Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: Theoretical question: Hardcover vs softcover adventure

I'm more with Bruno on this. Lay flat sounds nice but I prefer softcover for shorter books, hardcover for reference type or display books.
Hardcover lets me find a specific book on a shelf faster, something I wouldn't need for an adventure book. Unless it was also a reference book (like several cool monsters). Reference I would however also prefer PDF.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Just in case it was not clear, PDF is assured because one makes a PDF and then send the PDF to the printer. Outputting a lower resolution and hyperlinked file for digital viewing is essentially trivial and free by the time you get done with the layout process. Only the cover material changes.

I have looked into hard versus soft cover, and as long as one orders 100 or more copies of the hardcover and the balance in soft cover, as long as those to add up to 1000 units or more I can mix or match. So there will be room for choice in the event that it becomes a reality.

Finally, there seem to be about 764 million different binding styles, and soft cover with a lay flat option is one of them. I will look into it in more detail.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 11-28-2018 at 07:04 AM.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just in case it was not clear, PDF is a shored...
It's a shored? Excellent! No need to break out the longboat and go a'viking boys, this one's ashore already!

;) Yeah I figured as much. Just though I'd chime in my "pdf level" support for whatever Nordland adventures you send down the pike.

Yeh've got my axe!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #24
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I have looked into hard versus soft cover, and as long as one orders 100 or more copies of the hardcover and the balance in soft cover, as long as those to add up to 1000 units or more I can mix or match. So there will be room for choice in the event that it becomes a reality.
This is good news. I've been hemming and hawing about what I would prefer. I think I agree with the idea of softcover for shorter adventure books and hardcover for longer books. This might just be because Tradition.

I might just need to buy both to compare the options (plus a PDF for searching, natch).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #25
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I might just need to buy both to compare the options (plus a PDF for searching, natch).
Let me also suggest a special edition holographic foil cover so Dalin can compare all 4 versions!
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #26
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Let me also suggest a special edition holographic foil cover so Dalin can compare all 4 versions!
Yes! As everyone knows, all things are best in sets of four.

(I just know teacher salaries are going to triple next year... the tea leaves said so.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:44 PM   #27
ArchonShiva

Line consistency.

Books that look good together on the shelf, have the title and logos at the same spot and same direction on their side, and use consistent layout unless there’s a huge upgrade in useability.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Black Leviathan

I appreciate the instinct to protect one's precious but for my money it's a Silk Shirt on a Pig. An adventure source book is probably something I'll run once or twice. And at the end of that I'll probably never read again. A softcover more than gives it enough protection for that. If my books will have to last dozens of games with players pawing through them and writing on them, hardcover is prudent but it's really not needed for an adventure, even a truely amazing adventure. I think the utility of being able to slip it into my DF box is worth more than the fanciness of a hardcover.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I appreciate the instinct to protect one's precious but for my money it's a Silk Shirt on a Pig.
My nostalgic response: Some things are just worth having in hardback.

Personally, no, it's not worth it to me. No adventure I've ever bought has been, not even GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders or B2 Keep on the Borderlands (both of which I've run so many times it's not funny). However, if I could get the old GAZ series in hardback? Yeah, I might.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

For what it's worth, the overwhelming majority have requested softcover 8x10 format for a notional future Dungeon Fantasy RPG adventure. Or three.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote