Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
bearit

Default New Install Error 6: Overflow

I've been having a really frustrating experience trying to get GCA4 to work properly. Everything seems to be fine except when I try to make a New Meta-Trait or Racial Template. The program brings up the window asking to name the New Meta-Trait. After entering the name and pushing okay, the program brings up a box saying the following:

clsItem:NewTagList: Error 6: Overflow

It also shows a log in the background that I can barely see because it is behind another window. It lists "Unknown directive: #newitem(" several times following by "clsItem:NewTagList: Error 6: Overflow" again.

I've reinstalled several times on two different computers using Windows 10. I've installed both the Patcher and the Data Update each time. I've only ever loaded the Basic Set data file.

Not sure what to do. Please help. Thanks
bearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: New Install Error 6: Overflow

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=161466

I believe this is the same ?

Solution: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...81#post1719681
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
bearit

Yes, I’ve seen that thread. I’m only using the Basic Set data file on a new install. The issue with too many data files shouldn’t be an issue. There is the work around by saving as a template file, but I’m surprised using one of the main functions like New Meta Trait is so problematic...
bearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

I'm sorry you're encountering problems.

The platform GCA4 is written on has some memory constraint issues that will crop up when trying to do certain things, and that includes building really long lists. That is what happens with some of the _New traits.

GCA wasn't built to support lists built from such huge volumes of data as are assembled in some of those traits, so depending on your setup, you'll run into problems sooner or later.

_New X traits aren't at all main functions. They're data "add-ons" of sorts that were added to help guide folks through certain constructions. There's basically nothing there you couldn't do by editing existing traits yourself to create a new trait.

The intended way to create new meta-traits that can be re-used on other characters is to create the 'character' and save it as a template in a file. A good alternative way to create a meta-trait for a particular character is to use child items added to a parent trait.

The _New traits are helpful to a lot of people, and most don't encounter the memory issue so quickly as you have. I'm sorry it's not working out as being helpful for you as it was intended.