. The second kind looks at it greedily and tries to make widely disparate abilities aimed at conserving points rather than fleshing out descriptions. The third kind of player is defined as "easy to work with" and is either the rarest or the least memorable, and I'm not sure which.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Refplace

I'm currently in 2 campaigns and starting another.
In the DF game I use them as a player for a custom magic as powers setup. I dont think anyone else uses them but there straight DF templates. I also use alternative enhancements.
In a fantasy campaign I run there a staple of all the magic or chi as powers systems.
In the upcoming Supers campaign they are pretty much on every character built so far.

There is a reason that both Divine Favor and Sorcery use alternative abilities. Without them it would be much harder to keep up with non powers based magic systems.
I also use and allow Power Stunting but AA is better during play as the abilities are prebuilt. Power Stunts and Modular Abilities can be a prob;em at the table as the player is able to build abilities on the fly. I encourage prebuilding abilities as if they were AAs even if there just going to be stunted to avoid pausing play while a player does the math.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
Celti

For my group, asking if we use Alternate Abilities is like asking if we use Enhancements and Limitations — they're a core part of the system, of course we use them when they're relevant.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It's important to me that all the Alternate Abilities slots be reasonable as applications of the same basic super ability. For example take my NPC Medusa Gaze. Her ability is to fascinate people who look at her so at the base level it increases her attractiveness to Very Beautiful to everyone who doesn't have a minde shield, and if she concentrates it on one target, she mentally controls them with one command "Stand still and don't even breathe". If she were to acquire the ability to grow long claws on her hands, that has nothing to do with her fascination power, so she can't add it as an alternate.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote