Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #51
larsdangly

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent

Maybe hiding and sneaking around in the wilderness could just use the move silent and spy talents? Perhaps we think of them as 'thief' abilities, but there is no reason to have two talents that do effectively the same thing, just inside vs. outside.

More generally, I think 'consistency' is a dangerous goal with a game like this because it will force you into a kind of taxonomic construction of hundreds of talents.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #52
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Maybe hiding and sneaking around in the wilderness could just use the move silent and spy talents? Perhaps we think of them as 'thief' abilities, but there is no reason to have two talents that do effectively the same thing, just inside vs. outside.

More generally, I think 'consistency' is a dangerous goal with a game like this because it will force you into a kind of taxonomic construction of hundreds of talents.
Yeah, I suppose. If you think consistency is a bad thing then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #53
Rick_Smith

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent-> Silent MA / Hiding.

Hi all,
TFT does not really have a Hiding / Camouflage talent. This would be a boon to Rangers, Thieves, Ninja's, Spies, etc. I think Steve Jackson has added some talents to the new TFT. Hopefully this has not been overlooked.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #54
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
TFT does not really have a Hiding / Camouflage talent. This would be a boon to Rangers, Thieves, Ninja's, Spies, etc. I think Steve Jackson has added some talents to the new TFT. Hopefully this has not been overlooked.

Warm regards, Rick.
To me, these effects are covered by the existing Silent Movement and Spying Talents and I think adding further Talents would just muddy the waters.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #55
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
To me, these effects are covered by the existing Silent Movement and Spying Talents and I think adding further Talents would just muddy the waters.
Hi Chris,
You can play that way, of course, but neither of those talents say anything like that. Further, my understanding is that Spying is being dropped and being replaced with an evasion talent to allow you to break away from pursuit.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #56
Mike P.

[QUOTE=guymc;2191064] (I wonder if you could recognizably do TFT-compatible play with 2 pages of rules, front and back. An interesting challenge for a “nanogame” version someday, maybe.

Hi Guy, everyone! I think it has already been done by Dark City Games. There Legends of the Ancient World rules which are compatible with TFT are 7 and a half small (5 1/2" by 8 1/2") pages which includes 1 cover page with artwork/credits. This includes character creation, skills, spells, weapons tables and game mechanics. I imagine this would probably fit on 2 full size pages front and back minus the cover art! I must admit the rule system would be pretty hard to grasp without prior knowledge of TFT.

There rules are posted for free on there website. Here is a link;

www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #57
Tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Hi Guy, everyone! I think it has already been done by Dark City Games. www.darkcitygames.com/docs/Legends.pdf
Yup. They win.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #58
larsdangly

How is 'spying' not a talent for hiding?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #59
ak_aramis

Quote:

This can be handled well by a career set...

Gamekeeper: Woodsman, move silent, spy, a ranged weapon, tracking.
Master Ranger: Woodsman, Alertness, Running, Climbing a ranged weapon, a melee weapon, naturalist, tracking
Ranger: woodsman, ranged weapon, melee weapon, naturalist, tracking.
Apprentice ranger: woodsman, tracking, a weapon.

Taking the Roman Church as a model
Mundane Talent: Roman Ritual (1 point)
Clerical talents: Bard, Charisma, Detect lies, Language-Latin, Literacy, Priest, MT-Scribe, Scholar, Theologian.
Acolyte: MT-RR
Subdeacon: MT-RR and one clerical talent, at least a year as an acolyte
Deacon: MT-RR and two clerical talents; at least a year as a subdeacon
Priest: Priest, MT-RR, and two other clerical talents, at least a year as a deacon.
Pastor: Priest, MT-RR, Business Sense, Literacy, one other clerical talent
Bishop: Priest, Theologian, MT-RR, Literacy, and 2 other talents. Mut be at least 30 years old, must have been a priest &/or pastor for at least 10 years.
Archbishop: same as bishop. Only allowed when the extant local archbishop dies.
Cardinal: bishop or archbishop for at least 5 years, or priest or pastor in the metropolitan area of the city of Rome.
Pope: cardinal, make sufficient followers at conclave following death of last pope,

If one wants clergy with magic - the religion should be able to specify a few spells which, once one has the priest talent, can be picked up by heroes at 1 slot each instead of the 3 normally used.

For example, Romans would get Aid at deacon (if the deacon takes the priest talent) as a clerical talent - as the Roman Ritual allows the giving of blessings by deacons from prepared books of blessings. Presbyters and pastors are allowed to wing it... but usually stick to the formulaic ones in the Book of Blessings, anyway.

Career paths like this can be used easily to flesh out a setting.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #60
Rick_Smith

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent - Hiding helps them and spies (and others).

Quote:
How is 'spying' not a talent for hiding?
Hi Larsdangly.
Just read the talent description in the old TFT. It has nothing on hiding or camouflage. It allows you to: 1) Open doors and look thru them with out people noticing the door has been opened, 2) breaking pursuit (even close pursuit) by duking around a corner, and 3) moving inconspicuously so that people do not notice you. (None of which are a good description of what spies do or how they work.)

Warm regards, Rick.